Running genre?

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:29 am

I am usually focused on running in tris and I prefer the longer stuff, but in winter I really enjoy the mountain running season and I have that as my primary running aim. These races are usually anywhere from 1 to 4hr kinda things. I think I'd be happiest running on the trails in the hills all of the time, but I like the tris too much!
Mr. Cleetus

Postby IronGirl » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:35 pm

Favourite training run would be 10-12 mile off road run with lots of variety, hills, mud, streams and beautiful scenery.

I do all my interval training on trails or quiet country roads. I've got meaured kms etc (or furlongs on the race course!) in such places so I can do timed reps.

Racing wise it would have to be long and tough mult-terrain races, but the occassional 10k or half marathon as flat as possible to go for a time.
I also love triathlon. The most memorable runs in tris would have to be Wildflower Half Ironman in California which has a beautiful off road half marathon run at the end and Blaenavon triathlon in Wales which used to have a 9ish mile fell run at the end. The ironman runs are a bit of a blur! The sort of blurredness that makes you think you want to do it again!

Would love to do more fell running but I live in the wrong place.
IronGirl

Postby andyO » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:54 pm

IronGirl wrote:

I'm sure there are some fell races in Staffs. ;)
andyO

Postby IronGirl » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:51 pm

andyO wrote:
IronGirl wrote:

I'm sure there are some fell races in Staffs. ;)

Yeah I think my closest ones would be in Shropshire around Titterstone Clee. One day I'll make the effort to travel to a few.
The Yorkshire Three Peaks is on my wish list of races to do, but there are other things on the agenda at the moment.
IronGirl

Postby The Duke » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:32 pm

When I was at school it was X-country. Loved it.

Later on I started jogging again and then running properly when I lived in Cornwall. I loved running on the hills and tracks.

That was when I was in my early twenties.

Then over the next 15 years I would run a few halfs each year doing a 1:28 best in the Ramathon.

In my late thirties early forties I did one or two 10ks a year ont really toubling sub 55 to be honest.

Since then I periodically go out for 2 and three milers and print off complicated schedules for future events involving improbable weight loss and 7 minute pace dreams.

Weighing in now at well over 95kg I ain't planning no ultra in the near future. :D

Also I am carrying a shit load of injuries to hips, knees, ankles etc etc etcetera.

But I do still run and enjoy it.

I use 50m and 100m sprints to put a bit of life in my legs for the strength training.

Currently I working towards breaking that tricky sub 4 minute hundred metre mark.

Wish me luck.
The Duke

Postby KaliBaby » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:25 am

good luck Duke!!! 8)
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Re: Running genre?

Postby james79 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:58 pm

I'll have a go at any type of distance running - XC, fell, trail, track or road.

XC is probably my favourite but I'm probably better at 10mile / half marathon type distance.
Don't let your outrage for injustice end where your selfishness begins
james79

Previous

Return to Vegan Runners