Training glutes/hamstrings

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Training glutes/hamstrings

Postby valkyrie_blue » Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:37 am

Hey there, everyone! I'm a new member to this site. Nice to see there's another Milwaukeean here, too. I've been vegan about 1 1/2 years, and I've been bodybuilding/weight training for 2+ years.

In the last year, I've slimmed down considerably from 125 lbs. to 110 lbs.(I'm 5'6") and maintain a low bodyfat. I've never been measured with calipers, but the Tanita bodyfat scale puts me at about 10%. Previously, I was probably in the 13-14% range.

Hopefully this is not "too much information", but my "problem area" is my rear end/glutes. It's where I carry most of my fat. Since I've cut down my bodyfat, I've got some "poochiness" of skin/fat/??? on my rear. Is there any way to firm this up? I've tried the standard glute exercises, but to no avail. I'd like to someday train for a competition, but if I'm stuck with a bad back view, I'm not sure I'll ever be in good enough shape.

Thanks in advance,
Angie
valkyrie_blue

Postby JP » Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:49 am

Hello Valkyrie and welcome to the board!

I'm afraid you can't target fat loss - no matter where it is it still boils down to the same old diet and cardio.

You could try to bring out the muscles in the target area though - what is your training routine like for lower body at the moment?
JP
Site Admin

Postby valkyrie_blue » Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:41 pm

Currently, I'm doing a periodization routine. For lower body Wk. 1, I do 3 sets of 10-12 reps of calf raises, squats, and deadlifts. Typically, at Wk. 1, I use about 15 lb. free weights. Additionally, I do exercises to firm up the glutes & hamstrings area, i.e. leg lifts, particularly the type that target the area between the buttocks and the thigh. Typically, I do about 50 reps of about 2-3 exercises.

Then at Wk. 2, I raise my weight 10%, and lower the reps. to 6-8. Wk. 3 I raise the weights 10% more and lower the reps. to 4-5. Wk. 4 is recovery, where I go back to the original weight, but do 13-15 reps and only 1 set. I also try to fit in 20 minutes of walking each day after I workout with weights, as I feel it helps me prevent soreness and stiffness.

Between weight workout days, I do about 50 minutes of cardio. I take one day off of the gym per week.

Thanks in advance,
Angie
valkyrie_blue

Postby JP » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:08 am

hmmm... i'm not expert on such periodization routines. They are too complicated for my wee brain...

So you do stiff legged deadlifts? I find them to be the best exercise for hams, and really good for lower back too. Also, if you have someone show you the correct form, Good Mornings are wicked ham and hip exercise especially when you take a wide stance and focus on hip thrust more than hyperextending your back.

I gues lunges target glutes, never really done them. I get plenty of glute work from squatting with wide stance and going deep.

Maybe someone else can assist better in this?
JP
Site Admin

Postby Malcolms Billy » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:21 am

Just found at least some of the answer to my periodization question, thanks Angie! :) How long have you been doing this, i.e. how many cycles? How many times a week do you train? You said that you focus on lower body work, but does that mean you work your whole (lower) body every session, or do you divide it up into, say, lower body one day, back the next etc?
I'm trying to get to grips with this type of training, as I've got to kind of 'ease' myself back into working out. I've had an eye infection, and funnily enough, lifting heavy weights affects it, as blood rushes to the head, which is what makes it worse. Starting again with lighter weights is less frustrating when it is a thought out programme rather than feeling like you're 'back to square one', so that's why i want to devise a periodization routine.

Thanks,
Billy
Malcolms Billy

Postby valkyrie_blue » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:50 pm

I have been doing this particular routine since the beginning of summer, but I'm ignorant of how many cycles it's been. I get bored very easily, and so I like the variation. I am trying to maintain a very lean physique, and I like a lot of definition in my muscles. I think that this routine has really helped me with that aspect of training, though I have a very wimpy upper body as far as size goes(lots of definition, just not mass).

I train my whole body 3x a week. The longest workout, Wk. 1, takes probably about 45 minutes or so, including minute rests between sets. I use one exercise per body part. Wk. 2 and 3 take about 30 minutes each, and I try to rest a little longer. Wk. 4 is a breeze, maybe 20 minutes of work. It happened that Wk. 4 fell around Thanksgiving and Christmas, so I had a break around the holidays! I do 50 minutes of cardio every other day, between the weight workouts. The original routine had you break the cardio down, too, but I found it to be too much of a pain, plus, for me, more cardio is better.

I used to do a "by the book" Body for Life weightlifting routine that included pyramiding my weights and supersets, and I feel that this routine has helped me achieve my goals even better and takes less time. I got my current routine out of a women's fitness magazine :oops: *cough* ~~ how embarassing, eh? I'm not looking to get "huge", anyway, just be lean and mean!

I just got some amateur photos taken, and I've got plans to take more in about a month to see if I can improve! Wish me luck ~~ good luck to you, too!

Angie
valkyrie_blue

Postby Malcolms Billy » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:17 pm

[quote="valkyrie_blue"]

I used to do a "by the book" Body for Life weightlifting routine that included pyramiding my weights and supersets, and I feel that this routine has helped me achieve my goals even better and takes less time. I got my current routine out of a women's fitness magazine :oops: *cough* ~~ how embarassing, eh? I'm not looking to get "huge", anyway, just be lean and mean!

Not at all, if it works! Actually I was going to ask you which magazine, but then, it would save me a lot of searching - and I bet I can't even get the mag here! - if you wouldn't mind posting your workout? Please? :)

[quote="valkyrie_blue"]I just got some amateur photos taken, and I've got plans to take more in about a month to see if I can improve! Wish me luck ~~ good luck to you, too!

Good luck to you! :) Are you going to put them up on Pete's WIP site? I'm not half as brave, I hate getting my picture taken, no matter what the reason!

See ya,
Billy
Malcolms Billy

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights