Worcester. Vegan Cafe

Travel and location information for vegans, restaurant, hotel, B&B etc reviews. If you want to meet people from some area, post here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Worcester. Vegan Cafe

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:41 pm

Just a mention for this place, in New Street, Worcester.

http://www.smilevegan.co.uk/index.php?p=home

Its only tiny, but its totally vegan, friendly, cheap...and deserves our support ! So if you are in Worcester, drop in and have a juice ! Or some vegan cake ! :lol:
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby alit » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:20 pm

Im afraid to say Smile Worcesters only all vegan owned and run cafe has closed down :( such a shame it was great there.

Karmic Cafe which is upstairs in the Shambles market hall is an all vegetarian run and vege food cafe - they keep adding vegan options and within a week of opening they had added a vegan menu when asked.

Vegan cakes too - well worth supporting - cheapest soya lattes in town too and they are keen to have more vegan food on the menu, very friendly staff there and low prices plus lots of fair trade items.

If in Worcester there are 2 omi places that serve vegan food - Chesters Mexican (fab food there) and Puchinnis Italian in Friar Street does pizza with vegan cheese on.

Oh and Charlies cafe in Sidbury has lots of vegan options but it is a more fried food place
alit

Postby Man On Bike. » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:04 pm

I wish I knew about the place before it closed :(
Man On Bike.

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:45 pm

Oh no.....

Thats sad ! I was in there recently....it was great !

Yes, the Karmic Cafe is good too. I was going to mention it !

I know the owners. The staff are very good, and the food is excellent. He tells me that vegans are putting him to shame. There are more vegans than vegetarians coming in ! They now do vegan mayo, after I brought a jar in, and insist they use it ! :lol: I go in every saturday !

I like Chesters....but sometimes they run out of tofu ! Their butternut squash risotto is amazing.

Agree about Charlies......its a bit fried really, but they still recognise veganism, so that has to be goo.

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby alit » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:50 am

Agree totally about Karmic - the owners and staff are so nice - foods good too and Worcesters seems to have more vegan friendly places to eat than Brum at the mo!

I must book a table at Chesters or Karmic for Sat when Im going as Its the xmas fayre and always packed. I must try the risotto at Chesters.

Charlies has had vegan options for years so yes thats really good - their vegan choc cake is great :D
alit

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:25 pm

You have to book a week or more ahead at Chesters, for a friday or saturday night. They are pretty busy. Which is a good sign. And much better now that non-smokers aren't confined to the cellars. The Risotto is amazing !

Yes, Worcester is great for vegans at the moment. I hope it continues. Unlike Hereford, which is very poor.

JohnBarleycorn

Postby alit » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:18 am

Just to let you know Holly is opening Smile this weekend for a final time just for the Christmas fayre for soup/juice and cakes.

I shall brave the crowds and pop in Sat!

The fayre is on Thu eve, Friday, Sat and Sun :D
alit

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:22 pm

Awwww !

I was in Madrid this weekend. Only got back yesterday. Wish I could have known. Its so sad it didn't work out for her.

How was it ?

JohnBarleycorn

Postby alit » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:51 am

I was not very well so did not stop in Worcester long but when I went to go it was closed, windows all steamed up but the door was shut?

I know Holly really enjoyed running Smile whilst It was open, and has plans for another project (very eco/vegan) but not a cafe.

Such a shame Worcesters only vegan cafe did not last.

Karmic cafe above the Shambles market is all veggie run/food with many vegan options and Is doing really well - I tend to go there in Worcs now unless Chesters calls me :lol:
alit

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:22 am

Yes, I use Karmic Cafe on a saturday, when I go shopping in the big city !

They seem to be thriving. Sometimes, its hard to get a table. And apparently, there are more vegans than vegetarians !

JohnBarleycorn

Postby seitan » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:49 pm

JohnBarleycorn wrote:And apparently, there are more vegans than vegetarians !

thats a good sign!!
seitan

Postby alit » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:00 pm

Yes great to read that :D

Its fab to see how busy it is in there, I liked the fact that within their first week they had listened to customers and despite being stressed and busy got a vegan menu up and running and asked local vegans for cake recipes - they are so keen to make more and more vegan options there, such nice people there :D

Other stall holders kept at first asking for their bacon butties they use to get before Karmic took over but they are now ordering the veggie sausage sarnies and have stopped asking for meat.

They are onto a winner at Karmic with good food and good prices, fair trade products, and friendly staff.
alit

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:16 pm

Agreed !

They seem to have got it right. So I hope it works out for them !

I went in earlier. Had a vegan Shepherds Pie with salad. Very good indeed. No complaints. Everything on the menu is good.

We'll have to have a vegan fitness get-together there, sometime !

JohnBarleycorn

Postby alit » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:55 pm

A vegan fitness meet up at Karmic sounds good - count me in if Its a Sat :D

They have a website now:

http://www.thekarmiccafe.co.uk/index.htm
alit

The Karmic Cafe

Postby thekarmiccafe » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:36 pm

Thank you all for your support. We are constantly improving and welcome any feedback or suggestions anyone may have.
thekarmiccafe

Next

Return to Travel, Locations and Reviews