Running for Joy (plus cycling, swimming and hiking)

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby purple_mog » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:33 pm

Thanks for the comments folks :D

I was taking advantage of some free swim coaching at the local pool which has helped, but the coach has now moved to France :cry: I haven't seen anything like these mythical masters groups that seem to be around in the USA but will ask about just in case!

As for running - to be honest apart from one of my friends who is a proper triathete, nobody else is really that into exercising at all let alone running! Plus I tend to run early morning to fit it in? But I'll keep looking out for a running buddy, the dogs do help but when we're running for Cani-X training they are hooked to a waistbelt which does give me an easier time of it :lol:

Friday

2mile run - 10min normal pace, then 8 mins of faster run plus short recovery walk and repeat, 5mins normal pace to finish

Saturday

32mile bike ride including some gentle hills and a really nasty head wind! Took about 2hrs (friend had to stop a couple times and adjust their saddle). Even though I ate a banana half way through was definely in need of food by 2 hrs and the fruit/nut bar I had with me just wasn't enough - needed more fuel!

Sunday

definitely a rest day - in charge of conference on Sun/Mon/Tues so planning to get an early run in on Mon and Tues
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby purple_mog » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:16 am

ooooh I have been bad at updating last week! To remedy this:

Monday: 15min run on campus
Tuesday: felt really tired after late night so skipped exercise
Wednesday: conference is over!!! but I feel light headed if I stand up too fast....no exercise
Thursday: easy pace swim interrupted by us having to leave the pool, some kind of problem with the filters?? Managed about 24 lengths though.
Friday: Biked to and from work (9miles total)

Saturday: 30 min run at easy pace, twisted my ankle slightly right at the start so taking it very easy! Covered about 2 miles.

Sunday: went to see the triathlon bike course and rode it with a mate of mine. We did get lost a fair bit so covered about 22miles! On the plus side no major hills and felt pretty easygoing, and she thinks I'm a strong cyclist :lol:

Monday: for some reason went to sleep last night just aching to go for a run (not like me at all!) so ran 2.5 miles in 32mins this morning and it felt great :D
Biking to and from work today as well.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby purple_mog » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:47 am

Tuesday

Swim: 300m warm/up including arm/leg work
3 x 100m sets concentrating on form and building speed
150m cool down

Afternoon bike to and from work (8.5miles)

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby purple_mog » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:27 am

hmmmm make that a one way bike only yesterday as due to a flat tyre, problem with my spare inner tube and pump :x I had to call a friend to come collect me + bike from work *bah*

However, despite a late night I managed a bike into work followed by a 1mile run (12mins) which felt reasonable. Will aim to increase the bike time for next brick session.

Will be biking home in the evening assuming no more punctures :roll:

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby purple_mog » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:58 am

eeeeeek :shock: just checked my calendar and I have four weeks till the sprint tri :shock:

I am also a tad frustrated at lack of weight loss so far

Anyway: Thursday 23rd July

Swim:
warm up: 300m alternating between full/arm/leg every 50m

50m drills: first length steady pace fingertip drill, second length fast pace, rest 10 sec

2 x 75m sets, increasing speed throughout.

150m cool down

Total distance: 800m :?

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby purple_mog » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:54 am

Friday

Biked both ways to work twice - total 18miles and no punctures!

Saturday

up bright and early planning to do a 5k run. Didn't quite work out as planned - about a mile in my knee started to get kind of knarly feeling :cry: Tried slowing the pace down, taking breaks etc but ended up having to stop about 1.5miles in :evil:

Sunday

Took Sunday as a planned rest day and figured my knee could benefit from it. Ended up cutting the grass, cleaning the house, walking dogs and doing a bunch of maintenance stuff on my bikes. Oh, and a wee bike ride into town for food as well......think I may need to rest more on rest days!

On a better note despite grumping about my weight, it randomly came down at least 2lbs :P

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby purple_mog » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:54 am

Tuesday

Swim:
usual 300m warm up
4 x 100m sets at reasonable pace
150m cool down

Not feeling so great, was really tired last night plus period starting so quite stiff and achey. Took it easy!

PM: bike to and from work (9miles)

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby purple_mog » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:47 am

Wednesday

Wanted to do a three-sport set to try out the clothing combinations and just see how I would feel. Was prepared to feel pretty yuck as bad period cramps during the night but........it felt great!!!

I know it wasn't that far, or that fast, but I am determined to be pleased!!

Gentle bike to the pool for my warm-up - bear in mind that I was heading into work so had panniers on the bike and had to lock it up and unlock it (which took most time with my fumbling fingers!)

Swim: 400m 9mins

T1: 5min35

Bike: 22min25 (4.5miles including stopping for traffic lights!)

T2: 1min10

Run: 10mins (just under 1 mile distance)

Total time 48min14 :P

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby purple_mog » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:21 pm

Have signed up for my first 10k event (18th October) after checking out the CaniX schedule and realising that I'm aiming to run 21k in May next year *eeeep*

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby purple_mog » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:54 am

Thursday

30min run this morning with the dogs on mixture of pavements and rough grass. Really enjoyed it though was tempted to take a breather at 15mins :lol:

Planning a trial run through the sprint tri distances this weekend, and have a 5k race coming up in early August too.

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:37 pm

well done on your first tri - even if in training. :) How'd you recover from it?
Mr. Cleetus

Postby purple_mog » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:17 am

well done on your first tri - even if in training. How'd you recover from it?

thank you! to be honest it felt really good, I think I was really slow on the run and maybe taking it too easy? Definitely surprised that I didn't feel awful!

Weekend Update

wooooooot :!:

Am feeling very chuffed with myself indeed :razz: so apologies for the very selfish post and bragging :lol:

I missed my planned swim on Friday (at work from 8am till 11pm) and slept in on Saturday so no time to exercise except little dog walk. Had planned to do a practice for the sprint triathlon at the weekend, so collected my friend Lucy who offered to look after my bike etc.

Times
Swim (400m) 8:44
T1 2:47
Bike (21k) 48:49 [nasty headwind!]
T2 2:56
Run (5k) 35:10

Total 1hr 38min

Most amazing for me was that it didn't actually feel that hard! I think taking the time to rest beforehand really did make a big difference, and despite a little bit of cramping on the run I think I got the hydration/nutrition sorted. I am slightly amused that my run time was about the same as usual, apparently I run at my speed regardless if I have just swum and biked or not!

Really looking forward to the Beverley race now and feel totally hooked, such an amazing buzz to know that your body can keep going. Now I know I really can do it, can think about pushing it a bit more on the day as I was steady on the bike but not going all out.

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby purple_mog » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:21 am

Monday
rest day (and need to change bike tyres!)

Tuesday
Swim
150m regular / 150m arms /150m legs / some lengths alternating normal with fingertip drills - lost count coz I was having fun! Cool down 100m

Massage in afternoon - really deep work on my legs *ouch*

Wednesday
Swim (trying new goggles so more standing around than normal)
100m normal / 100m arms / 100m legs to warm up
4 x 25m alternating normal swim with fingertip drill
4 x 25m single arm alternating each length (really hard work!)
4 x 25m alternating normal with deep scoop catch
100m cool down noticing my form

Planning to bike with new tyres to work this afternoon (9miles round trip)

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby purple_mog » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:19 pm

Thursday

Run with dogs, planned to be 30mins but cut to 26mins as Finn was a little stiff in his back leg, did some stretching with him and walked home. GPS not back from being repaired so not sure on distance.

Definitely warmer than I expected and was wishing I had taken some water with me!

(no biking)

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby purple_mog » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:07 am

Friday

Run (5min warm up, 10min cool down plus 15min run) covered about 1.5miles at faster pace than usual. Felt great in my legs but having issues with a nasty stitch near the end.

Definitely noticing that with the running my legs feel really good, its my breathing that actually slows me down or makes me want to stop :roll:

Forgot to add: had a short breakfast break then biked into work (4.5miles) will bike home at lunchtime

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs