Anyone doing Taichi?

Yoga, Pilates, Body Balance and variations, general stretching and flexibility discussion.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Anyone doing Taichi?

Postby palden » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:45 am

How did your Taichi go? How did you fare as a vegetarian doing Taichi? different - i suppose?
In a paid class or individual? And importantly why Taichi?

I'd think Vegetarianism and Taichi (A form of Qigong) really complements each other well, both are harmonious and in tune and 'balance' with nature.

Both are graceful, and beautiful ...

fare well with Taichi, and do it individually now so no more monthly fees (albeit irregular), for health and help in altruistic spiritual path. just did a session yesterday atop a cool hill in one of Kuala Lumpur large landscaped garden-park.

:)

palden
palden

Re: Anyone doing Taichi?

Postby Clem Snide » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:03 pm

palden wrote:... Taichi (A form of Qigong)...

Tai chi is a martial art.
Clem Snide

Postby Enhydra Lutris » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:24 pm

I took classes in Tai Chi (the simplified 24 forms, but in Chen style) some years back. Unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to practise for a while after I stopped and then I couldn't remember it correctly. :cry:

By a stroke of luck (for me anyway) I was usually the only student present and therefore got private tuition for a group price. The teacher was a martial artist from China, which was great, since he explained the moves by showing me what strike/kick/etc they were mirrowing or by explaining it from a sports point of view (source of movement, balance etc). Somethings are based on Chinese culture, which he also explained. It makes sense to me if explained in that way (can't stand the touchy-feelgood explanations!).

During that time, I practiced the whole thing twice a day and made up exercises to help me reach some positions, which I did whenever I was bored of the books. So it's no surprise the difference in strenght, mobility and balance was quite noticeable afterwards. :D
They say the grass is greener on the other side
-- but have you ever flipped it over?
The Jean-Paul Sartre cookbook: "Today I made a Black Forest cake out of five pounds of cherries and a live beaver, challenging the very definition of the word cake."
Enhydra Lutris

Postby Clem Snide » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:42 pm

Enhydra Lutris wrote:By a stroke of luck (for me anyway) I was usually the only student present and therefore got private tuition for a group price.

I hate it when that happens - I always feel awkward as hell. The Englishman in me, I suppose.

I briefly had a go at that shortened Chen form some years back - a very dynamic and exciting style.

I have been training in Wudang style Tai Chi Chuan for almost five years now. Wonderful stuff.
Clem Snide

Postby palden » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:45 am

I took classes in Tai Chi (the simplified 24 forms, but in Chen style) some years back. Unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to practise for a while after I stopped and then I couldn't remember it correctly

I learned the traditional 75 forms chen style, and kind of unsure of some steps after some time of stoppage. Good thing i got a DVD by Chen XiaoWang to go through it. Or you can check out youtube for it.

palden

Postby Clem Snide » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:21 pm

Jaysus, I've just realised this thread on tai chi is in the Pilates forum. So it's come to this.
Clem Snide

Postby emm7 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:12 pm

I took tai chi classes about 10 years ago and really enjoyed it, it was taught by a Chinese Buddhist woman and she emphasised the spiritual aspects of it quite a bit. The way she taught it was as a form of moving meditation.
This is what really kick started me into getting interested in meditation, Buddhism, and the "sixth sense" ! It was a brilliant starting point.
I will never forget how she taught us that in Eastern thought the mind / consciousness resides in the HEART not the brain.
"she was my better half and I was just a dog"
"I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink"
"No, the moon ain't romantic, it's intimidating as hell
And some guy's trying to sell me a watch"
-- Tom Waits Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
emm7

Postby BlueRose » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:51 pm

I used to take Tai Chi and really miss it. I've been considering getting back into it.
BlueRose

Postby Clem Snide » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:06 am

emm7 wrote:I will never forget how she taught us that in Eastern thought the mind / consciousness resides in the HEART not the brain.

This theory can be swiftly disproved by removing your brain then trying to think.
Clem Snide

Postby emm7 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:09 am

Clem Snide wrote:
emm7 wrote:I will never forget how she taught us that in Eastern thought the mind / consciousness resides in the HEART not the brain.

This theory can be swiftly disproved by removing your brain then trying to think.

hey Clem it can also be disproved by removing your heart then trying to think ;-)
"she was my better half and I was just a dog"
"I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink"
"No, the moon ain't romantic, it's intimidating as hell
And some guy's trying to sell me a watch"
-- Tom Waits Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
emm7

Postby BlueRose » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:43 am

emm7 wrote:
Clem Snide wrote:

hey Clem it can also be disproved by removing your heart then trying to think ;-)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BlueRose

Postby Clem Snide » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:24 pm

emm7 wrote:
Clem Snide wrote:

You first...
Clem Snide

Re: Anyone doing Taichi?

Postby Cparkinson » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:56 pm

I did Tai chi for about a year and I really liked it. The only problem was I found that I started to have knee problems after awhile. You see I was standing at work all day and then standing during my Tai chi class in the evening. All that standing got to be too much and I had to stop. I'm sticking to my vegetarian diet though and I feel so much better because of it!

palden wrote:How did your Taichi go? How did you fare as a vegetarian doing Taichi? different - i suppose?
In a paid class or individual? And importantly why Taichi?

I'd think Vegetarianism and Taichi (A form of Qigong) really complements each other well, both are harmonious and in tune and 'balance' with nature.

Both are graceful, and beautiful ...

fare well with Taichi, and do it individually now so no more monthly fees (albeit irregular), for health and help in altruistic spiritual path. just did a session yesterday atop a cool hill in one of Kuala Lumpur large landscaped garden-park.

palden
Cparkinson

Return to Yoga, Pilates, Body Balance Forum