Has anyone been to Cape Town?

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Has anyone been to Cape Town?

Postby aspara-gus » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:19 am

I'm going to Cape Town next week and was wondering how hard it will be to find vegan food.
aspara-gus

Postby baldy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:26 am

I was born and raised in Cape Town, it is a lovely place.

All the supermarkets will have decent soya milk, normally in a range of flavours. Pick n Pay and Spar also often have soya bars which are pretty tasty.

The best thing South Africa has to offer is Frys, they make sausages, burgers etc which are all vegan and in most shops freezers. Try out the garlic polony.

Beer wise I would recommend Tafel Lager or Windhoek, both from Namibia and brewed to the German purity laws.

For take aways there is a smoothie bar chain called kauai that have vegan food marked on there menu. Simply asia is also a really good take away, have loads of tofu options.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Rochellita » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:18 pm

For a list of vegan foods in South Africa, like crisps, biscuits, marg etc check out this list.

http://www.vegansociety.co.za/index.php ... &Itemid=81 I just saw it recently and there are some surprises on there.

You can also get Cape of Good Hope's choc soy protein bars, the plain ones are definitely vegan and they have promised to remove the non-vegan D3 from their other bars this year so they are now possibly also vegan. Cape of Good Hope also do ice-cream and soya milk but you'll need to find the larger supermarkets to find the ice-cream's I suspect.

It's super easy to be vegan in South Africa, and I think Cape Town is probably way ahead of the rest of the country. Are you staying in a hotel or self-catering?
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby aspara-gus » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:58 pm

baldy and .flux

Many thanks for your replies. I will definitely try the beers you recommended. We have Frys products here in Mauritius and I agree that they are great, especially the polony.

I am staying in a hotel and will have breakfast there but I am planning to have my other meals outside. My hotel is near the waterfront and there are supposed to be plenty of restaurants there so hopefully I will find something.
aspara-gus

Postby baldy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:51 pm

aspara-gus wrote:My hotel is near the waterfront and there are supposed to be plenty of restaurants there so hopefully I will find something.

There is a falafel place at the waterfront should be vegan, also sushi places.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby KaliBaby » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:40 pm

was in Cape Town three years ago, only a vegetarian then though. from what I remember, it wasn't that hard to find veg-friendly food.
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby Toothache » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:34 am

baldy wrote:
Beer wise I would recommend Tafel Lager or Windhoek, both from Namibia and brewed to the German purity laws.

Tafel is the nicest lager ever - fact!
Toothache

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews