What foods are always in your shopping cart/ fridge/ pantry?

Going vegan and new vegans in need of support or information.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: honey isnt vegan?!?

Postby the crazyest vegan » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:39 am

MrHollick wrote:
xbojanx wrote:Here honey is praised in enormous amounts
You can buy milk with honey, juices with honey, even Corn flakes are coated with honey...and I never liked honey...
:evil:

And as far as I remember, Marmite was extremely salty and strong taste...never tried other of that kind.

Although Im new to being a vegan I was under the impression the Honey isnt considered vegan?

hence the little :evil: after the list, he was expressing his dislike for honey and the fact that they put honey in a lot of things and label it vegetarian
the crazyest vegan

Postby J_Lobeck » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:49 pm

This is very helpful! Thankyou
J_Lobeck

Re: Basic foods that vegans should try and have in the kitch

Postby 2097 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:20 pm

Pasta can also be under protein. Gluten being protein.

Postby Twoism » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:28 pm

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm I just cooked and ate quinoa for the first time (finally in stock at my local H&B). Awesome stuff :D . It will replace the much cheaper cous cous in my diet, but it's worth the extra money.
Twoism

Postby powerlifer » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:59 pm

quiona is a really nice grain, richer in protein, has been shown to be a good prebiotics, an often not an allergen like the common grains.
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
http://www.amlaberry.co.uk
powerlifer

Postby John.Fitness » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:58 am

Vegans enjoy all kinds of foods, such as curries, pizza, casseroles, burritos, chocolate cake, lasagne, soups, risottos, spicy bean chilli, stir fries, falafel, cupcakes, samosas, bhajis, pies, sausage and mash, stews, paella, dhal, toad in the hole, pasta and pesto, quiche, pancakes, tagines, tortilla wraps, chocolate chip cookies, jacket potatoes, cannelloni, pad thai, noodle soup, stuffed pasta shells, spicy potato wedges, fruit crumble and custard, gnocchi, tagliatelle, salads, shortbread, spring rolls, panini, spaghetti bolognese, sushi, mezze… or...in other words plant-based ingredients and no ingredients derived from animals.
John.Fitness

Postby LvH » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:24 am

kale (makes great chips!)
broccoli
sweet potatoes
pumpkin seeds
raisins
LvH

Postby gabrielxxx » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:43 pm

Don't know if anyone said this, but TVP! TVP!

50/50 protein carb ratio, complete protein, that is. You can make it in 10 minutes, make "meat"balls, kibbeh, just stir fry, fried rice, curry, those fried asian noodles with it, it comes in all shapes and sizes, it is cheap as rice and it's also cheap as dirt and it's dirt cheap.
gabrielxxx

Postby 7bluewren » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:35 pm

my kitchen staples are

condiments = tamari, tahini, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, hummus (can be homemade but is convenient to buy), sometimes sweet chilli sauce (makes anything taste good, lived on it in my early vegan years)

fruit/veg = avocados (sliced is a great natural cheese replacement) bananas, oranges (for juicing) fresh dates (to use as sweetener. I don't buy agave, I make date paste.) greens (spinach, lettuces, etc to use in salads, smoothies, vegetable juices, etc) spring onions (salads), carrots (salads, juicing) pumpkin, broccoli, MUSHROOMS tomatos

protein - mostly dried beans, sometimes tofu. Just stock up on chickpeas, mung beans, borlotti beans, cannellini beans, lentils (brown and split red) and spilt peas. And QUINOA.

Nuts - mostly almonds. Brazil nuts are very high is selenium. Seeds - sesame, chia, pepitas, sunflower.

Spouts - they are their own food group. very neglected. eat em! easy to do yourself at home.

Grains - I always keep long grain brown rice in the cupboard, I generally don't eat a lot of grains as they make me feel very heavy and I don't think my tummy likes them, but I do enjoy quinoa and millet. I suggest trying out alternative grains to the normal rice and wheat, there are some beauties out there and it is much healthier to vary the grains we eat than just eat wheat all the time. I also keep some ryvitas (rye crackers) and some rice/corn cakes on hand. I also think that Polenta is a great grain for vegetarians (or anyone really, everyone likes it as long as its cooked properly)
7bluewren

Postby Konstantin » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:11 pm

Quinoa is amazing stuff. I pronounced it 'Kinowa' for years before I realised it was actually 'Keen-wah'. It didn't affect the taste though.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby kallefs » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:17 pm

Konstantin wrote:Quinoa is amazing stuff. I pronounced it 'Kinowa' for years before I realised it was actually 'Keen-wah'. It didn't affect the taste though.

I still call it kinowa :( But I really don't like it so it doesn't matter that much.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby soniczip » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:06 pm

kallefs wrote:
Konstantin wrote:Quinoa is amazing stuff. I pronounced it 'Kinowa' for years before I realised it was actually 'Keen-wah'. It didn't affect the taste though.

I still call it kinowa :( But I really don't like it so it doesn't matter that much.

ah! if i have the possibility to cook it for you in sa, you'll be keen on tasting some more and will wahoo of joy.
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby Promesas » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:20 am

Fruit staples: bananas,dates,figs,oranges,mangoes,watermelon,limes,apples,tomatoes,habanero chillie pepper

Vegetable staples:kale,bok choy,zuchini,brocooli,squash,cauliflower,romaine lettuce,celery,

Starch staples:POTATOES POTATOES POTATOES :) ,brown rice, quinoa, wholewheat bread, rice noodles, wholegrain pasta,corn, chickpeas,kidney beans, butter beans,oats

Other staples:TAHINI,avocado,frozen berries,tamari, hommus, chat masala spice powder,
"It's my humble assertion that the best way to lower your cholesterol is: stop eating it"
-Dr Michael Klaper
Promesas

Postby happy bunny » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:27 pm

Buckwheat is a good addition to the carb list - the whole grain and the flour. Also, don't forget walnuts, second only to flax for a good source of omega 3 (both, incidentally, way higher than the fish so commonly promoted by industry). walnut oil - lovely with fresh lemon juice over a salad!
So hum
happy bunny

Re:

Postby alanmaldonado » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:39 pm

xbojanx wrote:Here honey is praised in enormous amounts
You can buy milk with honey, juices with honey, even Corn flakes are coated with honey...and I never liked honey...
:evil:

And as far as I remember, Marmite was extremely salty and strong taste...never tried other of that kind.

I thought vegans NEVER ate honey. I am newbie vegan so I'm still learning.
alanmaldonado

PreviousNext

Return to New Vegan