Long distance is where it's at - fact!

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby Starling in a cage » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:30 am

downhillingdemon' wrote:As you can see, I came first, and last as I was the only girl

Daughter jumped out of her skin when I laughed out loud at this.


PS: Love the video of the Long Mynd at the weekend. Shropshire Hills Rule OK.
Life is a journey, not a destination ...
Always take the scenic route.
User avatar
Starling in a cage
Active Member
 
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:09 am

Postby TMH » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:52 am

DHD, wicked video... although I got a little whoozie from peering so intently at it... am hoping to get a helmet cam for Christmas! :wink:

downhillingdemon wrote:...Oooh, and here's a quick bit of video that one of the guys got on Saturday.....as you will see, it was pure XC fun on some swoopy natural trails. He even managed to sneakily get me on video (I'm the one in the red and white shirt about 1:13 minutes in)
TMH
Active Member
 
Posts: 415
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:08 pm
Location: New Zealand

Postby downhillingdemon » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:01 pm

OMG MY LEGS ARE SO FRIKKIN SORE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Managed a short ride yesterday afternoon to try and loosen my legs up from the morning run. It didn't work, everything hurts today, even my upper back!

Today - 10 mile SS ride. It hurt.





@Starling in a Cage - they rule indeed! I'd only been to the Mynd once before, I'd forgotton just how beautiful it is, even in darkest November!

@TMH - Must be good riding in New Zealand - hope you get your helmet cam for Crimbo so you can show us all! I don't know why this guy always mounts his camera on the bars though. :?

We've been looking at these - you can pick 'em up for £200 in some places and the footage seems pretty excellent.
"You can't hide from your shadow"
User avatar
downhillingdemon
Active Member
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:45 am

Postby TMH » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:50 pm

Lol!!!! Don't forget to stretch, etc, at the end of each stint. Riding in NZ is WICKED, there are lots of sweet rides everywhere. Although, in the current local area (Palmerston North) it's rather limited and boring (unless you're a roadie - gasp)! Will definitely check out that helmet cam...

downhillingdemon wrote:OMG MY LEGS ARE SO FRIKKIN SORE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Managed a short ride yesterday afternoon to try and loosen my legs up from the morning run. It didn't work, everything hurts today, even my upper back!

Today - 10 mile SS ride. It hurt.

@TMH - Must be good riding in New Zealand - hope you get your helmet cam for Crimbo so you can show us all! I don't know why this guy always mounts his camera on the bars though. :?

We've been looking at these - you can pick 'em up for £200 in some places and the footage seems pretty excellent.
TMH
Active Member
 
Posts: 415
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:08 pm
Location: New Zealand

Postby downhillingdemon » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:55 am

*tries stretching on good advice of TMH*

*hurts*

*gives up any hope of squatting today*

Mornings weights session:

Shoulder pressing (strict)
Press-ups

Well, that was an extensive session.
"You can't hide from your shadow"
User avatar
downhillingdemon
Active Member
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:45 am

Postby IronGirl » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:04 am

OMG MY LEGS ARE SO FRIKKIN SORE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!


Have you tried compression tights. I thaught for ages that they were just a load of marketing hype, but since getting a pair of 2XUs a couple of months ago I've never looked back. They were a bit pricey but definately help.
Also get the nutrition in straight after a session (some sort of recovery drink) and get the repair process going straight away. There are lots of recipes around on this site.
User avatar
IronGirl
Active Member
 
Posts: 654
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:59 pm
Location: Herefordshire

Postby downhillingdemon » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:54 pm

IronGirl wrote:Have you tried compression tights. I thaught for ages that they were just a load of marketing hype, but since getting a pair of 2XUs a couple of months ago I've never looked back. They were a bit pricey but definately help.


Do they work for cycling or just running?

IronGirl wrote:Also get the nutrition in straight after a session (some sort of recovery drink) and get the repair process going straight away. There are lots of recipes around on this site.


Yeah, I know all about the post-workout nutrition thing....I just fail miserably in carrying it out atm. I'll occasionally down some chocolate soya milk or summut, but I got a bit disillusioned with the whole 'training' marlarky a long time back. It just started to feel like far too much hassle - like I was trying to prove a vegan point, rather than just having fun living my life. However, now I'm planning on increasing my training volume I should prolly sort it out.

Today - 3 hours or so XC route finding on the Malverns (about 9 mile with 1400 meters of climbing - oh yeah, and the three hours included a pub/coffee stop). Was feeling a bit urgh (achy and coldy) this morning, but the ride turned out great. The trails were sketchy as hell in places - great fun on the HT. Didn't want to overdo it too much as we're off downhilling with the vegan dissident lot tomorrow 8)

Post workout recovery foodstuff = another epic fail - pot noodle (supermarket own brand, before anyone lynches me for eating unilever stuff)...next week I'll get some hemp protein sorted, that'll fix it.
Last edited by downhillingdemon on Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You can't hide from your shadow"
User avatar
downhillingdemon
Active Member
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:45 am

Postby IronGirl » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:18 pm

Do they work for cycling or just running?

They work for both cycling and running. I actually got mine at Climb On Bikes in Hereford. Got some good recommendations from their cyclists.
I usually wear mine after a long or hard workout. Can wear them under other things if you want to go out!
User avatar
IronGirl
Active Member
 
Posts: 654
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:59 pm
Location: Herefordshire

Postby downhillingdemon » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:49 pm

IronGirl wrote:
Do they work for cycling or just running?

They work for both cycling and running. I actually got mine at Climb On Bikes in Hereford. Got some good recommendations from their cyclists.
I usually wear mine after a long or hard workout. Can wear them under other things if you want to go out!


I'll definitely look into those then, I work over in Hereford so will pop into Climb on Bikes next time I'm there :)
"You can't hide from your shadow"
User avatar
downhillingdemon
Active Member
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:45 am

Postby fredrikw » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:36 pm

I use Skins Travel&Recovery after hard training sessions. Even though the scientifically proven effects seems rather weak, it feels really good to put them on and that's enough reason for me.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
User avatar
fredrikw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10738
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:46 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Postby downhillingdemon » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:59 pm

Sunday - was a complete write off as someone decided to vandalise my van - so no DH for me :(

Today - felt a bit crap when I woke up but thought it might just be stressed so went for a run (somewhere around 3.2 miles in 28 minutes - which seems a bit quick considering I haven't run for months, so I'm wondering if the mappy thing I used to calculate the distance is wrong). Prolly shouldn't have cos I've been feeling shite all day since. Looks like I have finally succummed to the manflu that's been making it's way round here.

I am mostly NOT impressed not one feckin bit :x

fredrikw wrote:I use Skins Travel&Recovery after hard training sessions. Even though the scientifically proven effects seems rather weak, it feels really good to put them on and that's enough reason for me.


You're not the first person to mention these recently, I'm gonna look into those as well. I'm also thinking about getting a HRM with GPS......but it's been so long since I had a HRM I'm gonna have to look into it a bit first. Plus I need a new DH bike so really shouldn't be spending ANY money or I am never gonna be able to afford one....

...too many gadgets, not enough cash!
"You can't hide from your shadow"
User avatar
downhillingdemon
Active Member
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:45 am

Postby fredrikw » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:16 pm

downhillingdemon wrote:I'm also thinking about getting a HRM with GPS......but it's been so long since I had a HRM I'm gonna have to look into it a bit first.

This has been covered in a number of threads recently. I'm very happy with my FR405 and Edge705, and used together with SportTracks and you have everything you need from a GPS-equipped HRM.

Here's a recent thread about this
http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19152
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
User avatar
fredrikw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10738
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:46 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Postby downhillingdemon » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:38 pm

fredrikw wrote:
downhillingdemon wrote:I'm also thinking about getting a HRM with GPS......but it's been so long since I had a HRM I'm gonna have to look into it a bit first.

This has been covered in a number of threads recently. I'm very happy with my FR405 and Edge705, and used together with SportTracks and you have everything you need from a GPS-equipped HRM.

Here's a recent thread about this
http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19152


Cheers, I'll have a read of that. Interesting you are happy with your 405 - it was the first one I looked at, but it has had such mixed reviews, even with one guy saying he gave up and returned to his 305!
"You can't hide from your shadow"
User avatar
downhillingdemon
Active Member
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:45 am

Postby fredrikw » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:46 pm

downhillingdemon wrote:Cheers, I'll have a read of that. Interesting you are happy with your 405 - it was the first one I looked at, but it has had such mixed reviews, even with one guy saying he gave up and returned to his 305!

I like the fact that it's quite small and not like a calculator sitting on your wrist. The thing that bothers most people is that they don't like the fact that the bezel is more or less useless when wet. This is indeed a design flaw, but I have never felt the need to fiddle around in menus when out training with it. I also must add that I use the watch on races or when I do high intensity training, then I have neither time or any need to switch between different settings, displays or anything like that. When I'm out on unknown trails and need to navigate or look at a map I use my Edge, I don't fiddle around too much with that either, but the option is there at least :)

As with all gear you'll find both those who swear by and at it, the hardest thing is to find out what you really need for yourself, and understand who you'll most likely to be similar to.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
User avatar
fredrikw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10738
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:46 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Postby downhillingdemon » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:15 am

No time, no time.........loads and loads of work, and no time.

Wednesday - managed to get out for an hour early evening after site finished earlier than expected. Had to cut it short though, visibility was less than 10 meters and my lights were suffering white-out on all but the low setting on the bar light, which made descending a little treacherous. :shock:
"You can't hide from your shadow"
User avatar
downhillingdemon
Active Member
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:45 am

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron