vegan contraception

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby Cookie » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:27 pm

I'm looking in to getting the minerva coil soon- although I recognise that it isn't the best option when looking at things as a vegan, I figure it is better than an unwanted pregnancy. I have to admit that the idea of getting one is a little freaky though :shock:
Cookie

Postby mabli » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:33 pm

Cookie wrote:I have to admit that the idea of getting one is a little freaky though :shock:

Its fine, dont worry about it. Best is that you have hardly any periods which is fantastic and saves a fortune. My ex was terrified at first tho lol, but it didnt cause him any problems either
mabli

Postby Cookie » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:06 pm

mabli wrote:
Its fine, dont worry about it. Best is that you have hardly any periods which is fantastic and saves a fortune. My ex was terrified at first tho lol, but it didnt cause him any problems either

Thanks for the reassurance. I can be a bit of a coward with things like this- I very nearly wimped out of the smear test! If I can get over the idea of it I'll be fine, if not then I'll go for the injection. Need to join a GP and then go for it.
Cookie

Postby mabli » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:17 pm

DONT GET THE INJECTION... if it goes wrong you're stuck with it for a year!

The mirana's just a bit undignified for a few mins then your set up for six years.
mabli

Postby Cookie » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:49 pm

I'll try and toughen up a bit then!

Why isn't there just an off switch? :roll:
Cookie

Postby Fruitbat » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:44 pm

i am keen to try the coil one day but so far all contraceptive hormonal thingies have also affected my mood and sex drive quite significantly so am reluctant...
Fruitbat

Postby ska face » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:07 pm

[quote="Cookie"]I can be a bit of a coward with things like this- I very nearly wimped out of the smear test![/quote]

I'm glad you didn't - they are very important - I had one last month which picked up severe abnormalities in the cells and I am going for a colposcopy in a couple of weeks to see what needs to be done.

Please keep on with them.
ska face

Postby Cookie » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:51 pm

I hope everything turns out ok Ska face.
Cookie

Postby Fruitbat » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:02 pm

At present I have decided to try Natural Family Planning i.e. trying to figure out my fertile period each cycle from certain clues the body gives us. I know this is a slightly riskier way and I may also buy Persona to back up the process but if done correctly this method is apparently very effective - of course the difficulty is not making mistakes! Anyone here tried this?
Fruitbat

Postby virago » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:41 pm

Fruitbat wrote:i am keen to try the coil one day but so far all contraceptive hormonal thingies have also affected my mood and sex drive quite significantly so am reluctant...

I'm on the non-hormonal coil, which doesn't affect mood/sex drive. It makes periods a little heavier but they settle down after 6 months or so.

Everyone I know who has tried the natural method has ended up preggers, but then I'm not sure they were the type to gaze at their cervix to properly check...
My vegan Etsy shop

Vegiburger wrote:The good news is no one has ever died of a really bad case of cellulite.

Clem Snide wrote:If you can't grow a real one, harnessing your inner beard is sufficient.
virago

Postby helmut » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:35 am

virago wrote:
Fruitbat wrote:i am keen to try the coil one day but so far all contraceptive hormonal thingies have also affected my mood and sex drive quite significantly so am reluctant...

I'm on the non-hormonal coil, which doesn't affect mood/sex drive. It makes periods a little heavier but they settle down after 6 months or so.

Everyone I know who has tried the natural method has ended up preggers, but then I'm not sure they were the type to gaze at their cervix to properly check...

yes i know people who've ended up pregnant that used this way but only because they didn't follow it properly.. the trouble i guess is that you are horniest when you either have to abstain or use protection.. but if you're responsible and know yourself well i think its a pretty good method!!
*take me to the mediocrity dungeon*
helmut

Postby Benzine » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:05 am

The coil isn't a contraception is it? Conception isn't hindered, it just prevents a fertilized egg from implanting on the wall of the womb. For that reason my girlfriend and I don't want to use it, we stick with condoms for now.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_some_methods_of_contraception
Benzine

Postby Catt Queen » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:27 pm

After my experience with the injection (depo provera), I would never recommend anyone to use it. I know many people are happy on it, but I honestly did not realise how badly it was affecting me until I came off it. The no periods may sound appealing, but it is not a natural state for women to be in and does no good in the long run.

I'm sterilised now. Had to kick and scream and threaten them with legal action (after finding out the gyno had lied to my GP) to get it done, but it's done and I don't regret it.
Catt Queen

Postby virago » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:46 pm

Benzine wrote:The coil isn't a contraception is it? Conception isn't hindered, it just prevents a fertilized egg from implanting on the wall of the womb. For that reason my girlfriend and I don't want to use it, we stick with condoms for now.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_some_methods_of_contraception

It is contraception, the copper changes the chemical balance of the womb so eggs cannot implant and more sperm are killed, and thickens the cervical mucus to make it harder for sperm to get in.

If you think that IUDs kill babies then you are mistaken, as not every egg will be fertilised, of those that are fertilised few survive for all sorts of reasons, and of those that survive only a few grow to full term.

That said, condoms are good for preventing STIs.
My vegan Etsy shop

Vegiburger wrote:The good news is no one has ever died of a really bad case of cellulite.

Clem Snide wrote:If you can't grow a real one, harnessing your inner beard is sufficient.
virago

Postby downhillingdemon » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:26 pm

ska face wrote:
I'm glad you didn't - they are very important - I had one last month which picked up severe abnormalities in the cells and I am going for a colposcopy in a couple of weeks to see what needs to be done.

Please keep on with them.

I only just read this - hope everything was ok.
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements