Pure cheese slices

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Pure cheese slices

Postby mabli » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:31 pm

This product is sooo bad that I had to spit it out after only a few seconds. Even so it had managed to get a thick layer of fat around the inside of my mouth that I could not remove for at least a minute. I cant remember ever having anything so gross in my entire life... if you see it on the shelves in ASDA just walk on by, and considering that it may well be a non vegan’s first taste of dairy free stuff its a bit disappointing. Ive not seen it before, but then I dont buy from ASDA very often so maybe not new.
mabli

Postby ninearms » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:05 pm

Horrid. Like feet-flavoured flour. I'll stick to Tofutti mozarella slices.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby xJimx » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:16 pm

Not tried these, but if they're anywhere near as bad as the Pure soft cheese stuff then I'll be steering well clear.
DYEL
xJimx

Postby downhillingdemon » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:38 pm

Well, I was absolutely shocked to find my (unfortunately non-vegan) bf addicted to these! We buy four packs every time we go to the supermarket and he eats them in 'cheese toasties'. They are actually pretty good on faitas and burreitos and work well in rolls with vegan sausages, mayo and tomato.

So I guess, as with most foods, it's just a matter of taste.

Couldn't stand the spread though, my goodness that stuff was awful - seemed like the stuff couldn't make it's mind up whether it was white chocolate or cheese spread. If it didn't have such an awful texture I would've been tempted to try it with jam on toast!
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Postby flightlessbirds » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:52 pm

downhillingdemon wrote: seemed like the stuff couldn't make it's mind up whether it was white chocolate or cheese spread.

That sounds horrid!

I really like the mozzarella cheezly, unfortunately I can't get it here except by paying way too much to order it from the States. I find my guts aren't too fond of any of the vegan cheeses though so I don't have to very often anyway.
flightlessbirds

Postby Big Good Wolf » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:28 pm

If anyone's got any Pure cheese they don't want, either spread or slices, send it to me, I'll eat it.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
Big Good Wolf

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby mabli » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm

I am so surprised that anyone can genuinely like this stuff, its really shocked me! Why eat this when there's scheese and tufutti?
mabli

Postby Big Good Wolf » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:52 pm

I could eat the soft stuff straight out of the tub with a spoon. :P
It's best in a sandwich though with cucumber.
The slices are best in a sandwich with pickle or tomato
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
Big Good Wolf

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby Catt Queen » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:56 pm

I had the Pure soft cheese stuff in my wraps today... wraps, cheese stuff, leafy salad and sliced orange and yellow peppers... absolutely lush! Works well with grated Cheezly too :wink:
Allie =^..^=
http://www.stronger.me.uk
Find me on Facebook
Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts.
That's what little girls are made of; to hell with sugar and spice.
Catt Queen

Postby spike » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:27 pm

I thought they were fine. I could take em or leave em though. just got them to see what they were like and had them on burgers. Probably wouldn't get them again just cos cheese slices aren't something I missed as a vegan or particularly ate as a omni / veggie.
spike

Postby JS » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:04 am

I like them - a mate bought them for me and I'm waiting to find the slices in the shops near me - great for a cheese salad sandwich. The tofutti slices taste pretty rank to me........now there's sweaty feet.............i give those a miss.
JS

Postby Superflor » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:45 am

I jumped up and down with glee when I saw these on the shelf in Morrisons Gibraltar but then was like, "Oh........ right" when it came t actually eating them. The cheese slices are crap.
Superflor

Postby Hiking Fox » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:48 pm

mabli wrote:I am so surprised that anyone can genuinely like this stuff, its really shocked me! Why eat this when there's scheese and tufutti?

Tried some on burgers and thought they were great.
Hiking Fox

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements