Things....

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Things....

Postby skoptic » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:16 pm

Thought I'd join in the log keeping fun to track my progress over the next 9 months or so.

I've got double ironman next August .. and so I've got a good load of training to get in to deal with the 5 mile swim, 225 mile bike & 52 mile run. I've run ultras done shorter tri's for about 5 years - I did Ironman UK in 2008 and thought it might be fun to go a bit further. I've had a sporadic training year in 2009 - so I need to kickstart myself back into the consistent training cycle. Looking after myself nutritionally is going to be pretty important, so thank you to everyone for all the good info I get off this site.

So the plan is to get the running miles back up and get some ultras in early next year.. try to keep up some kind of winter cycling and start the sportive diary early next year.... and just keep ticking away in the pool every week with my tri club :-)
Last edited by skoptic on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 8 times in total.
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby skoptic » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:43 pm

OK - so this is the start..... not been training for 2 1/2 weeks 'cause I got inked, so getting back in gently.

5 mile run (nice to get all muddy again in the woods)

2 x 12 reps of

bicep pull
lat pulls
pec curls
chest press
bent row
shoulder press

(not really a weights guy so probably naming them all wrong:-))
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Re: skoptic's double iron log

Postby KaliBaby » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:40 pm

skoptic wrote:I've got double ironman next August .. and so I've got a good load of training to get in to deal with the 5 mile swim, 225 mile bike & 52 mile run.

YOU ARE HARDCORE!!!
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:58 pm

excellent. :)
Mr. Cleetus

Postby veganlisa » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:55 am

skoptic wrote:5 mile run (nice to get all muddy again in the woods)

That sounds like fun! If I had the option, I'd just run on dirt trails in the woods or surrounded by mountains.

Your training/goals are very impressive and inspiring! I look forward to following your progress. :)
veganlisa

Postby skoptic » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:14 pm

Thanks guys ... I'll be hardcore once I've finished the it :-) Until then I'm just some bloke who's paid for the privilege to say I've entered!

Managed to get out for a 6 mile fartlek run at lunch ... quite gutted I can't swim today 'cause the ink is still healing.
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby IronGirl » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:18 pm

Is it the Enduroman that you are doing? The husband of a colleague of mine did it last year. Sounds like a really well organised event.

Anyway good on ya for starting a training log, it's going to be gripping reading!
IronGirl

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:35 pm

skoptic wrote:Thanks guys ... I'll be hardcore once I've finished the it :-) Until then I'm just some bloke who's paid for the privilege to say I've entered!

nah, I've think if you make it thru the training you're gonna be pretty tough. That's the most hardcore bit! The race will be easy after that.

What's your training plan? Is it like Ultraman type training where one usually does normal IM training type hours but does more-bigger back to back days on the weekend?
Mr. Cleetus

Postby skoptic » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:53 pm

IronGirl wrote:Is it the Enduroman that you are doing?

Yup ... nice to hear of another survivor :-) .. from what I hear they are really nice and really well organised.

Mr. Cleetus wrote:What's your training plan? Is it like Ultraman type training where one usually does normal IM training type hours but does more-bigger back to back days on the weekend?

Yeah - basically with a full time job, I can't get more than normal IM training in during the week. The weekends will get progressively longer including some big consecutive days. Although because Double IM is not like Ultraman (we do it all in one go, no rest / split into multiple days) I'm going to need some pretty killer brick sessions just to get the body and mind prepared :-)

Tue

Another 6 mile lunch run ... tempo (HR is coming back down after couple of weeks off)

4 x 12
Bent Row
Shoulder Press
Bicep Curl

45 Press ups
30 situps
30 tricep dips
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby skoptic » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:32 pm

Wed - day off

Thurs -

4 miles steady

40 pressups
3 x 12
shoulder press
bicep curl
bent row

still no swimming
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby skoptic » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:02 am

Interesting week

Friday - Work got all in the way
Sat - a quick 3 miles before I flew 10 hours out to LA
Sun - 6 miles up and down Santa Monica beach then lots of weights in a blinging weights room in my hotel.

Weird week with work and flying ...... but my ink is healed and I'm able to swim and sweat hard on a turbo again :-)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby IronGirl » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:49 pm

6 miles up and down Santa Monica beach

Sooooooooooo jealous, I' just off for a run in the rain.
IronGirl

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:28 pm

nice. for how long are you in LA? Are you staying in Santa Monica or is that just where you did your run?
Mr. Cleetus

Postby skoptic » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:33 pm

Hey guys.... was only in LA for a week, staying in gorgeous Santa Monica in quite a posh hotel.. heh! Sadly the week got progressively eaten by work stuff.... but it was nice to see a new city (and find a lot of vegan friendly places)

OK so this might sound a bit jet set (not usually the case) - but I've gone straight from LA to the French Alps for some boarding :-). This is playing havoc with my training.. but what the hell. Running on sand one week and in snow the next is pretty interesting!

Mon - 4 miles of soft sand running (hard!) + lots of weights
Wed - 6 miles up and down beach (no time for swimming in the sea .. boo)

Thurs + Fri - flew back to UK..
Sat + Sun - drove to Alps
Mon - 4 miles in snow ... while snowing ... at 2200m :-)
Thurs - 5 miles in snow

Been knackered from boarding (but that's a good thing!) and nowhere near any gym equipment ... harsh 2 weeks - but I'm driving back tomorrow and will be back into training rhythm from Monday.
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby helmut » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:16 am

skoptic wrote:
Yeah - basically with a full time job, I can't get more than normal IM training in during the week. The weekends will get progressively longer including some big consecutive days. Although because Double IM is not like Ultraman (we do it all in one go, no rest / split into multiple days) I'm going to need some pretty killer brick sessions just to get the body and mind prepared :-)

holy shit! may the force be with you :P
*take me to the mediocrity dungeon*
helmut

Next

Return to Training Logs