Going to South East Asia!

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Going to South East Asia!

Postby barnz2k » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:45 am

Hey

Im flying to Malaysia in a few weeks for a few days, then into Bangkok to start backpacking around thailand, vietname, cambodia, Laos etc!

Anyone in/around those areas or will be? :)

Ill be noting some phrases in the various languages, and figure at worst ill live off awesome and cheap fruit for a couple months with the odd tofu and soymilk :)

I might get another box of those choc bars to take as emergency food too.

Any advice/tips for this area? What im currently looking into is

* DEET - Kinda toxic stuff, Ive used it before for Brazil. Eucalyptus oil might be a good alternative, but I dont want to risk it with leeches, maleria carrying mosquitos etc.
* Sunscreen - need this big time!
* Immunizations - have to check what Ive already had.. I dont like getting them unless absolutely necessary - like Yellow Fever was a legal requirement! I also dont want to take maleria tabs as they can make you really sick in themselves..
barnz2k

Postby barnz2k » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:23 am

Flying out tomorrow night for KL then on to BKK and wherever else!

Will be updating my blog as I go
www.barnz2k.com/blog

and photos to flickr etc /barnz2k

Got my Vegan Passport the other day so hopefully that helps a little. Else Im sure I can live off fruit, rice and tofu for quite a while :)

Might be a few months or so, so may not check on VF for a while!

Cya
barnz2k

Postby SandGroper » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:43 am

I backpacked around there back in the 90s. No tips or advice, just travel light and have fun. The mountains of northen Thailand were my favourite area.
SandGroper

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews