Cycling holiday Brittany, France

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux

Cycling holiday Brittany, France

Postby Dawn » Fri May 01, 2009 11:00 am

Hi there,

Has anyone got any tips or suggestions on vegan-friendly food or places to eat in Brittany? My partner and I are hoping to do a cycling tour for two weeks in August. A bit of the coast, a bit of the inland area I think.

I'm quite used to being in the bike saddle - cycle nearly every day. And I have done a couple of long-distance campaigning bike rides over several weeks but all my stuff was in a van on those long rides and I have never actually had a holiday on a bike. So any tips on that would be welcome. I already know to be prepared for sore bits! Also, we are hoping to camp. So any recommended campsites in Brittany?
We also want to do some kayaking so if anyone has done that too in Brittany?

Finally (you can tell I am in the early planning stages of this, can't you!) I have no idea about how full French campsites get in August - I imagine they must a bit. Does anyone know if you can just turn up with a small backpacking tent at any time? Or do you have to reserve well in advance?

If anyone has done a similar trip or has any ideas do let me know. Thanks!

Dawn
Dawn

Re: Cycling holiday Brittany, France

Postby ultra_whippet » Fri May 01, 2009 1:09 pm

[quote="Dawn"]
Finally (you can tell I am in the early planning stages of this, can't you!) I have no idea about how full French campsites get in August - I imagine they must a bit. Does anyone know if you can just turn up with a small backpacking tent at any time? Or do you have to reserve well in advance?

I've managed to get away with it myself, although they are pretty damn full in early August. By the end of the month it's a lot quieter.
ultra_whippet

Re: Cycling holiday Brittany

Postby Dawn » Thu May 07, 2009 4:13 pm

Thanks! Unfortunately I can only really do the middle of August so we'll have to brave it with all the other campers. Saying that I think we will avoid the big campsites and try and do a bit of inland Britanny which might be calmer.

On the food issue, I'm sure we will be more than okay on fresh fruit and veg supplemented by bicycle pannier-imported vegan pate! Sadly there are no veggie/vegan restaurants listed for Britanny on Happycow.net although I may try and persuade my partner to detour to one of the guesthouse listed: L'Arc en Ciel or the Ferme de Peneoch just for a decent bit of cooked grub that doesn't involve a camping stove - anyone been there?

Dawn
Dawn

Camping and cycling holiday in Brittany, France

Postby Dawn » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:20 pm

It's a bit weird replying again to my own message but this is just in case anyone ever needs this information as now I have the answers!

Basically, on the edible issue, you can easily survive in Brittany, France being a vegan if you are near supermarkets. And if you are in touristy or town areas then there is always one nearby! Although we never ate out as we didn't find any restaurants or eateries selling anything vegan, if you do self-catering then all the supermarkets (even smaller ones) have a 'special diet/wholefoods' section with various kinds of stuff suitable for vegans - nut burgers, soya milks, quinoa, sauces, and sometimes tofu. We always found tinned chick peas and lentils too. In the fridge sections, there was also usually soya yoghurts and chocolate puddings. But don't forget that if there are any French bank holidays then everywhere is closed. We survived on salted peanuts, a carrot salad and chocolate for dinner from a petrol station when we got caught out :?

Normally, I try to use local, independent, healthfood stores as much as I can, but we only discovered one in the whole two weeks in a big town called St Brieuc. Anyway, we managed to eat fine making meals on my little stove with plenty of fruit and veg and bits and pieces from the supermarkets which we then ate out of Swedish Glace tubs. Camping is the life!

It's a nice holiday cycling along the north Brittany coast. Even in August, all the campsites we reached managed to fit us in, one was even full but the owner managed to get two camper vans to move up and make way for us two-wheelers. I think the campsites know it's a lot harder for you to find somewhere else but you should definitely always arrive between 4-6pm and no later. It's a good work-out too with all the panniers (half-filled with food) and hills! Don't let anyone tell you it is gently rolling countryside either. Maybe, in a car on the main roads.

Finally, if anyone else ever gets there, there is a lovely campsite called Les Madieres just north from St Brieuc near to Pordic and Binic. The campsite is so pretty and the owners are really friendly. It's a really good place to stay for a couple of nights resting.

Dawn
Dawn

Postby kallefs » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:13 pm

Sounds like a nice trip. Is Brittany = Bretagne?

You have at least got me interested in some cycletouring in france :)
kallefs

Postby Dawn » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:21 pm

Yes it is Bretagne!
On that note, it is useful if you speak a little bit of French if you are doing that kind of trip too. I always try to learn a few words of the language wherever I am going anyway, it's just useful and you feel a bit less like a blundering tourist and more like a pleasant, respectful guest! But especially with the campsites it's nice if you can say 'Avez vous une emplacement?'. They often reply in English anyway if you've got a terrible accent like mine but will appreciate (and maybe be amused by) the effort. :)
Dawn

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews