Doing both judo and kung fu?

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Doing both judo and kung fu?

Postby Freccia » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:04 pm

What are your opinions on studying both judo and kung fu?

I know very little about either, but they seem very different styles which could potentially complement each other nicely in terms of body workout.

Or am I committing some kind of martial arts heresy? :shock:

TIA :)
Freccia

Postby damdaman » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:07 pm

In my opinion you'd be doing yourself more good by submerging yourself in one for a period of time and getting proficient at that one and then switching to the other for awhile, especially since you're not experienced with either.

It can be difficult to cross-train in my opinion, especially as a newbie, as it takes a lot of work, time and energy to learn one proficiently. Especially if you're doing two styles with very different movements, you could be confusing your body and setting yourself back.

On the other hand, many MMA athletes these days grow up in MA learning multiple styles, although there are still many who start off really good at one before integrating the whole package (such as wrestlers turned MMA athletes).
damdaman

Postby P Bo » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:21 am

They're both very different, and I believe Judo grade you asking you questions about the translations and japanese names.

Maybe the same with Kung Fu and could get confusing.

Give it a go, what's the worst that can happen?
P Bo

Postby baldy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:49 pm

Hey, you dont really mention what your goals are. In terms of an all over workout they are both good (anything that gets you moving for hour or more is good), judo will probably get you stronger though I would guess.

Judo is also more of a sport, so if you like competing and that motivates you it might be a good pull. Just start both and it will become clear which one you prefer or if you can do both. No martial arts heresy that I know of.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby veganjkd » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:03 am

go for it! Judo is great,hugely underrated as well,sick throws,chokes,submissions. The kung fu,depends what style it is but if you can train each one,a couple of times a week its is way better than not learning any fighting/self defence/martial art. I will hazard a guess you will prefer one to the other and stick with that,if you get some decent judo under your belt,and can train some striking you are headed the right way.
"Resistance to the organised mass can be effected only by the man who is as well organised as the mass itself"

C.G.Jung
veganjkd

Postby maxxx » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:51 pm

I think Judo would be good for it's takedowns, control and submissions. But I would ditch JKD for Muay Thai. JKD and Muay Thai both cover the 'striking phase', but Muay Thai also includes a lot stuff in the 'clinch phase'.
maxxx

Postby veganjkd » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:04 am

I think they said there wanting to do judo and kung fu not jkd!
"Resistance to the organised mass can be effected only by the man who is as well organised as the mass itself"

C.G.Jung
veganjkd

Re: Doing both judo and kung fu?

Postby shellie » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:16 am

I do traditional jujitsu and muay Thai and find they are a great combination. Would love to be able to devote more time to muay Thai it has taken a bit of a back seat. So I would say go for it, try different things and do what you enjoy.
shellie

Return to Martial Arts