ANARCHISM AND ATHEISM

Music, movies, literature, art, poems...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: ANARCHISM AND ATHEISM

Postby JamesAIGI » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:22 pm

Johnboy74 wrote:
JamesAIGI wrote:1- The God delusion: highlights the absurdity of organized religion and it's harmful effects on people throughout the world. It promotes critical thinking and it's author suggests banning religious education in schools...something i totally agree with...

Thoroughly enjoyed that book. Helped me see the world for what it really is!

Nice one!!
It's a good book for sure..
I am going to read his others..
Slight imperfection needs no correction
JamesAIGI

Postby JamesAIGI » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:24 pm

Big Good Wolf wrote:I find it amusing that, after all the shit that's happened on VF recently, there are still people here who think anarchy is a good thing.
There's worse people then Seitan, Influencer and Marolyn Moor out in the real world.

... but it sure aint gonna change said system or stop it from destroying the planet and everything that's living on it.

How many times do we have to go through this ? The planet is not going to be destroyed, it will still be here long after all the humans have gone.

I am not sure what you mean?
Am I one of these "worse" people out in the real world??? !!
JamesAIGI

Postby JamesAIGI » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:27 pm

ned wrote:
JamesAIGI wrote:I have just finished reading the best 2 books I have ever read...

I was just wondering about those who may have similar views on the vegan fitness website...(or the opposite views as may be the case)..

1- The God delusion: highlights the absurdity of organized religion and it's harmful effects on people throughout the world. It promotes critical thinking and it's author suggests banning religious education in schools...something i totally agree with...

2- days or war nights of love (by crimethink) highlights the absurdity and harmful nature of western civilization (but it is too complicated to sum up here..). This book should be considered a design for life for any sane person...

Not read the second one (although it sounds potentially interesting) but I have read The God Delusion. I thought it was terribly written and generally a bit of a shocker as books go :| It was the first of his books that I've read so I'll give at least one of his others a go when I can to see if that was a blip - I've heard good stuff about The Selfish Gene(?) so that may be the one I try next up.

The selfish gene is good....give it a read...
I can't believe you thought the god delusion was a bit of a shocker..!! well, if that's your view..!

J
JamesAIGI

Postby Johnboy74 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:39 pm

JamesAIGI wrote:The selfish gene is good....give it a read...

I'm reading that at the moment :D
****** Vegan Atheist ******
Most atheists see themselves as realists - their atheism is a part of their willingness to square up to the world as it is and face it without recourse to superstition or comforting fictions about a life to come or a benevolent power looking after us.
Johnboy74

Postby xrodolfox » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:49 pm

Johnboy74 wrote:

If you like that book, try "The Science of Good and Evil" instead.

I've not read the selfish gene, but what I understand of it pisses me off.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby JamesAIGI » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:50 pm

Influencer wrote:Before Johnboy seizes the contents of me larder :lol:

Back on track :arrow: Question for those who class themselves as 'anarchists' and have a job :? How can this be? How can you pay taxes to the government ?
Is there a need to class yourself as an anarchist? Why a label? Is that itself not a contradiction of being a anarchist?
Was John Lydon not more accurate(back in 77 before he sold out and sold butter etc) When he said that it was more credible to be anarchy than have some pseudo interlectualising about being an anarchist?- As it wasn't really possible ,anyway?

Love to know from those who feel they are 'anarchists'.

It is possible to have a job and be an anarchist ...if you understand the definition of anarchism then this is clear...
Labelling yourself an anarchist is not a contradiction of anarchism...it is necessary as a result of language and perception..
things need to be labelled or we would not know what things are would we....it is just a word that sums up a persons views about the state/government ...it is necessary so that person can identify with other like minded people...it is not fake or ego-related...
of course some people label themselves anarchists who are in fact not anarchists at all...but that does not mean labelling is a contradiction of anarchism..

you could say why call a banana a banana? why not just eat it..or call it a yellow piece of fruit instead?
JamesAIGI

Postby JamesAIGI » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:06 pm

xrodolfox wrote:
Johnboy74 wrote:

I will read the book you suggested,,,
also, i agree with your comments when you said you came to anarchism by process of elimination. I am the same, I see it as the only option to take..
JamesAIGI

Postby Johnboy74 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:36 pm

xrodolfox wrote:
Johnboy74 wrote:

Is this the one?
The Science of Good and Evil: Why People Cheat, Gossip, Care, Share, and Follow the Golden Rule by Michael Shermer (Paperback - 2 Jan 2005)
WHy does 'The Selfish Gene' piss you off exactly?
Most atheists see themselves as realists - their atheism is a part of their willingness to square up to the world as it is and face it without recourse to superstition or comforting fictions about a life to come or a benevolent power looking after us.
Johnboy74

Postby Clem Snide » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:46 pm

xrodolfox wrote:I've not read the selfish gene, but what I understand of it pisses me off.

Then you should reserve judgement until you've read it, an astonishing amount of rubbish and misinterpretation abound around that book, mainly through people reading moral judgements into descriptions of genetic behaviour. Theory has advanced a great deal since its publication (obviously; it's nearly thirty years old) but it's a solid read if you're interested in biology.
Clem Snide

Postby XkillerX » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:23 am

For years I have tried my best to justify and accept crimethinc and drop-out-society crusty punks, but I failed to see any improvement in theory, nor in real life upon meeting such folks. So fuck them, and fuck crimethinc. I also remember reading an anarchist propaganda newsletter thing where they boasted with usual shit... except they also boasted with "one of us even shot the president!".

Well hooray for you! Greetings to captain ambitious for such a positive example of how kindness, understanding and certain assasinations will make the world a better place.

SO:

Jon and Rodolfo, thank you so much for your huge posts which offer wonderful insights and... oh fuck it, what you guys wrote is stonking great! :o there! 8)
Next time, I'll spend the money on drugs instead.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby erske » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:53 pm

xrodolfox wrote:I've not read the selfish gene, but what I understand of it pisses me off.

I've not read it either, but I always thought it was more of a statement that the genes themselfes was selfish, rather than that genes/evolution makes us selfish!?!?
Something irrelevant about cavemen
erske

Postby JP » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:59 pm

selfish gene is a good book to read. Nothing to do with the cultural selfishness or behaviour.
JP
Site Admin

Postby Hiking Fox » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:16 pm

Influencer wrote:Question for those who class themselves as 'anarchists' and have a job :? How can this be? How can you pay taxes to the government ?

Just in case anyone else thinks like that...

I don't see how it is possible to live off benefits and call yourself an anarchist! After all, anarchy is all about getting rid of the state. So living off state benefits means legitimising and actually depending on the state. Totally non-anarchist! D'oh!

I don't call myself an anarchist, but I have friends who do and the ones I take seriously are the ones who have either set up their own small businesses and workers co-ops and the ones who do 'normal' mainstream jobs but do their best to stand up for the fellow workers and not take any shit.

The ones on benefits deliberately (as opposed to being ill, pensioners, genuinely unable to find work or raising small children) are basically hypocrites.
Hiking Fox

Postby Johnboy74 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:21 pm

JP wrote:selfish gene is a good book to read. Nothing to do with the cultural selfishness or behaviour.

Yep, more a 21st century take on darwinism
Johnboy74

Previous

Return to Culture