soy milk is bad for me??

Going vegan and new vegans in need of support or information.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

soy milk is bad for me??

Postby John Galt » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:08 pm

please give me input on this .... i keep hearing soy milk is bad for me.

even organic soy milk?

i use it on my morning oat meal, and sometimes a glass or two after training.

input please
John Galt

Postby Catt Queen » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:43 pm

bad for you in which way? where are you hearing it?
Allie =^..^=
http://www.stronger.me.uk
Find me on Facebook
Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts.
That's what little girls are made of; to hell with sugar and spice.
Catt Queen

Postby fredrikw » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:54 pm

soy milk is not bad for you.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby beforewisdom » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:10 pm

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby John Galt » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:43 am

very useful input - thank you.
John Galt

Re: soy milk is bad for me??

Postby Mia092314 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:00 pm

I think soy is one of the foods that lately people have been giving a hard time. It's an excellent protein source of course, especially for us non-meat eaters but I think the whole GMO and processing of soy and soy products is the real problem. If you are getting a nice high quality brand of soymilk or other soy product (tempeh & tofu) and you're not using dependent on soy for most of your meals, I doubt there would be much of a problem:) Also, there are tons of other non-dairy sources that you could use nowadays (almond milk, coconut milk, hemp milk, rice milk) that taste equally good or better and have other nutrients that could be beneficial to your lifestyle....
Mia092314

Postby powerlifer » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:03 pm

All of the anti-soya propaganda can be easily debunked, i have feelings that alot of it comes from the rivaling meat and dairy industries but conspiracy theory aside most of it is really easy to debunk such as the goitrogen issue(cooking/fermentation inactivates), phyto-estrogen content one of the worst myth offenders that soya will make you gay or grow breasts, phyto-estrogens are very healthy weak mimicking estrogen compounds which lock up the receptor sites so more harmful estrogens arent metabolized.

So yeah soya and soya milk is fine. Im currently enjoying miso soup again at the moment:).
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
http://www.amlaberry.co.uk
powerlifer

Postby morg » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:09 pm

LOVE PUNK ROCK-hate racism
hate homophobia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFOBdoWL ... PL&index=2
morg

Postby Gulliver » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:58 am

From what I understand, soy in extreme quantities can be bad for you. But, so can water. Beer more so. Don't worry about it. Unless you're injecting concentrated soya into your testicles, you're probably fine.

Rice and oat milks are both very nice. Try some nut milks! They're also all easy to make, which cuts down the costs substantially.

Put about a cup of oats, nuts and seeds in a jar, soak it overnight in the fridge, then blend it up, adding water to bring it up to a litre (or whatever) and sieve it through a cheese cloth/jam strainer (leave it for a couple of hours to drip). It keeps for about 3/4 days, when it starts smelling a little yeasty...

Bake the leftover sludge into bread to up its fibre content.
Herbivorous Rex - Higher-protein vegan recipes with bad food photography.
Use the code MP135271 to get 5% off at MyProtein (including rice, pea, hemp and soya protein)!
Gulliver

Postby xJimx » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:43 pm

Gulliver wrote:Unless you're injecting concentrated soya into your testicles, you're probably fine.

Dude if I thought it would add 20kg to my squat I'd try it :lol:
DYEL
xJimx

Postby cdiddy34 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:23 pm

in the US, you have to be VERY careful where you get soy products so you don't get the Monsanto GMO crap. they are working hard overseas as well, but i believe, europe is giving them a very hard time.

my mom told me that soy is bad for me because of estrogen. i told her meat was bad for her because of cancer and i'd rather wear a bra than for my body to break down like that.
cdiddy34

Postby powerlifer » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:38 pm

Its funny its always the estrogen issue that gets brought up you hear myths such as "you'll grow breasts, turn gay etc".

Those who don't understand phyto-estrogens which are weak mimicking estrogenic compounds which lock up the receptors so more harmful estrogen's aren't absorbed. The best bit is that its usually those wolfing down slabs of meat who tell you this, which contains strong animal hormones much stronger than phyto-estrogens. The phyto-estrogens in soya have shown many benefits in studies such as improved bone density, prevention of breast cancer etc.

Most also don't realize but every plant food contains some degree of phyto-estrogen, albeit soya is higher, flax even higher than soya but still.
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
http://www.amlaberry.co.uk
powerlifer

Postby vegan hal » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:14 pm

the guys i see w/ "man boobs" don't seem like the types that are using soy protein. They're usually fast food addicts.
vegan hal

Postby xbojanx » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:41 pm

Most of the GMO soy is used as a cattle food, so meat eaters get the crap anyway. I also believe that all this "soy is bad for you"business is counterattack of the dairy and meat industry.
Something more than ink.... On a page, on a shirt, on the back of my hand.
xbojanx

Postby DaveQB » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:46 pm

cdiddy34 wrote:
my mom told me that soy is bad for me because of estrogen. i told her meat was bad for her because of cancer and i'd rather wear a bra than for my body to break down like that.

I had the exact same conversation with my Mum haha.

Lot's of good information being posted here.
Also here is a good article on where these claims of soy are coming from:
http://www.enerex.ca/en/articles/to-the ... foundation

The angle is fermented Soy is fine, but it is the non-fermented that is not.
I think it is all FUD but to hedge my bets, I go with the fermented type (miso, natto, tempeh) where I have a choice for it. Also switched to a rice based protein powder over the soy based I was using.
"Going to Macdonalds for salad is like going to a crackhouse for vitamins"
DaveQB

Next

Return to New Vegan