Best music to be played in the gym!?

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Best music to be played in the gym!?

Postby Influencer » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:37 pm

Most people I have trained with over the years seem to appreciate the motivational benefit that music can have on their workouts.
The gym I go to seems to be a little too dance and R'n' B focused in its choice of music for my liking- but it obviously all boils down to personal preferances as to what may be 'good' or 'bad'.
I'm interested to know what music (if any) is played in the gyms people are attending.(not neccessarily genres, more tracks or bands)
And which particular bands or songs people find drive their workouts best. Either in the gym or if they do use IPOD's or Walkmans(sure they will be some still being used :D )when exercising not in the gym.

I still find the Rocky 'Getting Stronger' track quite effective-especially the imagery it provokes from the said film.
Influencer

Postby thestoatyone » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:39 pm

For lifting I stick on some hatebreed.
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Re: Best music to be played in the gym!?

Postby james79 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:17 am

hatebreed
Don't let your outrage for injustice end where your selfishness begins
james79

Postby SpugFab » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:35 am

Hatebreed.
SpugFab

Postby xJimx » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:03 am

Sadly my gym plays all the latest mindnumbing commercial dance tracks - think the Radio 1 playlist but worse. Not really the ideal soundtrack to a vigorous workout.

Like the other guys have said already, tuff guy macho hc is the way to go, though I'd take Until The End over Hatebreed anyday, specifically the the Blood In The Ink album.
DYEL
xJimx

Postby Catt Queen » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:16 am

Loud angry music of whatever kind... :D
Allie =^..^=
http://www.stronger.me.uk
Find me on Facebook
Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts.
That's what little girls are made of; to hell with sugar and spice.
Catt Queen

Postby JP » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:19 am

i would never listen to mp3 player when lifting. But then again, i always lift in a crew - and you wouldnt be listening to your player in competitions anyway so no point getting used to it. What ever comes from radio is blurred in the background anyway.

Only when i do cardio i have my own tunes. Hardcore techno/gabba is the latest soundtrack - and it works because the beats per min can be followed with the crosstrainer :D

but now in ashton strongman area there is a cd player with the latest prodigy in it, thats pretty good for lifting.
JP
Site Admin

Postby mouche » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:20 am

My gym plays a pretty wide range - mainly dance remixes which are ok, enough of a beat but not usually very good music, sometimes they'll be in an r'n'b mood which sucks, occasionally they're played some AC/DC which can be fun.

My gym at uni plays Radio 1... I hate it. Plus they play it really quietly so it doesn't cover up any grunting and other interesting sounds, so I feel pretty conspicuous as the only female voice in the free weights section (and the lazy students don't work hard enough with their weights to make weird throat noises anyway).

Haven't listened to Hatebreed or Terror in YEARS but I can imagine it'd do wonders for lifting. I like Comeback Kid to get me in the mood when getting ready to go to the gym... if getting ready to go out for a run I usually just stick on some Faithless for a couple minutes or something.
mouche

Postby Rochellita » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:41 am

My gym plays all the usual middle of the road dance crap.

For running I prefer hardcore techno/gabber/terrorcore, tried running to hardcore but it doesn't make me move as fast.
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby SpugFab » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:47 am

JP wrote:i would never listen to mp3 player when lifting

I used to, but I got out of the habit when I got used to playing my own music in my own gym. Was never anyone else in the leg room so I took in my own tunes.

My current gym has a live DJ (yeah it's a posh gym), I guess he takes requests although I've never bothered.
SpugFab

Postby puppydog » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:19 am

SpugFab wrote:My current gym has a live DJ (yeah it's a posh gym), I guess he takes requests although I've never bothered.

:shock:

When i saw those pictures I knew it was a posh gym but an actual DJ??? That's too much! How can I get that job???
puppydog

Postby Clem Snide » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:19 am

I'm pretty sure listening to gabba while exercising is contraindicated by the WHO, due to the risk of your heart and head exploding.
Clem Snide

Postby Rochellita » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:11 pm

Clem Snide wrote:I'm pretty sure listening to gabba while exercising is contraindicated by the WHO, due to the risk of your heart and head exploding.

I shall exercise caution then and keep it to gabber that is 200 bpm or less.
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby SpugFab » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:13 pm

I do have one tune that is played repeatedly prior to leaving for any squat or deadlift session.

I think I'd struggle to get it played in the new gym though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7FHm53PbaM
SpugFab

Postby JP » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:15 pm

Many a PB has been prepped with that tune!
JP
Site Admin

Next

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness