My Very First Half Marathon

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

My Very First Half Marathon

Postby tiiiti » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:14 pm

I've commited to running my very first half marathon on May 2010. Exciting! I've never participated in any sort of bigger sporting events. I can barely run for an hour straight now, but I'm confident that I'll get in shape by may. As long as I get rid of this damn flu and can start training..

YAY!

I know this might seem a little silly for some of you who run the 50k or whatever, but it's going to be huge for me :)
Who wants a twig when you can climb the whole tree?
tiiiti

Postby ultra_whippet » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:29 pm

Should be no problem :) You have (sensibly) given yourself plenty of time to build up your mileage gradually - so don't try and rush back into training too quickly after your flu. Good luck!
ultra_whippet

Postby erske » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:43 pm

Thats awesome! :D It's great fun... I'm sure you'll enjoy it!! Good luck!
Something irrelevant about cavemen
erske

Postby runner » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:58 pm

ultra_whippet wrote:Should be no problem :) You have (sensibly) given yourself plenty of time to build up your mileage gradually - so don't try and rush back into training too quickly after your flu. Good luck!

+1

good luck!!
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby tiiiti » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:24 pm

Thanks guys!

ultra_whippet wrote:Should be no problem :) You have (sensibly) given yourself plenty of time to build up your mileage gradually - so don't try and rush back into training too quickly after your flu.

I know, I figured I needed the time :) Plus I'm a big believer in planning everything out.
And I also know, I shouldn't even THINK about training before next week, but it's really hard :D Especially know 'cos I decided what I'm gonna run the half marathon. But yeah, I'm going to be sensible and not ummm.. kill myself :D

But hey, atleast I have time to plan my training while drinking hot fluids, relaxing and eating plenty of fruit.
tiiiti

Postby KaliBaby » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:30 am

I ran my first (and only one so far haha) half marathon last year. definitely felt accomplished after! have you sought out a training schedule yet? initially I used this one: http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm since this covers just a 3 month period, maybe you can repeat it to gain extra speed?

you have plenty of time to get running, good luck! :D
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby tiiiti » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:20 pm

KaliBaby wrote:I ran my first (and only one so far haha) half marathon last year. definitely felt accomplished after! have you sought out a training schedule yet? initially I used this one: http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm since this covers just a 3 month period, maybe you can repeat it to gain extra speed?

you have plenty of time to get running, good luck! :D

Thanks for that one! I've found like 4 training schedules so far, just have to desice what's the one for me :)

Yay, I'm feeling ok again. Maybe I could start training tomorrow. Softly.
tiiiti

Postby wallander » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:22 pm

hi everyone. It my first post on that forum and what a perfect topic to start my writing here - as i have decided to run in the upcoming Broloppet run (from Denmark to Sweden). Have never done such a thing before and to be honest i m not even a huge fan of running, i just have this desire to discover that passion. I have 7 months to train myself, i feel i could run abt 6 km now ....

I will be running with some ppl from my work and i just want to prove to them that being vegan means P O W E R :)

all suggestions are more then welcome :)
wallander

Postby erske » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:19 pm

wallander wrote:hi everyone. It my first post on that forum and what a perfect topic to start my writing here - as i have decided to run in the upcoming Broloppet run (from Denmark to Sweden). Have never done such a thing before and to be honest i m not even a huge fan of running, i just have this desire to discover that passion. I have 7 months to train myself, i feel i could run abt 6 km now ....

I will be running with some ppl from my work and i just want to prove to them that being vegan means P O W E R :)

Welcome to VF! :D I am also running broloppet next summer, looking forward to it..
Something irrelevant about cavemen
erske

Postby runner » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:11 am

wallander wrote:hi everyone. It my first post on that forum and what a perfect topic to start my writing here - as i have decided to run in the upcoming Broloppet run (from Denmark to Sweden). Have never done such a thing before and to be honest i m not even a huge fan of running, i just have this desire to discover that passion. I have 7 months to train myself, i feel i could run abt 6 km now ....

Hi Man,

what's up?

good to see you here!!

Enjoy the miles!!
runner

Postby wallander » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:13 am

runner wrote:
Hi Man,

what's up?

good to see you here!!

Enjoy the miles!!

hi Emile. All is fine. Just came back from the running track. Acomplished my first running training with the running coach ( who is my friend). Feel tired but happy!!!
wallander

Postby runner » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:57 am

It's always good to have a trainer!!

Even if it's just for details as you can't see yourself running.

might be good idea to start a training logg.

this way you record your own trainings and you can receive feedback from fellow runners.

It's really nice to see how this runners section is growing.

think more vegans start running and even better more runners become vegan.

next year is a good year for a new trainingcamp and or racemeetup.
runner

Return to Vegan Runners