Alternative introduction to VF dot net for new members

Going vegan and new vegans in need of support or information.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Alternative introduction to VF dot net for new members

Postby XkillerX » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:32 pm

Obviously new members will find what I type in this post very strange and completely unbelieavble, but imagine that, there was actually a time and space in the universe when this discussion board was a place where folks from all over the wibble came to discuss VEGANISM and FITNESS.

DO YOU READ THAT???

THAT'S VEGANISM, AND FITNESS!!!

It was like the fight club, only an imaginery fight club, where weak, unexperienced and scared people would show up and six months later smash PBs and reach new horizons in their lives.

I remember people who were competing in sports, gathering to talk trash and set new records, and wipe the floor with pathetic meaties who would later on shake their heads in disbelief and hope total recall syndrome would erase all of it.

There is still a bunch of VF members who were not afraid to let their bodies suffer and then rise again and glide on the torrents of endorphins after a hard day's workout.

Some of them would:

Bench until they got pinned with an empty bar, only to deadlift fscking cars several years later.

Run the half marathon so hard they would puke, then carry on to win the race.

Start as skinny stickmen only to compete and win strongmen events years later.

Overcome ED to become powerlifting champs.

Flip off doctors who told them to curl up and die and hike half of the continent's mountains with backpacks heavier than themselves.

Train twice a day for months without brakes to cure complexes and call out names for groundfights.

So do not be afraid.

All beginnings are rough.

But if you devote your time to something, I might as well be VEGANISM AND FITNESS, they are too goals worth devoting time for.
Next time, I'll spend the money on drugs instead.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby thestoatyone » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:40 pm

Killer saves the internet!
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby mouche » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:25 pm

I like :D
mouche

Postby Boudicca » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:29 pm

I have already posted my view here and had it removed.
I state again.
Am I not welcome as I have a prescribed medical condition that prevents me from partaking in prolonged strenuos activity.
I am a Vegan.
I respect others rights to take part in fitness activity.
Will others afford me the same respect as a non fitness person.
Boudicca

Postby JP » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:44 pm

Boudicca wrote:I have already posted my view here and had it removed.

it was not "removed" - its just that the forum software doesnt support joining posts to other threads and i thought your original post was more to the other thread - which it seemed to be. Which is why i PMd you the original post in full so you can eithe repost it to the other thread or back to this thread.

sorry to break the illusion :D

Am I not welcome as I have a prescribed medical condition that prevents me from partaking in prolonged strenuos activity.
I am a Vegan.
I respect others rights to take part in fitness activity.
Will others afford me the same respect as a non fitness person.

there are many members who do not do any physical activity per se on this forum - some for instance contribute in the diet and nutrition section, or post to help new vegans.

So far you have only posted in arguments, but that doesnt mean that you wouldnt be a good contributor in the future!

But yeah, killers definition is too narrow, even if it does cover the essense and the whole reason of this forum which is after all to serve a niche of a niche - vegans who are into sports and fitness.
JP
Site Admin

Postby Gelert » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:25 pm

Boudicca wrote:Will others afford me the same respect as a non fitness person.

I will, at least. I'm sure most others will respect a positive contribution too.

Boudicca wrote:Am I not welcome as I have a prescribed medical condition that prevents me from partaking in prolonged strenuos activity.

I'm sorry to hear that. I can empathize a little with your situation. Due to a particular injury I was advised age 21 not to further partake in any strenuous activity by my NHS consultant, it was really frustrating and has also threatened my ability to work as well. Fortunately I mistrusted him and endeavoured to find ways around my problems. My very long term plans include a substantial traverse of a major polar objective. Just don't tell my doctor.

Anyway, the reason I mention this is that in large part encouragment, support and advice from people on vf.net has played a mahoosive role in getting over that. It hasn't gone away, in fact at the moment it's very painful. But I regrouped thanks to the inspiration from people here.

You don't have to cross Antarctica, or become a champion powerlifter, or run five minute miles all day every day, but if you wish there is a considerable resource of information on here in various people's brains which you can access should you wish to find or progress on some fitness/sport goals.

It doesn't have to be too strenuous.
Gelert

Postby BenH » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:00 pm

As a new member myself, I didn't read any particular unwelcoming vibe into killer's post. Probably easy for me to say (as I aspire to train in that way myself), but I don't see how it's a harmful attitude in a vegan fitness community in any case.

There is a point when tolerance and acceptance of others becomes the death of our principles and/or lifestyle, because of both being diluted; and then a community may as well be called "a bunch of people with opinions who get along okay." It still irks me that I walk past people who eat the dead flesh of (animal) children in the street and don't do or say anything, and when I look at an obese person I can't bring myself to feel respect. Are principles and lifestyle choices so fragile that "common courtesy" (reserved for humans, of course) is more important?

With that said, I'd love to take part in a community that was constantly providing incentives and challenges, the "imaginary fight club" killer mentions, and I don't see why it would alienate those who couldn't or wouldn't take part.

PS: Sorry about the rant, got a bit carried away there.
BenH

Postby thestoatyone » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:28 pm

With that said, I'd love to take part in a community that was constantly providing incentives and challenges, the "imaginary fight club" killer mentions

You're in tha raight place th'n boi! :wink:
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby TMH » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:36 pm

Gelert wrote:I'm sorry to hear that. I can empathize a little with your situation. Due to a particular injury I was advised age 21 not to further partake in any strenuous activity by my NHS consultant, it was really frustrating and has also threatened my ability to work as well. Fortunately I mistrusted him and endeavoured to find ways around my problems. My very long term plans include a substantial traverse of a major polar objective. Just don't tell my doctor.

It doesn't have to be too strenuous.

Kudos for the self-determination, etc, G!

Based on some of the photos you've shared with us in previous threads, your outdoor excusions with Fruitbat and Enhydratis (spelling?) have been nothing but admirable in their location, elevations, etc.

Rock'n'living on terra firma!
TMH

Postby alessioisonfire » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:19 pm

personally i never started a training log because i lack the time and because i have no clue what the machines i use in the gym are called..

i really support those who do it, it's amazing to see how much effort you put in what you're doing to keep up :)
alessioisonfire

Postby Arbela » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:29 pm

I wasn't going to participate in the training log at first. I later decided to include my experiences as a new vegan, which makes it a little more interesting for me.

I keep paper notes on my actual workout numbers and don't plan on detailing those. Well, unless I finally get to bench 50 lbs. That I'll highlight!
Arbela

Postby Boudicca » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:13 pm

JP- My intention is not to start off on the wrong foot but I feel I must set right what you have said. I have not 'only posted in arguements'. If anyone cares to check my postings to date they will see that I introduced myself on the relevant section. I also added my interest in a recipe for Mashed Potatoes with Garlic and Spinach in the Recipes section. I then asked a question over people being mocked. Didn't respond because the answer given was sufficient.
Hope its not too unreasonable to ask a moderator to try and be accurate with his statements?

If it is acceptable to take someones postings on one subject in one section and place it on another subject because that is considered by the moderator more relevant. That is a new thing to me. Have not encountered that before.Is this something that you do on a regular basis, if you don't mind me asking?
Boudicca

Postby JP » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:23 pm

I stand corrected! You indeed posted an intro post.

But bygones are bygones - hope the ride is not as bumpy from now on :)

Boudicca wrote:If it is acceptable to take someones postings on one subject in one section and place it on another subject because that is considered by the moderator more relevant. That is a new thing to me. Have not encountered that before.Is this something that you do on a regular basis, if you don't mind me asking?

Because the forum software doesnt support it and we actually need to delete the message, post it to the person who posted it, and ask them to repost it to the othe thread, it is a bit of a ballache. Especially new members often hit "new topic" instead of "reply", and that has to be reposted. I personally do it maybe every few weeks or so.

On other forum softwares (and on ours after we get it updated t the latest version!) topic joining is supported, which means its easier to move posts to other topics.

But it can get terribly confusing, so i dont think we would be doing it as much as you see on many forums which just have massive long threads on every subject because they always lump everything related to that one thread.
JP
Site Admin

Postby SpugFab » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:36 pm

Boudicca wrote:I also added my interest in a recipe for Mashed Potatoes with Garlic and Spinach in the Recipes section.

I consider that thread to be an argument, it just hasn't kicked off fully yet.
SpugFab

Return to New Vegan