very very new to all this, need recipies.

Going vegan and new vegans in need of support or information.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

very very new to all this, need recipies.

Postby mizuza » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:03 pm

i have very recently decided to go vegan, over the last month i have completley cut out dairy, and most meats, and the last couple of days i have been totaly meat free. :D

but i need some help, i love various foods lentils beans chickpeas etc, but i am really lacking in good recipies.

any help and advice very much appreciated.

thanks
Amelia
mizuza

Postby mizuza » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:19 pm

Oops just found the recipie forum....haha
Amelia
mizuza

Postby KaliBaby » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:27 pm

have fun exploring the forum, hopefully you'll find a lot of things useful!
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby flightlessbirds » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:45 pm

The internet in general has loads of vegan recipes.
There also lots of good cookbooks out there. Vegan with a Vengance, Veganomicon, etc...

The Post Punk Kitchen is a great recipe forum/website.

Happy vegan cooking!
flightlessbirds

Postby Arbela » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:48 pm

Hi Amelia, :)

I'm a fan of cookbooks, so the minute I decided to go vegan, I ran straight to Amazon.

Vegan With A Vengeance: I'm working through this one now and have liked every recipe so far. The ingredient lists are simple, which is nice when you're being introduced to some new, funky-sounding stuff you've never heard of before. The book is also sprinkled with helpful tips and funny stories.

The Complete Vegan Kitchen: I've only made one recipe from this one (still working with VWAV), but it was great! Right now, I'm using this book as more of a reference than anything. The "Getting Started" chapter is one I go to frequently with its explanations on soy products, oils, and sweeteners. (It doesn't list Agave Nectar though, which I found strange.)

Vegan Yum Yum is a site that was recommended to me by an online friend. I haven't made anything yet, but she had nothing but praise for the recipes.

Do you like to bake? :twisted:

Both books have baking recipes. TCVK has a chocolate chip cookie recipe that is very close to my mother-in-law's beloved cookies, which was cause for celebration (I thought I was going to be without her cookies for the rest of my days...NOT cool). VWAV has cookies, scones, cake, etc.

Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World is lots of fun too. I just made a batch from this book today actually. The cupcakes are cooling as I type.

I'll shut up now. :P Maybe.
Arbela

Postby flightlessbirds » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:09 pm

mmmm, yeah, I've made a few cupcake recipes from VCTOTW and they've all been deeeeelicious.
flightlessbirds

Postby erske » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:55 pm

Love cookbooks too, but have never been a fan of folowing recepies..

My first years of being vegan consisted of pasta, fried veggies and some legumes in soycream sauce.. Come to think of it, my diet still consist of mostly this :wink:

But jokes aside, just experiment and have fun.. Welcome to the forum :D
Something irrelevant about cavemen
erske

Postby mizuza » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:10 pm

Thanks for all your replies. i will get some good cook books. i managed to get info from the vegan society too.
Amelia
mizuza

Postby GoingVegan » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:45 pm

Arbela wrote:

Vegan With A Vengeance: I'm working through this one now and have liked every recipe so far. The ingredient lists are simple, which is nice when you're being introduced to some new, funky-sounding stuff you've never heard of before. The book is also sprinkled with helpful tips and funny stories.

best one by far. I liked it so much I bought it from my brother, who is a new to the vegan way.
GoingVegan

Postby chronyx » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:40 pm

Not sure of your circumstances but Vegan Cooking for One is also recommended!
chronyx

Postby hakko » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:24 pm

A good strategy might be:

1. find a good vegan blog, like http://veganmenu.blogspot.com/
2. check it out
3. follow it's links to other vegan blogs

repeat step 2 and 3. :)

I'm a bit lazy and keep to Swedish vegan blogs, therefore, I cannot give a more fine-grained list of interesting blogs to follow. But the concept of constantly updated inspiration beats cookbooks in my opinion.
hakko

Return to New Vegan