Two weeks to the Dublin City Marathon Oct 26th

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby Travelgal08 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:45 pm

Yes new log title :D And yes it's my first marathon. My target is probably just to finish really...I'm not a fast runner at all. But I'd love to do it in 4.15 but I really have no idea if that's possible for me.

I've been reading a lot of different training programmes the last few months and have decided to follow the "up to 55M programme" from Pfitzinger and Douglas's book: Advanced Marathoning. I think gms is using their more advanced programme. It's an 18 week programme and the marathon is 18 weeks from next week so perfect timing.
Travelgal08

Postby Travelgal08 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:51 pm

Friday 19th June
==========
10km road race. I had hoped to do this as a training run (a tempo run) and used my new heart rate monitor for the first time. I did a great time for me: 56.39, definitely a pb but I was so slow in comparision to all the runners there!!

Needless to say I didn't work the HRM properly but my heart rate average was 88% which is high, that much I can figure out. I tried to get it to record splits but it didn't work. I need to sit down and look at it properly, just haven't had time yet. I know my first mile was 8.30 which is way faster than I run which is why I took note and my second mile was about 9 mins. I also remember I did 4miles in about 36.00 which again is good for me, I usually average a 10 min mile but I did put the pressure on and it was a hard run for me. Legs felt great on the hills, really strong and I managed to overtake a couple of people. Very disheartened about my performance in comparision to everyone else but pleased with my own personal performance which is really what I should be measuring I guess. Running with other people certainly made me up my game a bit, I might take it a bit too easy when I'm running on my own, not sure but the HRM will help me figure that out. Anyway, I enjoyed it and it was good fun which is the main thing.
Travelgal08

Postby baldy » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:16 am

Travelgal08 wrote:Needless to say I didn't work the HRM properly but my heart rate average was 88% which is high, that much I can figure out.

I stand to be corrected but an average of 88% is probably about right for a race specially a 10km race, I would have expected up to about 90-93% average.

In training of course it is a different story and different sessions you would want to stay to different ranges. I find HR monitors and the theory behind them fascinating so will be keeping an eye on your log.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Travelgal08 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:09 pm

Thanks Baldy, that's good to know.

Yes the guide I'm using for training specifies different heart rate ranges for different training sessions. Starting properly tomorrow so will be logging away.
Travelgal08

Postby Travelgal08 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:12 pm

Saturday 20th June
==========
5M run very slow. Just taking it easy today.

Sunday 21st June
==========
Rest day.
Travelgal08

Postby Travelgal08 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:59 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJImhowVQqc

This is a movie someone made about the Clare Burren half marathon I did recently. Doesn't show the major hills but gives a bit of a sense of the scenery. It was a fab day, hope to go back again next year.
Travelgal08

Postby Travelgal08 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:56 am

Crap week training-wise. The fantastic sunny weather has not been good for my sinuses. Been feeling zonked most days, sleeping after work and took Tues off work I felt so foggy. Plus my HRM is cutting into my skin when running (I'm on meds for my skin for a few months which make my skin really thin and anything next to it seems to irritate it) so I've had to ditch it for the moment.

Ok, enough moaning :D

Monday 22nd
========
Training schedule: rest or cross training.
I rested.

Tues 23rd
========
Training schedule: Lactate threshold 8mi w/ 4mi @ 15k to half marathon pace.
I did 5M, 4 at half marathon pace. Ran out of juice. It was roasting hot and I just had no energy. Probably should have done nothing but wanted to get out.

Wednesday 24th
==========
I rested.

Thursday 25th
==========
Training schedule: 9M general aerobic.
I did this but had to pop home at 5M for water and felt exhausted after 6miles. I hadn't eaten enough before running which was stupid on my part and I had to take off the HRM midway due to it cutting into my skin. I was feeling pretty miserable as my shorts and bra straps were also causing friction burns (they don't usually, it's just the meds). But I finished.

Friday 26th
==========
I came home from work and slept.

Saturday 27th
==========
There was a bootcamp run this morning up a mountain which would have been brilliant but I was too knackered to get up. My schedule says 4M recovery so I'll do that.

Sunday 28th
==========
12M run recommended re. schedule so hope to do this.

I'm hoping next week will be better. I missed bootcamp Tuesday and Thursday and just feel off. Achill half-marathon is next Saturday so I won't be doing too much next week. [/b]
Travelgal08

Postby Konstantin » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:01 pm

Keep ticking over TG. I used to rest before events but find easy runs much better and would recommend them.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby emm7 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:05 pm

well done for the 10K :-) that's excellent!!

Really sorry to hear about the thin skin problem, it sounds very unpleasant and painful with it! How long do you have to be on the meds?

Sounds like you are getting a lot of good training done, a lot to be proud of!
"she was my better half and I was just a dog"
"I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink"
"No, the moon ain't romantic, it's intimidating as hell
And some guy's trying to sell me a watch"
-- Tom Waits Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
emm7

Postby Travelgal08 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:52 pm

Thanks Papaya, I agree with you, think some easy runs towards the end of next week will keep me ticking over til the half.

Thanks Emm, almost 2 months down and another 2 to go and then hopefully back to normal skin :D Could be worse, just annoying more than anything.
Travelgal08

Postby Travelgal08 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:25 pm

Stuck to the programme and did 4M Saturday and 12M Sunday. Plus some press ups and crunches as I haven't enough time for Bootcamp.

Monday 29th June
========
Rest day

Tuesday 30th June
========
7M

Wedesday 1st July
========
6M plus 8 x 100m strides (up a small hill)
upper body weights and some ab work at home
Full of energy this evening which makes a nice change from the last 10 days.

Thursday 2nd July
==========
Rest

Friday 3rd July
=========
5M just to warm up before the half marathon tomorrow. Didn't go so well. Was really hot, which seems to really affect me and I got a dodgy stomach at 28 mins and had to find a nearby toilet. Walked for 20 mins and jogged the last 7 or so mins home.

Saturday 4th July
=========
Half-marathon - only managed 2.8 miles and had to give up. Really bad stomach pains, impossible to run. Also exhausted from a long drive up the night before and a poor night's sleep in a hostel. All in all just a crappy day. Felt like shit walking back while everyone carried on with the race.

Sunday 5th July
=========
Stomach still didn't feel great so did nothing.

20 miles this week. Supposed to be 36. Disheartened to say the least.
Last edited by Travelgal08 on Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Travelgal08

Postby emm7 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:41 pm

well done sounds like the programme is going well!
"she was my better half and I was just a dog"
"I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink"
"No, the moon ain't romantic, it's intimidating as hell
And some guy's trying to sell me a watch"
-- Tom Waits Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
emm7

Postby Konstantin » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:34 am

I wouldn't worry about the bootcamp etc so much. I'm a big fan of cross training and always had a session once a week, like a pack of cards with press ups, abs, weights etc., but if you're looking at a marathon, main thing is mileage. But all is looking good and I'm really interested in how things are going to go.

Have you got enough muslce on the legs? I did a load of Hindus and my upper legs held out great for my marathon. I didn't do much on my calves and were aware I have little muscle there. They were my problem for several miles. Might be worth thinking about.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby Travelgal08 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:12 pm

emm7 wrote:well done sounds like the programme is going well!

Thanks Emm. It's been a bit of a slog at times but I figure if I keep at it it'll get easier. Tonight was a bit easier.
Travelgal08

Postby Travelgal08 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:16 pm

Papaya wrote:I wouldn't worry about the bootcamp etc so much. I'm a big fan of cross training and always had a session once a week, like a pack of cards with press ups, abs, weights etc., but if you're looking at a marathon, main thing is mileage. But all is looking good and I'm really interested in how things are going to go.

I know, mileage has to be my first priority really and I want to get that right but I'd like to do a few weights, body weight stuff too but up until today I've just been too tired. I really enjoyed the bootcamp but there just isn't enough time for everything. Got to remember my goal! I'll get into the swing of it soon I'm sure.
Travelgal08

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs