Good sitcoms and comedy shows?

Music, movies, literature, art, poems...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby JS » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:07 pm

My list would include in no particular order:

Green Wing
Phoenix Nights
Max and Paddy
Shooting Stars
Sex and the City (guess this might be a girl thing!)
Chewin the fat
Still Game
Spaced

Er....... all I can think of for now!
JS

Postby xzebrasx » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:10 pm

JS wrote:Sex and the City (guess this might be a girl thing!)

I don't trust your taste anymore :D
xzebrasx

Postby puppydog » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:56 pm

i'm having a good laugh watching "curb your enthusiasm" lately.... something about that guy i can identify with.

30 Rock i found pretty funny.

and then some of the VH1 reality shows and shows have comedic value... The Soup is pretty funny. Tool ACademy is funny, if you see the humor in idiots who psychologically abuse their partners.
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Postby Johnboy74 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:08 pm

xzebrasx wrote:
Johnboy74 wrote:Oh and Mr Bean! you having a laugh? :wink:

You don't find it funny?

It's moronic comedy! It's like Modern Day Laurel & Hardy, it's just not intelligent in any way! My mum watches it! As much as I love her, she's deaf mute and not been blessed with intelligence hence she loves the bloody show!
****** Vegan Atheist ******
Most atheists see themselves as realists - their atheism is a part of their willingness to square up to the world as it is and face it without recourse to superstition or comforting fictions about a life to come or a benevolent power looking after us.
Johnboy74

Postby Johnboy74 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:11 pm

JS wrote:Green Wing....Spaced

Two upstanding comedies!

Sarah Silverman can be funny sometimes, but saw her live show on tv the other day and she is as funny as a cut on the end of your finger with the skin flapping about!
****** Vegan Atheist ******
Most atheists see themselves as realists - their atheism is a part of their willingness to square up to the world as it is and face it without recourse to superstition or comforting fictions about a life to come or a benevolent power looking after us.
Johnboy74

Postby seasiren » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:19 pm

Wow, my taste is so different from everyone elses. I don't care for the one's listed, but love these:
ilovecake wrote:Not all comedies (though, most of 'em are), but I like these shows:

- Dead Like Me (NOT the movie, though)
- Dexter
- House

I also like old episodes of Bernie Mac and Everybody Loves Raymond
seasiren

Postby xzebrasx » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:37 pm

Johnboy74 wrote:It's moronic comedy! It's like Modern Day Laurel & Hardy, it's just not intelligent in any way! My mum watches it! As much as I love her, she's deaf mute and not been blessed with intelligence hence she loves the bloody show!

Yes, but it's still funny :D I try not to be a snob, so I don't demand intelligence and uniqueness in absolutely everything. And I really don't understand what does your mum has to do with the show being good or bad. My dad loves it and he's one of the smartest people I know. So what?
xzebrasx

Postby gauze » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:42 pm

what has xzebrasx done to you people for you to recommend stuff like green wing?
:shock:
"I've been doing a lot of running, swimming, cycling, well, I mean, you know how it is..."

-"NO. Actually I don't know, I play real sports, I'm not trying to be the best at exercising."
gauze

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:24 pm

Big Good Wolf wrote:League of Gentlemen. Series 1 & 2 only

I don't need to watch that. I just stand in the Post Office queue; they're all in there. Plus 'Mullet Woman' and the bloke whose trousers are tied up with string.

(League of Gentlemen was set where I live. The community website says 'Support your LOCAL shops' in big letters across it.)
Hiking Fox

Postby xzebrasx » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:56 pm

Saw a couple of American Dad! episodes and I have to say I think it's pretty crap. A few OK jokes here and there, but the rest just feels like watered-down Family Guy with dull characters.

Moving on to something else.
xzebrasx

Postby offense74 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:05 pm

I like "How I met your mother" and "Californication". The latter is not really a sitcom though.

"The surest way to happiness is low expectations."
offense74

Postby ironman d » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:06 am

My recommendation: The Thick Of It
ironman d

Postby Jonathan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:54 am

We've just finished watching the first season of 30 Rock and it's superb! I would hugely recommend it.

Other comedies I love include:

* Simpsons (new stuff is best avoided)
* The Green Wing - really wish it had run for more than two seasons.
* That 70s Show - the last season isn't much good.
* My Name is Earl - ended too soon.
* Outnumbered - a quirky BBC program. Not strictly speaking a comedy, but massively original (the show is partially improvised, which means that the kids especially have some truly golden scenes). Really funny!
* Father Ted - Dermot Morgan died too young :(
* Blackadder - avoid the first series. Best season is season 3 though best episode is the last one in season 4. Avoid the specials.

That's about it off the top of my head!

Jonathan
Kathryn wrote:You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby erske » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:34 am

How have I missed this thread..

* Green wing (Best show ever, no caparison)
* Black books
* Spaced
* Flight of the concord
* Black adder
* The office (US, by some reason I can't bare Ricky Gervais in the UK one)
* The It crowd
* The big bang theory
* How I met your mother
* South park
* The venture bros (new favorite, kind of old school cartoon, but everyone is such failures)
* Family guy (at times)
Something irrelevant about cavemen
erske

Postby JuicyJ » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:13 am

xsurfgonewildx wrote:O god i fogot!!!!

The other day i was watching a tv show my roomate watches and i am also kinda into even though i used to think that it was lame: Sons of anarchy (
a show about motorcycle gangs( me and myroomate ride) not in gangs though. yet.).
On this show last week and i quote " i dont want him to be some vegan pussy" she said this because a doctor told her they need to put her baby on some type of formula. the doctor replied with a smart remark about having a wife beater (a white tank top under shirt) bib on. lol
i thought it was slightly funny for a second then realize that was a stereo
type and a sexist thing to say and then became angered with the show.

Did anyone see it?

I know I am really late on this .I have heard about this show and have been meaning to watch it but have not at this point however , being a biker .... and having been to more than several biker rallies I thought I would respond.This is typical biker talk so it fits . It's kind of funny.
I always turn off my female /feminist brain at biker rallies or I would be angry all the time . The fact that white undershirts are called "wife beaters" says it all !!!!! if I could count the time I hear guys yell "show us your tits" randomly at girls at these events, I would be very wealthy :)

Trailer Park Boys
is such a funny show. I didn't know too many people had seen it.
If you get a chance - check it out .
JuicyJ

PreviousNext

Return to Culture