Good London places to eat

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Postby alit » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:11 pm

I must try Tibits sounds good there.

My fave combo if in London is buffet lunch at Peking Palace then Inspiral later for a slice of tirimisu or triple choc mousse cake :D My friend was put off once by the 'cult' tv on and by some chap who kept talking away and telling us all about supreme ways of life (luckily at the end of our meal!)

I did venture to Pogo once - great place/ethics/food - it seemed ok in the day - but Ive heard it can have Its moments (but then I tend to think everywhere can!)
alit

Postby Dawn » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:39 pm

I definitely vote for Inspiral too. I love the atmosphere and their raw chocolate cake is really delicious. All the others mentioned are really worth visiting. Also Saf near Old Street, which is a bit pricey but great for a treat-meal and their nut 'cheese' platter is amazing. I haven't tried Tibits yet, so will be checking that one out.
I'm a regular at Pogo's and think their whole ethos is fab. But they do have their moments, it's true, a bit experimental on the specials menu I think. Also, remind them if they mislay your order! If you're over in Hackney then their cakes and burgers are usually good and it's a laid-back sort of experience.
London is a great place for veggies.

Dawn
Dawn

Postby emm7 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:11 pm

Veggie/Vegan Establishments:

Best place of all is the World Food Cafe in Neal's Yard near Covent Garden Tube, it is Cash Only and has no customer toilets though just to warn you! The food there is fantastic.
http://www.timeout.com/london/restauran ... 10821.html

The Food for Thought veggie/vegan restaurant is just round the corner on Neal Street, in my opinion it is average, not as good as World Food Cafe, but good for takeaway flapjacks and cakes.

Planet Organic on Tottenham Court Road sells veggie and vegan lunches cakes and drinks.

Alara health food shop does predominantly vegan (but some veggie) hot and cold food , cakes and drinks, suitable for lunch, you can eat at tables outside or take-away ( 58-60 Marchmont Street, Bloomsbury)

Non-Veggie Establishments that are useful:
Wagamamas restaurant chain has vegan options and there are a lot of branches dotted round London, also the EAT sandwich shop chain does vegan options.

Sadly the Cafe at Foyles in Tottenham Court Road has stopped selling vegan cakes :-( but it used to be great.
"she was my better half and I was just a dog"
"I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink"
"No, the moon ain't romantic, it's intimidating as hell
And some guy's trying to sell me a watch"
-- Tom Waits Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
emm7

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:30 pm

[quote="emm7"]
[i]Best place of all is the World Food Cafe in Neal's Yard near Covent Garden Tube,

:shock: If you have a generous budget! :shock:
Hiking Fox

Postby emm7 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:02 pm

true it's not cheap but it is lovely food.
For budget eats a good place to go is Chinatown (Soho), the New World restaurant has loads of vegan options.

http://www.restaurant-guide.com/new-world.htm
emm7

Postby alessioisonfire » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:29 am

i've also been to the worlds food cafe once and the food was so filling!
not sure why.. although it was really good

beatroot was really good too, the staff were so friendly!! they even gave me food for free to take home because they were going to close in a bit..

of course, vita organic also gets a thumb up. if you like healthier options, that's where you have many and not that overpriced, one scoop of food was £1 plus a standard fee of i don't remember how much..

i tried out the pogo cafe for brunch on a sunday and it was ok, nice thing is that they had a swedish glace shake! inspiral lounge in camden has nice food, raw ice creams although it's a bit pricey

though i would stay away from the buffets in soho. not really my kind of thing :P

still want to try out the 222, time to do it next time i'm in london :)
alessioisonfire

Postby ska face » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:45 am

The Joi buffet was very nice - just off Tottenham Court Road in Percy Street.

Not sure about the MSG thing there - I have cast iron guts anyway and nothing much seems to upset them!
ska face

Postby Toothache » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:20 pm

[quote="Rubber_Ritchie"] it's in Hackney so go with friends, preferably big friends with guns.

:lol: :lol:

I've never been to Pogo but aim to rectify this sooner rather than later!

Eat & 2 Veg in Marylebone is worth a look in. Not been there for a while but it was lovely when I did.
Toothache

Postby emm7 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:36 pm

I've been to Eat and 2 Veg in Marylebone and definitely recommend it, it was great.
emm7

Postby Antonf26 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:16 pm

I loved tibits.

I also loved rootmaster - a bit out of the way but worth it - completely vegan, pretty healthy food and in a converted routemaster bus.

http://www.root-master.co.uk/
Antonf26

Postby Toothache » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:26 pm

That Root Master looks awesome! I just popped onto their site and like what I saw - especially that "Tofu Tower"!

another one to add to the list come payday! :D
Toothache

Postby chloe » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:16 pm

i really want to check out this routemaster aswell, ive looked for it about three times and seriously cant find it anywhere,have wandered all round brick lane on many occassion, i dont know where theyre hiding it!
chloe

Postby alit » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:55 pm

Im the same I wandered all round Liverpool street station and somehow ended up in Bethnal Green and gave up :roll:

Id love to try Routemaster but cant find it :(

Im in London October half term might have to try again!
alit

Postby P Bo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:28 am

To find Routemaster, go down brick lane, turn left onto truman brewery, you'll see 1001 on your left and a BBQ and benches, keep walking. You should see it there.
P Bo

Postby Antonf26 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:50 pm

yeh it's in the back of the big building thing, took me quite a while to find it as well. The food is delicious though so well worth the search.
Antonf26

PreviousNext

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews