Asia Trip - India, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Asia Trip - India, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam

Postby GenTDuke » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:04 pm

Hi guys, long time no see. I got back from a five month trip in Asia 6 weeks ago. I visited India, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam. Vietnam is very easy on us Vegans; Thailand was a bit hard; Malaysia was fairly easy as everything is in Eng; Singapore was also easy, but India was the worst: I was eating gee for months and did not even know it, but I had the best tofu steak and scrambled tofu ever, in Pushkar, Rajisthan.

My travel blog is about 36K words :P

http://rupee3naans.wordpress.com

My most popular blog "The Beard Chronicles" documents the change I went though while travelling:

http://rupee3naans.wordpress.com/2008/1 ... hronicles/

I ended up loving India in the end, but it's still funny to read how pissed off I was though.

I had this bracelet made so there was no confusion, but the Hindi word for vegan means nothing, so I had to settle with sakahari, which means vegetarian:

A few snaps from the blog:
GenTDuke

Postby XkillerX » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:36 am

Tom Duke? Is that really you? No way! :shock:
Next time, I'll spend the money on drugs instead.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby JP » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:31 am

my reaction exactly :D

Good stuff mate, sounds like you have a great trip!
JP
Site Admin

Postby buzz » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:56 am

Fucking awesome moustache man, that even rivals the moustache-king Bronco's!!
buzz

Postby KaliBaby » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:04 pm

I'm insanely jealous of you! I look forward to reading your travel blog.
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby barnz2k » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:56 pm

Im about to head to South east asia myself! will be reading (or at least skimming, 36k?!) your blog!

Any particular tips?
Whats the hardest thing about Thailand, the sauces containing fish?

Can I ask what an average month was costing? Im guessing I can do a month in under £1000. How was 5months as a time frame? Im thinking ill go for at least 2, depending how I like it/money etc.
barnz2k

Postby GenTDuke » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:21 pm

I spent 5 months is Asia and it only cost me about 3.6k (all flight etc included). For 1000 a month, you can live like a maharajah. We lived like kings on our budget though. Thailand is not hard at all. Try India. I insist.

Tips:

Travel on your own! lol. My best friend of eight years turned into a monster from hell for half of my trip. I have not told him this. I don't do conflict. If I did I would have been home after 2 months.

When bartering, assume the price is actually 1/8th of what they are asking for.
GenTDuke

Postby Johnboy74 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:35 pm

That's fucking awesome GenTDuke! Cool pics! That braclet is dogsbollocks! Looks like you had an amazing time travelling! Very very Jealous!
Digging the sideburns and the shaven head! had something like that going on a few years ago :D

Post more pics? we'd all love to see them!
****** Vegan Atheist ******
Most atheists see themselves as realists - their atheism is a part of their willingness to square up to the world as it is and face it without recourse to superstition or comforting fictions about a life to come or a benevolent power looking after us.
Johnboy74

Postby barnz2k » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:44 pm

sweet. Yeh im going solo but hope to join up with some ppl over there for some trips.

oh, did you get any injections? take maleria tabs?

I had yellow fever, japanese encephilitis, and Hep A/B a few years ago (realised now they arent even vegan ingredients - was vege then though and had to get it by law!)
barnz2k

Postby GenTDuke » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:45 pm

I had nine injections, in the three weeks before the trip. My freinds mum is a nurse so she did it for me. I have an irrational fear of needles, thanks to a forced blood extraction when I was around 7 (which I have rivid memories of). So if she didn't do it, I would not of had them. They where for rabies and a few other things. Yes trust me, you need rabies shots. I was almost bitten by rabid dogs a few times.

I took doxycylin (malaria drug) for the entire trip. I had no ill effects at all.

GenTDuke

Postby kallefs » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:55 pm

GenTDuke wrote:

That is really classy!
kallefs

Postby Johnboy74 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:09 pm

Nice pics GenTDuke :D
****** Vegan Atheist ******
Most atheists see themselves as realists - their atheism is a part of their willingness to square up to the world as it is and face it without recourse to superstition or comforting fictions about a life to come or a benevolent power looking after us.
Johnboy74

Postby V VII Hero » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:17 am

awesome pictures Tom! sick facial hair!

you look so different, in an awesome way.

you are very fortunate to travel to all those places. I will have to try them out sometime. Im very interested in Thailand and India.

How do you get Indian food without Ghee in it?

Also how hard is it to get around if one only speaks English?
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby GenTDuke » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:53 pm

V VII Hero wrote:awesome pictures Tom! sick facial hair!

you look so different, in an awesome way.

you are very fortunate to travel to all those places. I will have to try them out sometime. Im very interested in Thailand and India.

Thanks man. I don't have my chops and beard anymore. I had to shave them off for work. Thailand is super easy to travel, and would be good for any noobie backpacker to start out.

How do you get Indian food without Ghee in it?

Don't eat the curry. "Yes my friend, no problem" will be the response if you ask for a non-dairy version, but that has never happened for me. I spoke to a lady who owned a health food shop, and even she could not imagine a way of cooking curry without ghee. She said that al my ethical concerns did not apply in India, as they are holy animals and treated as such. I am not sure if the dairy industry is any different to the rest of the world, but that made me feel a bit better.

Oh yeah. Paneer which is the local cheese, looks, tastes and is sold as tofu in restaurants allot.

Also how hard is it to get around if one only speaks English?

English is the national language of India. Everyone speaks it. Thailand can be a little hard in some places, but it's not an issue. I would recommend picking up some audio books, so you don't feel like an ignorant SOB though (like I did).

More Tips:

BLUE GOLD! handwash which is based on alcohol and dries in your hands. This is essential. When you decide not to wash your hand because it is cleaner, you know that the country your in has sanitation issues.
GenTDuke

Postby barnz2k » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:45 pm

shit i forgot about rabies. Seems you have to get 3 doses over a 4week period though, and even then that only extends your get-to-a-hospital-fast period by a day or so? i leave in a week.. hmm...
maybe i can get the other 2 in Bangkok if I want to get it done.

I was in wetland area in Brazil (dry season) and didnt take maleria tabs, but used DEET.
barnz2k

Next

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews