Two weeks to the Dublin City Marathon Oct 26th

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby emm7 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:27 am

well done for the race on the 15th!
Hope your knee is better now!
"she was my better half and I was just a dog"
"I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink"
"No, the moon ain't romantic, it's intimidating as hell
And some guy's trying to sell me a watch"
-- Tom Waits Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
emm7

Postby Travelgal08 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:30 pm

Thanks Emm.
Bit of a twinge on the long run today so going to see a physio this week just to be on the safe side.
Travelgal08

Postby gms » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:38 am

Looks like your training is going well. congrats on the 10k
gms

Postby Travelgal08 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:56 am

Thanks gms.
Travelgal08

Postby Travelgal08 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:46 pm

Monday 31st August
Rest

Tues 1st Sept
5M easy pace on the grass. Really muddy, ruined my fairly new white trainers. Ah well had to happen sometime. Zero pain so cancelled physio.

Wednesday 2nd Sept
8M. Felt like I was going really fast, felt great but my time wasn't that great.
Strength training.

Thursdsay 3rd Sept
Supposed to do 5M. Have had sinus pain all week, feel like I'm a zombie, head full of cotton wool etc so skipped it.

Friday 4th Sept
Rest

Saturday 5th Sept

18M. Again a first ever distance. And ran it 6 mins faster than last week's 17M which was weird as I was going at a very comfortable pace. But I did have to stop a good few times last week to stretch out my right leg so that probably added to the time. Felt great, really enjoyed it.
Full of energy so did 30 mins strength training plus lots of stretching afterwards.

Sunday 6th Sept
8M scheduled - done. Felt great, thought I would be tired after yesterday but plenty of energy.
Upper body strength training plus stretching afterwards.

39M this week.
Travelgal08

Postby Travelgal08 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:20 am

Ok haven't posted here for a couple of weeks but training is going fairly well. I have missed a couple of short runs due to feeling crap with my sinuses and I had a 20mile run I had to cut short at 15M due to some pain in my right leg again. I went to a new physio last week and she found some knots in my right glute so had some dry needling and shockwave stuff done and that seemed to help. Will need another few visits though.

I've noticed my speed has improved a bit, I ran a 45.16 5miler in training last week is new for me, it's usually around the 48/49 minute mark so the training is definitely showing some progress.

I had a half marathon race yesterday in Dublin. 8,000 runners, biggest turn out to date which was brilliant. Really warm day and a strange course, it was in the Phoenix Park and some of the paths were really narrow so it meant running right around people at times. I was in the last wave by choice but it did mean passing out a lot of people. Saying that, it's quite a good psychological boost rather than being passed out all the time which tends to happen!

I could really feel the improvement in my performance compared to my half in Berlin in April.
Time: 2.04.20 which is a huge improvement on Berlin - 12 minutes!!! Almost a minute a mile improvement.
I have a garmin now which is fantastic as I could monitor my mile splits which gave me the push to keep going also. I had to stop at 70 mins due to pain in my right leg, did a few stretches and it seemd to help. I had no pain again until 100 mins and then walked a little bit twice. It does make me a bit anxious for the marathon, but hopefully a few more sessions with the physio will sort it out.
9.53 (water stop)
9.40 (huge hill!!)
9.57 (hill, water and tired)
Travelgal08

Postby Travelgal08 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:14 am

Sunday 27th Sept
7M run plus upper body work and glute stretches.

Monday 28th Sept
Rest

Tues 29th Sept
5M. Serious sinus pain today. But glad to get out despite feeling like crap.

Wed 30th Sept
8M scheduled. Had physio session II. More dry needling. Ouch but she was happier with today's session. More shockwave stuff and massage and other gadgets. In agony afterwards and no running recommended today so took the day off. In fact, went to sleep for approx 14 hours!!
127M this month.

Thurs 1st Oct
5M scheduled but felt so great at 5 decided to do another 3. Could have kept going.
8M plus glute stretching.

Fri 2nd Oct

Rest day

Sat 3rd Oct
20M scheduled. Bit nervous as I had to cut the previous 20M short at 15 due to pain. Felt great at 10, at 14 I wanted to just stop running and walk but that feeling only lasted a mile. Got to 18 with no problems but then my leg started to seize up. Did some stretching but it didn't help so cut run short at 19M. Still, not bad, the physio seems to be helping. I've another session this wednesday. I did 'have some problems walking around the house for the first two hours when I got home but a warm bath and some stretches seemed to help.

Sunday 4th Oct
5M scheduled.
Travelgal08

Postby Travelgal08 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:21 am

Oh I've seriously revised my goal time for the marathon...if all goes well I hope to come in at 4.40 but if my leg plays up it could take longer. The aim is just to finish this year. Only 3 weeks to go :D
Travelgal08

Postby emm7 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:55 pm

Well done for the Half Marathon!
Very sorry about your leg playing up, hope that it will get better asap. Hope that your physio is good, sounds like it.
"she was my better half and I was just a dog"
"I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink"
"No, the moon ain't romantic, it's intimidating as hell
And some guy's trying to sell me a watch"
-- Tom Waits Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
emm7

Postby Travelgal08 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:50 pm

Thanks Emm7.
Yeah my physio is great and she thinks I should be fine for the marathon. I just have a few knots in one of my glutes.

5M run this evening and felt great. The pain only seems to come on after about 2+ hours of running or else during a race. The taper should help too.
Travelgal08

Postby Travelgal08 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:20 pm

Mon 5th Oct
Rest

Tues 6th Oct
5M run in the rain
Glute stretches
Upper body work

Wednesdsay 7th Oct
6M

Thursday 8th Oct
Had to go to Dublin so no running today

Friday 8th Oct
6M, 9.32/mi

Saturday 9th Oct
4M scheduled but didn't get around to it. Lots of progress on the thesis so stayed at my desk.

Sunday 10th Oct
12M. Ugh, was going ok until about 8 or 9 miles and then I got the usual pain in my hip/glute area. Going to go for a sports massage tomorrow or Tues and see if that helps. My physio is away this week so we've one more session scheduled for Tuesday week and that'll be it before the big day. A bit nervous as to how my leg will hold out as the problem doesn't really seem resolved as yet. Maybe the taper will help.

Marathon is 2 weeks tomorrow :shock:
Travelgal08

Postby JuicyJ » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:52 pm

It looks like your training is going awesome
I am sure your will to finish and thrive will override any aches and pains come marathon day .The adrenaline rush and thrill of any competition adds mega energy reserves.
Glad you are taking good care of the body!!!
I really look forward to hearing about it .

much peace
JuicyJ

Postby veganlisa » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Saw the title of your training log and just wanted to wish you good luck with the marathon. I just started running again after several years off and having a baby. I'm hoping complete a marathon around this time next year. It's inspiring to read about your training. Happy running!
veganlisa

Postby Travelgal08 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:12 pm

Thanks JuicyJ and Veganlisa for your kind words. I'm nervous and excited about it and have moments when I think, what on earth have I signed up for but I know the day will be amazing.
Travelgal08

Postby Konstantin » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:06 pm

You're going great - remember to stretch, taper and eat like a horse!
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs