Yeah, supportive communities are cool. A friend of mine lives on a block where they all chat and get together on occasion..pool to share gardening tools, etc.. I think it happens when you take the time to go door-to-door and meet with everyone! Stunningly simple, but no one does it, myself included..i guess it's a little different when you rent the section of the house you're in, rather than being a home-owner.
For your comments:
- Protein: i'm pretty much a 'Chris Carmichaelian', he's Lance Armstrong's coach...i've read three of his books, and they're insanely informative. The thing with protein is that it's not a good energy source..and we only need 10-18% (at most!) protein to maintain and build muscle. Lance, for example, eats quite low amounts of protein, in this rance. Cyclists, and other endurance athletes want to focus on the food that gives them energy, and replensishes the energy in muscles, which is carbs. So i try to eat 60% or more carbs, and split the fat and protein.
- Soy milk: really? It's not as good as it was a few years ago, but it still beats everything but Vitasoy, imo. I've also eaten a lot of fresh soymilk, we had a maker in the house for the last year..it's nice warm, or in cereals.
- sugar added to maple syrup?!?!? That's one of the closest things to sacreligious i think i've ever heard!!!!!!! Do you mean table syrup...?!! As for the lard thing, only small farms use it, and that's constantly shrinking.
- smoothie digests alright...i know it's not fantastic, but if eaten 30mins before i get on the bike, i'm rockin'.
- i've looked at Nu-Greens, wanted more than just Spirulina tho...
- hmmm..i'm really big into sprouted grains dude. =) I've tried the bread at most of these places, and tho it's nice to have a slice every now and then, i much prefer Silver Hills. It is a little pricey, but i buy it when it's on sale, usually around $2.60 a loaf...not too bad, and worth it to me!
The OA rep for BC is Brett Boniface, who *appears* to be in Victoria.. (Not certain since i haven't heard back from him...maybe he's away for the holidaze..) I'm sure there's gotta be a few more vegan racers in Van tho!
I've been trying to start a vegan athletic 'club' here for the last few months too, but haven't gotten much response.