How the bat has fallen

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

How the bat has fallen

Postby Fruitbat » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:42 pm

2008 was a disgraceful year for The Bat and it doesnt look like 2009 will be any the better for me. I really miss my old power days but since entering the real world I just can't keep myself together enough to train.

Quick news update seeing as I have been away soooo long and I miss VF and all my VF friends so much :cry:

Over the holidays I was in a cold and filthy ex-sheep-shearing shed gutting it and then making it into an outdoor classroom - lots of pretty intense work both endurance and strength, and actually a fun way to spend the holidays but no other exericise. Since then I have moved 25min drive out of my little Wales town and I now live properly properly out in the middle of nowhere in a beautiful house. Problem is that I keep failing my driving tests so I am reliant on my boyfriend to get me to work and therefore the gym to do any sport other than running. I still have a million jobs: Gym instructor (I do personal training for women who want to do free weights and I love it :D:D:D:D:D ), lifeguard, climbing wall instructor, secretary, science tutor for undergrads, Operations manager , make-up artist, catering manager and junior instructor for CRT medical ... and I still try to have a personal life with my boyfriend, his little boy, a very fat cat our landlady has left in the house we are renting, and 6 chickens that my boyfriend saved from a battery egg farm and which I think are the sweetest little things I have ever seen - really love the chickens. I have properly abandoned my PhD now too.

Sportswise - the last few weeks I have launched myself into sport again - so I am running 2-4 times per week, swimming 2-4 times per week, doing powerlifting (ahem but the weights are so small its embarrassing - let's call it form work) 2-3 times per week, and a little bit of wall climbing during my classes. Of course I am always running around so much for my jobs (and chickens) that I am never exactly sedentary and unfit. I am really enjoying selling my lifestyle and image and getting personal training clients and doing free weights inductions

Not sure what my goals are at the moment. I am reallly really really badly missing the strength scene but not sure if I have the time and commitment to go back to it. I also miss my mad weekends camping and walking in Snowdonia mountains but never have the time between jobs to get up there. I need some goals in sport and in life as I feel like a bit of a failure at teh moment. No PhD, no driving licence, no real job aspirations and constantly getting walked over in work etc... Not sure how to get that confidence that was Fruitbat's signature characteristic back and I miss that bouncy smily happy (and slightly) side of me. I also miss the hardcoreness in my life too.
Last edited by Fruitbat on Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fruitbat

Postby Fruitbat » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:49 pm

Tuesday 17th march

Warm-up on new mountain bike simulation bikes - 2 races approx. 15min
Run 28 minutes

3x10x30kg bench press
4,3,3,3,3,2 body weight widegrip pullups
3x (5C+P 5Press)
3x10x20kg laying rows
2x5xBW dips (eeeeek that was hard)
50 situps
30 oblique crunches
20 dorsal raises

stretching

and tonight I will be going to an adult swimming class which i did a few weeks ago and really enjoyed because it really pushes me and as I am competitive I come out having had a really good workout.
Fruitbat

Postby Crash » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:08 pm

Welcome back Fruitbat! Regarding the driving license, are there any schools in your area or anyone that can teach you to drive (insurance rates are cheaper in the US if you went to a driving school).

Also, don't feel like a failure - you have figured out what you don't want to do, which is just as important as figuring out what you want to do. 8)
Demolisher of faces and my enemies beards (no matter where they are located) since 2002.

www.PCRM.org
Click here to help homeless animals.

All truth goes through 3 stages - 1st it's ridiculed. Then it's violently opposed. Finally it's accepted as self-evident.
Crash

Postby Gelert » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:32 pm

Yay!

The bat shall rise again!!!

Operations manager , make-up artist, catering manager and junior instructor for CRT medical

You forgot hypothermiac supervisor!

Are you working friday night?

If not, is it a workable idea to bugger off up Pumlumon way, do some night nav, mince around a bit then basha up somewhere and be on site to help Bob a job Bob with plugging up rat holes?

I suggest friday, I've been booked in to listen to the local scraping band do Rimsky-Korsakoff's Scheherazade on saturday.
Gelert

Postby JP » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:45 pm

We missed you too batsy :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby emm7 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:02 pm

good to have you back :D
"she was my better half and I was just a dog"
"I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink"
"No, the moon ain't romantic, it's intimidating as hell
And some guy's trying to sell me a watch"
-- Tom Waits Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
emm7

Postby Rochellita » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:04 pm

welcome back, I missed you!

I can empathise with the driving tests :( I'm sure you'll get there though.
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby helmut » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:11 pm

hey wow!! sounds like you have a really interesting and varied life, with a lot of skills to boot!! something to be proud of. i can relate to feeling a bit lost, i finished uni a few months ago and i dont really know what i am doing with myself, or what i should be doing! hang in there, i'm sure you'll work out where it is you want to go, or even if you dont, hope you have a lot of fun during the 'journey'!
*take me to the mediocrity dungeon*
helmut

Postby spike » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:37 pm

Good to see you back :)
spike

back

Postby JohnV » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:03 pm

Congratulations for getting back on the horse!
We'll look forward to your progress.
John V

an evolving primate
JohnV

Postby Jonathan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:04 pm

It's great to have you back Fruity! :D

It seems like you have settled down into life proper - can't beat a house in the country with a pile of pets! Several of our neighbours here have chickens too, and I agree - they are great!

Jonathan
Kathryn wrote:You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby fredrikw » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:15 pm

good to see you back Fruity.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Fruitbat » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:27 pm

hi guys - good to see my old friends still remember who i am. I can't wait for internet to come back to me at my new house so I can properly surf VF again.

Yesterday Swimfit class was really hard work - I was dying! I got put in the best swimmers' lane and we were doing interval training and it was hard hard work. Swam 66 lengths in total but it broke down like this:

Warm-up 200m (8lengths) crawl
200m back stroke
50m backstroke kick

14x 100m (4lengths)
Sets 1-4 Medium pace crawl
Sets 4-8 Sprint on last length
Sets 9-12 Easy for first two and faster for last 2
Sets 13-14 Increasing intensity each length.

Cool-down 50m sculling

Today I had my first PT with my second female free weights client and it was good :D

Then i went for a 25min run (was hard hard work)

Then I did: 50 press-ups, 50 sit-ups, 30 oblique crunches, 1min plank
LOTS of stretching.
Fruitbat

Postby Fruitbat » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:29 pm

.flux wrote:welcome back, I missed you!

I can empathise with the driving tests :( I'm sure you'll get there though.

How's your driving going??

I want to come and visit you guys sometime in the next few months... maybe we can go to the climbing wall and maybe I could go with JP to velodrome if he fancies it?
Fruitbat

Postby Fruitbat » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:30 pm

Gelert wrote:Yay!

The bat shall rise again!!!

Operations manager , make-up artist, catering manager and junior instructor for CRT medical

You forgot hypothermiac supervisor!

Are you working friday night?

If not, is it a workable idea to bugger off up Pumlumon way, do some night nav, mince around a bit then basha up somewhere and be on site to help Bob a job Bob with plugging up rat holes?

I suggest friday, I've been booked in to listen to the local scraping band do Rimsky-Korsakoff's Scheherazade on saturday.

Oh yeah I forgot supervising hypothermia as a job title :oops: :lol: but hey at least I have been "victim" myself once so you can't say I am a sadist!!!!

I finish work at 7pm friday... I will get in touch :D
Fruitbat

Next

Return to Training Logs