People who fall off the wagon or knock veganism...

Going vegan and new vegans in need of support or information.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

People who fall off the wagon or knock veganism...

Postby gauze » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:49 pm

how much, if any, help do you extend to these people? I'm referring here to people who may have gone even just vegetarian for a few months then cite "declining health" for returning to meat.
from a personal perspective, I jacked in veganism for a period a few years ago claiming the old chestnut of "not enough protein" which was just a cover for my laziness. A few people told me I was a pussy and I just manned up and got back into the swing of things as my internal desire was there. In your own lives, have you met people claiming nonsense about vegan/vegetarianism and if so how much did you help them with recipes/advice etc or did you just tell them to quit being a pussy and give some tough love?
"I've been doing a lot of running, swimming, cycling, well, I mean, you know how it is..."

-"NO. Actually I don't know, I play real sports, I'm not trying to be the best at exercising."
gauze

Postby gauze » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:52 pm

i guess this question also covers how much people are concerned with "spreading the vegan message" and at what point you admit defeat with some people. or if you are even concerned with spreading veganisms popularity.
"I've been doing a lot of running, swimming, cycling, well, I mean, you know how it is..."

-"NO. Actually I don't know, I play real sports, I'm not trying to be the best at exercising."
gauze

Re: People who fall off the wagon or knock veganism...

Postby SpugFab » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:53 pm

gauze wrote:how much, if any, help do you extend to these people?

There will be no allegiance with those who TURN TO SIN
SpugFab

Postby erske » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:11 pm

The fallen people I've met have as I percived it not been perceptive to help at that moment. I usually bite my lip and try just to be nice and try to pose as a good role model..

However, I do not find it easy! The once I've met either use it as a conversation starter "I used to be a vegan too" (implied: "when I was young and stupid") This might just be me reading to much into it, but I always get the feeling they feel they have the right to critique veganism since they once was vegan but couldn't do it. (it might also just be a defencive mecanism that they stick to that they couldn't get enough protein or whatever if/when I try to come with tips, not really ready to change back)
Something irrelevant about cavemen
erske

Postby seitan » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:07 pm

i really struggle with them, because they KNOW exactly why they were vegan in the first place. but giving it up, they are turning their backs on compassion, they are saying "fuck the animals".
no human is innocent
seitan

Postby Starling in a cage » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:26 pm

I have to admit that I don't know any vegans other than those I've met through this site.

However....

The other week at work I was offered a chocolate from a box of Terrys All Gold. I asked if they were vegan and suddenly one of my colleagues, who rarely speaks to me, turned to face me, announced she used to be vegan, looked me up and down then rested her eyes disapprovingly on my shoes.

Anyway, we talked briefly about food, specifically Tofu (pronounced Toe-f-huw according to her) then admitted that she gave up veganism because the food just wasn't readily available at the time. She would have stayed vegan if Quorn had been available at the time. When I pointed out that Quorn isn't vegan she replied 'oh, I Think you'll find it is". And this from a health care lecturer.

I'm afraid that I just ignored her and got on with my work.
Life is a journey, not a destination ...
Always take the scenic route.
Starling in a cage

Postby Influencer » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:59 pm

Was she right about the shoes or not... :?: :)
Influencer

Postby gauze » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:22 am

you should've headbutted her.

gauze

Postby Starling in a cage » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:01 am

Was she right about the shoes or not...

:oops: :oops: :oops:
They are a very old pair bought many years ago before I was vegan and are very comfortable and fit my bunions well. I will buy some new shoes soon, promise.
Life is a journey, not a destination ...
Always take the scenic route.
Starling in a cage

Postby Clem Snide » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:57 am

Starling in a cage wrote:

They are a very old pair bought many years ago before I was vegan and are very comfortable and fit my bunions well. I will buy some new shoes soon, promise.

Ignore the vegan police and just wear your fucking shoes.
Clem Snide

Postby seitan » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:41 pm

Clem Snide wrote:

and if someone at work offers you a burger, that, you know, would otherwise go in the bin, eat it.
no human is innocent
seitan

Re: People who fall off the wagon or knock veganism...

Postby ninearms » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:54 pm

SpugFab wrote:
gauze wrote:how much, if any, help do you extend to these people?

There will be no allegiance with those who TURN TO SIN

Too right. If these people refuse to change then they are guilty and must be destroyed.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby KaliBaby » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:12 pm

Clem Snide wrote:

wear them until you can't anymore. I hate situations like that when people judge you for your shoes when you say that you're vegan. personally, I refuse to just throw away shoes I worked hard for. as long as you make a commitment not to buy non-vegan shoes in the future, I'd say just shake off what your crappy coworker said.
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby thestoatyone » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:22 pm

Seconded.
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby seitan » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:33 pm

not thirded :)
no human is innocent
seitan

Next

Return to New Vegan