vegan contraception

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby virago » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:04 pm

moggy wrote:Yes, its shitty, but it is the only way to lead a normal life- my doctor used to joke that my PMS was so severe I could kill someone and not be held responsible. I also had horrendous problems with lack of coordination. My PMS could last for up to 5 or 6 weeks, ending only when I would 'flood' and beginning immediately again once I stopped flooding(usually after about 10 days). When I was getting too many days when my coordination meant I was not safe to drive, thats when the doctor put me on the pill. I used to hate the thought of being on the pill, but once I saw what a difference it made, I wish I'd done it years earlier. I've now been on it 15 years.

:( I'm sorry you have such trouble with your periods. It's not very fair how many women struggle with theirs :(
My vegan Etsy shop

Vegiburger wrote:The good news is no one has ever died of a really bad case of cellulite.

Clem Snide wrote:If you can't grow a real one, harnessing your inner beard is sufficient.
virago

Postby line » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:12 pm

mm.. I'm really not looking forward to having them again. I used to struggle with moods connected to PMS, and during pregnancy I've been more in harmony with life than I ever was. Feeling "calm and satisfyed" is really very nice.
Hope the pill can help keep the PMS away when I get my periods back.
Member of the PPAF
(Peace Preserving Aerobic Forces)

line

Postby joyinc » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:53 pm

i didnt read through the whole thread, so pardon me if this has been posted, but www.tcoyf.com is all natural, and you dont have to worry about getting a pharmaceutical product that is considered vegan by its ingredients, yet has been tested on animals... that one is a big concern for me, as well as unnatural hormones, so the shot is a no no for me

as well there are vegan condoms you can buy
joyinc

Postby Hiking Fox » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:26 pm

Sterilisation costs around £400 and is one of the best things you can ever pay for, unless you are comfortable with the idea of having kids and think you might change your mind later (I won't!)
Hiking Fox

Postby virago » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:03 pm

joyinc wrote:i didnt read through the whole thread, so pardon me if this has been posted, but www.tcoyf.com is all natural, and you dont have to worry about getting a pharmaceutical product that is considered vegan by its ingredients, yet has been tested on animals... that one is a big concern for me, as well as unnatural hormones, so the shot is a no no for me

I know many women who have used this..and ended up pregnant :shock:
I'm sure if you are vigilant it's fine, but it means no sex during ovulation (which is when you're damn horny anyway) and I'd be too worried about a mistake. Condoms are OK, not safe enough for my personal piece of mind but this varies from person to person. I love my IUD because it's non-hormonal, no more little lactose pills and as effective as tubal ligation. It's about as vegan a contraceptive that I am going to use.
My vegan Etsy shop

Vegiburger wrote:The good news is no one has ever died of a really bad case of cellulite.

Clem Snide wrote:If you can't grow a real one, harnessing your inner beard is sufficient.
virago

Postby moggy » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:25 pm

Hiking Fox wrote:Sterilisation costs around £400 and is one of the best things you can ever pay for, unless you are comfortable with the idea of having kids and think you might change your mind later (I won't!)

If its just for contracaeption, I think I'd agree. In my case I got told it wouldnt stop all my hormone problems, which are down to a slightly dodgy pituartry gland (which is prob the cause of all my thyroid problems as well)

Most doctors go down the 'but you'll want babies one day' way of thinking though, so how easy is it for a childless woman to get a doctor to agree to performing the op?
moggy

Postby joyinc » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:58 pm

virago wrote:I know many women who have used this..and ended up pregnant :shock:
yeah, there is quite the failure rate for women who dont follow it properly, but it's very successful when done right. i have never had to abstain during any time of the month. i love this method... its natural, so i dont have to pump myself full of aritifcial hormones that mess me up, that i dont need, and i'm not harming animals in the process :D
joyinc

Postby andyO » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:56 am

moggy wrote:
Hiking Fox wrote:Sterilisation costs around £400 and is one of the best things you can ever pay for, unless you are comfortable with the idea of having kids and think you might change your mind later (I won't!)

If its just for contracaeption, I think I'd agree. In my case I got told it wouldnt stop all my hormone problems, which are down to a slightly dodgy pituartry gland (which is prob the cause of all my thyroid problems as well)

Most doctors go down the 'but you'll want babies one day' way of thinking though, so how easy is it for a childless woman to get a doctor to agree to performing the op?

It's not just women who can have an 'op' and I don't think it's that hard for a childless bloke to convince a doctor to perform it...
andyO

Postby ConnyCool » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:35 pm

joyinc wrote:i didnt read through the whole thread, so pardon me if this has been posted, but www.tcoyf.com is all natural, and you dont have to worry about getting a pharmaceutical product that is considered vegan by its ingredients, yet has been tested on animals... that one is a big concern for me, as well as unnatural hormones, so the shot is a no no for me

i agree: fertility awareness is a fine thing. but what to do at fertile days ?
always condoms are boring ... thats why i think about Lea contraceptivum . on their german site the vendor states that it is vegan form of birthcontroll . my native tongue is german... see babelfish.altavista.com for automatic translation

best wishes for a peacefull future

conny

p.s. thanks to fredrikw for his hints.

i am new to this community . sorry for the many posts on contraception. its a very important issue for me and i am very happy i discovered this method but further more i am happy to have found this forum and hope to get many comments on that subject .

p.p.s.
who knows if femidoms are vegan ?

thanks in anticipation

conny
Last edited by ConnyCool on Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ConnyCool

vegan contraception and STD protection by femidom ?

Postby ConnyCool » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:38 pm

entry deleted because you might think i want to spam you, what is not the case.
Last edited by ConnyCool on Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ConnyCool

Postby ConnyCool » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:59 pm

Strix wrote:
Renecarol25 wrote:The shot is vegan..

I didn't know that. That's good to know.

i think it is not, as for those artifical hormones their is animal testing before usage on humans as far as i learned .
ConnyCool

Postby Fruitbat » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:22 pm

it has been a long time since this thread has been visited... before I met my husband, I was adamant that I would never use hormonal methods because of the vegan aspect but even more because of the scientific aspect - hormones are so complex who knows what they are doing to the body and what the unknown and long term side-effects are. It seems a little like Russian roulette to me.

However once in the long-term relationship and now married life I realised that condoms aren't really a very passionate method to use. Since then I have reluctantly gone through almost the entire range of possibilities: first the injection and although the lack of periods was awesome, it is not good for bones or long-term use and I developed unpleasant and never-ending side-effects. I moved on to the implant in the arm and that had terrible side-effects which I endured a year before giving up and having it removed. Then I went on to the pill and that failed me badly.

The pill is a combined contraceptive whereas the others were progesterone only and I didnt suffer as much on combined so I think I have to avoid progesterone only which knocks out the possibility of using the injection, the implant, the mini-pill and the patch. That leaves condoms and correct cycle-tracking as a slightly riskier option but happily vegan and with no side-effects apart from unwanted pregnancy... hm not so good; or an IUD or IUS. The copper coil would be good to try but that is supposed to cause heavy bleeding eek. I have been told by family planning people that the progesterone coil is only a local treatment which means all the side-effects I have had on progesterone-based contraception shouldn't happen. However I am reluctant to try the coil because of the bleeding issue, the risk of infection and of damaging the uterus and because of the idea of having that thing inside me. Don't know anything about diaphragms - how they work etc

I was always adamant I don't want children until I became a step-mum and married. Now maybe one day I will want a child of my own blood but until I do or decide I don't, obviously sterilisation isn't an option for either of us.

Contraception sucks - anyone have any similar experiences?
Fruitbat

Postby mabli » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:13 am

I went to a convent school and we were told that the best form of contraception is the word “no”... Turns out this doesn’t work, so I have tried a few other methods.

Condoms: Good for prevention of STDs but long term relationships I think they are a hassle and quite wasteful.

Diaphragm: My doctor told me this could become a great form of foreplay, well my idea of getting in the mood isn’t running round the house trying to remember where you last had it and then having to be a contortionist positioning it correctly. Anyway, my dog Tati ate mine in the end so I was quite pleased.

Copper Coil: Heavy bleeding and spotting for a year
Injection: Heavy bleeding and spotting for a year

Sterilisation: I chickened out at the last minute, it just felt too permanent

The pill: Im very forgetful so this wasn’t really an option for me

Mireno coil: I love it! It has the same overall effectiveness as sterilisation (1 in 1,000) yet obviously it is reversible. I have had mine for a few years now and have not noticed any problems, my periods are almost none existent and it does not interfere with sex. There can be an increased risk of infection with it, so if you’re promiscuous then its not the contraception for you (obviously a condom is)

With reference to having kids, I have two. Folk who chose to have children in the early 1990s had a load of hassle for their decision from fellow vegans and I can understand part of the argument with reference to resources. For me though, I feel if the only folk who reproduce are meat eating idiots then the planet’s future will be less assured. My daughters are third generation veggie/vegans and they are carrying the message forward into the future. I know we dont have to be related to each other to do this but it is nice to know that a proportion have had the message instilled since conception. They convert friends in the classroom as only kids can and ideas instilled in childhood can be hard to shift. From my experience, a great many folk drop out of veggie/vegan lifestyles after 10 years or so whilst those brought up on it may stray for a while but generally come back.

I think happy vegan kids make the world a better place :D
Last edited by mabli on Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mabli

Postby ska face » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:34 pm

[quote="Mary"] Of course for women the equivalent operation is more serious in terms of side effects and its invasive nature[/quote]

And you can't get it done free on the NHS unless you have already had children and want no more, or there are medical reasons for needing it.

Women like me, who have never had children, and have never wanted any can't get sterilised. You can get it done privately, but you have to pay about £1300 at somewhere like Marie Stopes.

I don't need contraception at the moment as my current partner has had a vasectomy, but if I did need it again, I would save up for the operation.

I don't know if anyone knows, but do Family Planning Clinics now offer free vegan condoms? They never used to when I tried to get them, I had to buy them!

I have used hormonal contraception, but it messed up my system something chronic and I have vowed never again to mess around with my hormones. This includes HRT which in recent discussions with my GP about the menopause, he is trying to push me into!

I am actually looking forward to it, I don't need HRT! The menopause can't be remotely as bad as what I go through every period.
ska face

Postby tellygonebung » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:58 pm

I hadn't heard of these before but there are these vegan approved condoms, flavours(chocolate,strawberry,banana) and dotted as well as plain. £1.99 online in the UK.

Fusion condoms

And lubes!

Yes organic and :D Sliquid H20
tellygonebung

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements