Vegetarians causing panic at the Daily Mail

Armchair politics, ethical soapbox and current affairs. Place to discuss vegan ethics and general ethics and politics. Be nice.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Vegetarians causing panic at the Daily Mail

Postby xJimx » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:49 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1192431/New-farming-minister-appointed-champion-ailing-livestock-industry-vegetarian.html

It seems the new farming minister & the senior minister he reports to are both veggies; at least neither of them are black or gay though.
DYEL
xJimx

Postby emm7 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:58 am

Excellent news about them being veggie. No wonder the DM is frothing at the mouth :lol:
"she was my better half and I was just a dog"
"I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink"
"No, the moon ain't romantic, it's intimidating as hell
And some guy's trying to sell me a watch"
-- Tom Waits Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
emm7

Postby Konstantin » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:16 am

Are they proper veggies (eg vegan) or consumers of animal produce? And is farming solely concerned with animal products anyway? What a load of hysteria.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby xJimx » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:26 am

Only vegetarians as far as I know so meh, although I believe there are 2 Labour MPs who are vegan: Alan Simpson & Kerry McCarthy.
DYEL
xJimx

Postby Gelert » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:30 am

Something similar happened several years ago with the Welsh Assembly.

The Agriculture Minister, Christine Gwyther was sacked (officially) for not delivering on a calf processing scheme, but this came after months of insinuation she couldn't do her job as a vegetarian. ISTR the sacking happened just before the first minister was due to attend the national agricultural show.
Gelert

Postby EceGled » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:22 am

What caught my attention is the rating option on each post. Look at the ratings.... all got tons of positive ratings, and one oddball got tons of negative ones.
To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana. -Buddha
my blog: culture, politics, and animals
EceGled

Postby xJimx » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:13 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1223247/Global-warming-Climate-chief-Lord-Stern-urges-Britons-vegetarian-save-planet.html

Cue comments such as:

......Thirdly, may I point out that for Christians, the Bible TELLS you to eat meat. Fourthly, God put cattle on the Earth for our food; if we don't eat cows or pigs, what is their purpose otherwise? And fifthly, the whole climate thing is a hoax...

No word yet on how this will affect house prices or immigration numbers from the Indian sub-continent.
DYEL
xJimx

Postby HanNZ » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:31 am

great article, my mum had already emailed me the link this morning.

Some peoples comments are so frustraiting. What is the purpose of cows? Well what is the purpose of wild animals? what is the purpose of humans? Such a crazy argument. Some people just really want to ignore the environmental cost of eating meat.
HanNZ

Postby Johnboy74 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:39 am

It's funny to see people's reaction to this, makes you realise that veggies (not to mention vegans) are still seen as strange minority of people :?
****** Vegan Atheist ******
Most atheists see themselves as realists - their atheism is a part of their willingness to square up to the world as it is and face it without recourse to superstition or comforting fictions about a life to come or a benevolent power looking after us.
Johnboy74

Postby xJimx » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:05 pm

Government minister suggests people at less meat to help tackle climate change: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1230781/Decade-soaring-temperatures-ahead-Health-Secretary-warns-real-present-danger-posed-climate-change.html

Cue the hysterical backlash, such as:

The fact is that we are not meant to eat lots of vegtables, they are hard to digest, have little nutrition. We are made out of meat, meat is the easiest for our bodies to use.
DYEL
xJimx

Return to Ethics, Politics and Current Affairs