Snowboarding

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby Alistar » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:40 am

Just went snowboarding in the weekend. We've got heaps of snow atm in NZ . Had quite a few lean yrs but the last couple have been pretty good with colder Winters.
Snow conditions were great the first time we went up(last Thursday). Just snowed the day before then cleared and temp was relatively mild.

Took the kids(3) up the mountain on Saturday which for 2 of them (6 and 10yrs) was their first time skiing. They had a great time and they took it up pretty quick!

Don't really go up that much these days as its quite costly etc.
But the view itself up the top of Mt Hutt(where we went) is just beautiful on a clear blue sky day though! Then you get the added benefit of skiing/boarding. :D
Alistar

Postby XkillerX » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:12 pm

Snowwwww....

boarding!

Me so jealous! Any photos?
Next time, I'll spend the money on drugs instead.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby Alistar » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:23 pm

Our camera has lost its charger which is really annoying, but my brother took a few pictures. He's still on holiday so hopefully will send some through when he gets home next week...
Alistar

Postby Zeebo » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:06 am

Another vegan snowboarder here :)

I've only managed 2 days riding this year, not looking like a good season at all, it actually feels like winter is finished here in Sydney.

What vegan snowboard boots has anyone found? Unfortunately I'm still wearing leather bought in my pre-vegan days :(
Zeebo

Postby markxrat » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:20 pm

Its nearly snow season again whos excited? :D

Where is everyone going this season?
markxrat

Postby skoptic » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:31 am

Yeah ... come on with the snow!

I'm off to France twice this season .. Tignes at the start of the season and Morillon at the end. I feel pretty lucky cause I've managed to blag my way into both holidays.

I'm hiring kit and will see what's on offer vegan style :-) I'm very jealous of boarding in NZ, from what I've seen it look stunning...
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby markxrat » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:04 am

Tignes. sounds great.

Im looking to head out so St. Anton in Feb but its proving hard to find somewhere to stay. So now looking across Austria and Switzerland. Will find soemthing either way. Might look into a weekend or something towards the end of the season in Bulgaria maybe too if i can find a good deal.
markxrat

Postby TGB » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:58 pm

Add me to the list of vegan boarders. I'm here in the north of the UK and we've had lots of snow over the past month. Most of its gone now but its started snowing again so I'm hoping its gonna build up in the hills above where I live.

I usually board in the French or Swiss Alps, especially Chamonix. Last year I was in Les Arc in January and Saas Fee in March. This year I'm giving it a miss but seeing as we've had so much snow here in January I'm not complaining, though I am hoping for lots more.

In May I'm going mountain biking in the Alps and am hoping to do some boarding at Saas Fee.
TGB

Postby downhillingdemon » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:14 pm

TGB wrote:Image

Add me to the list of vegan boarders. I'm here in the north of the UK and we've had lots of snow over the past month. Most of its gone now but its started snowing again so I'm hoping its gonna build up in the hills above where I live.

I usually board in the French or Swiss Alps, especially Chamonix. Last year I was in Les Arc in January and Saas Fee in March. This year I'm giving it a miss but seeing as we've had so much snow here in January I'm not complaining, though I am hoping for lots more.

In May I'm going mountain biking in the Alps and am hoping to do some boarding at Saas Fee.

Fab pic 8)
"You can't hide from your shadow"
downhillingdemon

Postby Andrew6666 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:03 am

Been a snowboarder for about 1.5 years now. . . . . love it!!!!

Been a vegan about the same time too.
Andrew6666

Postby JS » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:36 am

A newbie boarder and just back from a week in Val D with a very sore bottom!!!!! I'm just about getting there with the turns :)

Hoping to get into the scottish hills more to practice :)
JS

Postby skoptic » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:48 pm

JS wrote:A newbie boarder and just back from a week in Val D with a very sore bottom!!!!! I'm just about getting there with the turns :)

Good work - hope you had a good one. Just got back from a week in the Alps too (Morillon). Fortunately I've been doing it for years - but a newbie I was with resorted to putting a folded jumper in the pocket at the bottom of the back of his jacket! He claims it saved his arse ... quite literally :-)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby TGB » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:07 am

Cheers for the comment downhiller!!!!

Ha! I can remember when I started. Had a sore backside a few times. Its those heavy landings on your arse and you wondered if you should stick your hand down your pants and see if there is any blood!!!!!

I was checking out Scotland last year for a snowboarding trip but everytime there was decent snow the winds were crazy wild and everything was closed.

I've been boarding for several years and skateboarding before that so I got away without having to take any lessons and took to it pretty quickly. Though I dont really do any crazy stuff like big jumps I do have some fun off piste and scoping snow terrain looking out for hips, drops and natural jumps. I love zooming through the trees aswell.

Had a blast in Saas Fee last year. Took a newbie with me and I ended up going up the mountain on my own quite alot. There was 12 foot / 4 meters of snow and it was pretty amazing. Coming down from Platjen was incredible.
TGB

Postby XkillerX » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:47 pm

Well I lost my USB stick with the trix filmz so you'll just have to imagine me doing flatland stuff and take my word on it.

I still get scared shitless when riding fast.

I know it should get better over time, but I prefer freestyling. I've had my fair share of cuts and bruises and wasted lower back over the years so I wear a complete body armor now. And use all occassions for jumps - I don't care about what trick I pull or how messily I land and fall: it's all about the hang time :twisted:
Next time, I'll spend the money on drugs instead.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby JuicyJ » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:21 pm

boarding is awesome.
In Whistler we had some really extensive snowboard parks and some wicked riders who did every trick around and, some unfortunate early demises as a result of the insanity.
Ross Rebagliati the first to win Gold ( hey he got it back ) in '98 was a good bud- We actualy had acl surgery and rehab togetner :lol:
I am not one of those skiers who ride and never go back but I do enjoy riding.
Did you catch Shaun White last night?
His airtime and skills are beyond incredible :D
JuicyJ

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness