V-Bites [Hove, UK]

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

V-Bites [Hove, UK]

Postby Rochellita » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:48 pm

Looks like Heather Mills is doing something positive with her millions. She bought a fish restaurant and is opening it as a vegan business this Saturday.

http://www.vbites.com/
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby Clem Snide » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:03 pm

Good to see her coming out of Paul's shadow and standing on her own two feet.
Clem Snide

Postby Rochellita » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:10 pm

Indeed.

The menu looks interesting, very traditional English food. I wonder what the Builders Brunch will be like. The ice-cream bar sounds exciting.
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby SpugFab » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:11 pm

I should be in Brighton this weekend (if the weather is nice).

I might check it out. Opening weekend might have freebies after all :)
SpugFab

Postby alit » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:14 pm

Sounds good, Im going to Brighton in August for the first time and will add this to my list of vegan places to eat whilst there!
alit

Postby xJimx » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:24 am

I'll be down that way with the family next month. Looks really good for kids (anyone else noticed how bad most veg*an places are for kids?) & no hippy bullsh*t so ticks a couple of boxes right away :)
DYEL
xJimx

Postby valene » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:36 pm

I'll be in Brighton later on this summer and will def try to track down this place. Those cupcakes look yum! I have to stop planning hols around proximity to vegan restaurants though :oops: Anybody else do this?
valene

Postby xJimx » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:58 pm

valene wrote:I have to stop planning hols around proximity to vegan restaurants though :oops: Anybody else do this?

Probably only about 99.99% of us :)

I planned my honeymoon on this basis (went to California); my non-vegan wife wasn't best pleased :lol:
DYEL
xJimx

Postby Johnboy74 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:01 pm

Love Brighton, was there recently, look forward to visiting Vbites!
Just realsied that there also doing a vegan food range which you can buy through the website! Good stuff!
****** Vegan Atheist ******
Most atheists see themselves as realists - their atheism is a part of their willingness to square up to the world as it is and face it without recourse to superstition or comforting fictions about a life to come or a benevolent power looking after us.
Johnboy74

Postby seitan » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:08 pm

Clem Snide wrote:Good to see her coming out of Paul's shadow and standing on her own two feet.

shes been out of his "shadow" for a long time, and this is not the first thing shes done (financially) to help promote veganism.
no human is innocent
seitan

Postby Clem Snide » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:52 pm

seitan wrote:
Clem Snide wrote:Good to see her coming out of Paul's shadow and standing on her own two feet.

shes been out of his "shadow" for a long time, and this is not the first thing shes done (financially) to help promote veganism.

lolfail.
Clem Snide

Postby seitan » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:56 pm

Clem Snide wrote:
seitan wrote:

lolfail.

tell us what you know then :)
no human is innocent
seitan

Postby HumanGazelle » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:27 pm

So I went to VBites this weekend. First off, Hove is a fair hike from Brighton, but the promenade walk is pretty nice.

As already mentioned in this thread, it's lively, family oriented, and non-hippy. Whether that's good depends on what you expect from a restaurant. It's not my preference but I am glad to see a family-oriented vegan restaurant out there now; there's definitely a market for that; probably a big one.

It's good value for money, and reasonably priced (i.e. it's not gourmet and doesn't charge as if it is). My sausages were Redwoods (predictably, since she owns them now) which are good sausages anyway. The cakes are v. good, the coffee wasn't great though (critical for me but hardly up there in the scheme of things, I know). There was also a spelling mistake on the menu, but the staff were friendly, which made up for it.

If I'm in the area, I'll definitely go again - there was a lot of stuff still left to try for the first time (fake fish, chicken etc). It's worth taking non-vegans to VBites, as it's an accessible menu and, I think, non-scary to even the most prejudiced meat-eaters.
HumanGazelle

Postby xJimx » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:20 pm

I was there this weekend too! Plus my daughters, wife & a couple of omni relations. It was very busy & it is also pretty small inside (plenty of outside seating but weather wasn't great) so we had to sit on bar stools; not ideal with little kids but no real problem.

For me visiting a vegetarian, let alone vegan, restaurant is a huge treat/novelty so I was very excited. The food was pretty good, although nothing that any half-decent cook couldn't rustle up themselves, & reasonable value.

Now the important bit: CAKE. There were 12 different gateaux to choose from & also a cupcake conveyer belt! Couldn't decide so had 4: chocolate orange (very nice), banana & nut (nice but dry), coffee & walnut (also a little dry) & cupcake with strawberry icing. Felt a bit sick afterwards :)
DYEL
xJimx

Postby chronyx » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:54 pm

Anyone want to do a meet up there? :D
chronyx

Next

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews