Gas remedies?

Going vegan and new vegans in need of support or information.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Gas remedies?

Postby keekus » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:23 am

I'm a brand spanking new vegan with about six weeks under my belt. I have been having episodes of flatulence off and on since I switched my diet from total omni to vegan overnight. I understand some of this is due to diet change as well as increased fiber, and will decrease over time.

But I have noticed the worst of the gas comes after consuming beans. I am fond of them though and find them satisfying and filling... ergo I have no intention of removing them from my diet. I know about the cold rinsing, hot rinsing, etc, but alas the gas still blows :oops:

My question then is... Has anyone tried "Beano" or any other enzyme product that is meant to help you digest the sugars in the beans and therefore prevent the gas? If so, did you find these products at all helpful? My co-workers would appreciate any help/advice you could offer me :D
keekus

Postby hardcore iv » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:09 am

I think cooking beans with some kombu is supposed to help get rid of the fart inducing compounds. Do you notice any difference with the types of beans you have eaten?

Also, Beano isn't vegan, check out bean-zyme http://www.bean-zyme.com/Bean-zyme%20same%20as%20Beano%20info.htm
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby JS » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:16 am

Wow Omni to vegan overnight - that it some achievement! Well Done.

As for the beans and wind - ha no I just go around in my own little green fug :) admittedly not ideal especially if i offend myself sometimes :)

http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/beans-without-gas.php is a link to lots of info on the topic in question
JS

Postby raquel » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:09 pm

I find that lentils & peas are easier on the stomach... I eat more split peas, black-eyed peas, red lentils, brown lentils, etc., as I find they don't produce as much gas but are just as filling as beans. Also (but maybe it's just me) I find chickpeas easier to digest than other beans, especially if they are sprouted. Hope that helps!
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." -Anaîs Nin
raquel

Return to New Vegan