Plyo boxes

Home of strength: powerlifting, olympic lifting, grip strength, strongman, odd object lifting, explosive power...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Plyo boxes

Postby gauze » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:03 pm

WTF?!

A casual browse tells me these basic implements range from £100 to over £300 for 1! I'm gonna try to make some myself despite not being DIY inclined. It looks like I could knock one up in a few minutes.
"I've been doing a lot of running, swimming, cycling, well, I mean, you know how it is..."

-"NO. Actually I don't know, I play real sports, I'm not trying to be the best at exercising."
gauze
Active Member
 
Posts: 732
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:07 pm

Postby aliquis » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:02 pm

Sure it's basic but what anything metall cost lots of money. More so for big or heavy stuff.

Generic 4"x2" wood or whatever most likely cost more than you'd expect for whatever tree parts too. Not that it would cost you 100 £ to build a box of it but anyway, sadly it's not free =P

(Though if one got a work I guess it's a non-issue.)
User avatar
aliquis
Active Member
 
Posts: 1750
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:30 pm
Location: Örebro, Sweden

Postby JP » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:08 pm

Pallets, a solution to suprisingly many everyday problems

Image

1-2 pounds per pallet used.

Adjustable height as well :D
User avatar
JP
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19225
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:14 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Postby veganjosh » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:25 am

JP wrote:Pallets, a solution to suprisingly many everyday problems


Have you stacked pallets for use as plyo boxes? Any tips on making it so they don't slide on top of each other? With 10 pallets or whatever stacked, it seems like you could have a big mess if you missed a jump and whacked your feet/shins into them.

I'm building out a home gym right now, and am also dealing with trying to figure out what to do for jumps...
User avatar
veganjosh
Active Member
 
Posts: 656
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 1:34 am
Location: NYC

Postby SpugFab » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:40 am

veganjosh wrote:I'm building out a home gym right now, and am also dealing with trying to figure out what to do for jumps...

Maybe don't worry about jumping onto something and think about jumping up to something instead?

You could have one of those vertical leap indicators which mark the highest point your hand reached. Or you get those mats which time how long you are in the air and calculate how high you reached.

After all, jumping onto the box is a lot about the technique and flexibility of bringing your legs up under you to land on the box. When what you are really interested in is the explosive movement before that.
User avatar
SpugFab
Active Member
 
Posts: 4526
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:35 pm
Location: Frankfurt am Main

Postby GrahamC » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:46 am

Here's a 'recipe' for a plyo box from Crossfit.com:

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/49 ... _boxes.pdf
User avatar
GrahamC
Active Member
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:08 pm
Location: UK

Postby JP » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:11 am

i've never even thought that there would be a specialist boxes to jump on. I just jump on stairs, outside on some walls, weightlifting blocks at the gym and so on.
User avatar
JP
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19225
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:14 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Postby gauze » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:50 am

JP wrote:Pallets, a solution to suprisingly many everyday problems

Image

1-2 pounds per pallet used.

Adjustable height as well :D


great work JP, I've managed to snag free pallets from Travis Perkins before to use as a makeshift sled. Add on £1.50 bags of ballast and you've got cheap as shit carry and drag implements!
"I've been doing a lot of running, swimming, cycling, well, I mean, you know how it is..."

-"NO. Actually I don't know, I play real sports, I'm not trying to be the best at exercising."
gauze
Active Member
 
Posts: 732
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:07 pm

Postby veganjosh » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:57 pm

SpugFab wrote:
veganjosh wrote:I'm building out a home gym right now, and am also dealing with trying to figure out what to do for jumps...

Maybe don't worry about jumping onto something and think about jumping up to something instead?

You could have one of those vertical leap indicators which mark the highest point your hand reached. Or you get those mats which time how long you are in the air and calculate how high you reached.

After all, jumping onto the box is a lot about the technique and flexibility of bringing your legs up under you to land on the box. When what you are really interested in is the explosive movement before that.


I don't know...there's something about the fear of smacking my shins on the edge of a box if I miss that tends to motivate me into getting an extra few inches of height :) Plus, for me, training for cycling, having to go quickly from an explosive push into a crouch to get on the box is probably good.
User avatar
veganjosh
Active Member
 
Posts: 656
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 1:34 am
Location: NYC


Return to Power and Strength

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest