Should periodisations plans overlap ?

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Should periodisations plans overlap ?

Postby Big Good Wolf » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:44 pm

I'm thinking about trying this periodisation plan from stumptuous.
First of all, is it a good one ? It looks pretty simple to understand, put some weights in the first page and it does the rest for you.

The thing is, if I want to use it to increase squat, dead, press and bench, is it a good idea to start them all on the same day so I reach my new 1rm for each all on the same day in 12 weeks time ?
Would it be better to stagger the start dates, either by a week or evenly spaced by three weeks ?
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
Big Good Wolf

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby buzz » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:57 am

I can't really figure out that spreadsheet, but 12 week linnear plan should be solid. The jackals gym one from the site is good also, i've done it a few times. You wouldn't start all the lifts on the same day, but to start on the same week is fine. I'm guessing you'd just be dedicating one day to each of the big three, so means you peak at the same time, and max out on all three in the one week, but not on the same day generally.
buzz

Postby Big Good Wolf » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:33 am

Thanks Buzz.
Starting them all the same week, but staggered over three days it is then.
Once I've got over this latest bout of Man Flu I'll give it a go.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
Big Good Wolf

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby JP » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:57 pm

on the general issue of peaking around the same time, i did have this conversation with some peeps ages ago and strength peaks in general to all lifts, not in particular to a single lift at the time - though of course there are situations where some lifts simply are doing better than others.

Some routines, like some crazy russian squatting routines, are based on the idea that you have your main lift, squat, building your overall strength, and you just keep the technique work going with other lifts, until at a comp time you ramp them up as well and hit new heights with all.
JP
Site Admin

Postby Big Good Wolf » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:36 am

OK, thanks again.
As soon as I've worked out my starting weights and what assistance lifts to do, I'll start a proper periodasition plan.
Angry Middle Aged Man
Big Good Wolf

Postby Big Good Wolf » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:15 am

I've been reading through the training logs and the various "Suggest a routine for me" threads and I think my next step is to learn some of the assistance lifts.
I have never done shrugs, calf raises, lunges, incline or decline press, skull crushers. Time to learn.
Angry Middle Aged Man
Big Good Wolf

Postby buzz » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:39 am

Big Good Wolf wrote:I've been reading through the training logs and the various "Suggest a routine for me" threads and I think my next step is to learn some of the assistance lifts.
I have never done shrugs, calf raises, lunges, incline or decline press, skull crushers. Time to learn.

Was this the logs on VBB? :)

Don't over smplicate things man, your simplistic way of training is much better than over emphasising assistance bullshit. Throw in a couple if you like, but overall progress and gains will be had from the fundamental compound lifts.
buzz

Postby Big Good Wolf » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:49 am

At the moment I do everything every day.
If I'm going to go for some sort of split routine, say squats on Tuesday, Bench on Friday and overhead on Sunday, then what am I going to do for the rest of Tuesdays session if I'm giving the benching or pushpressing a rest ?
Anything except bicep curls. :?
Angry Middle Aged Man
Big Good Wolf

Postby buzz » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:30 pm

Could do something like;

Bench, front squats, strict press

Power cleans, squats, rows

Push press, deadlifts, abs/core

Like I say, throw in a couple of disco exercises if you like though. It'd be ok to bench and squat twice a week I think, as long as one of the sessions is the 'main focus' session, and the other is treated as a supplementary session, like speed/paused/lighter/variation etc
buzz

Postby The Duke » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:44 am

It's worth considering overload exercises instead of assistance exercises.

Bench lockouts off the pins.
Squat lockouts.
Rack walkouts.
Rack pulls.

Becasue of the limited ROM you can really push the weights up.

for me the numbers look like this ...

Bench LOs @ 120 % Bench 1rm
Squat LOs @ 200+ % Squat 1 rm
Rack walkouts @ 180% Squat 1 rm
Rack Pulls @ 150% DL 1rm

That has got to be better than curls and lateral raises for increasing strength ye :D s?
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby Big Good Wolf » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:41 pm

Lock outs sound good. Never tried them.
I'm sure I've got a mental block with heavy weights and just getting the feel of them with a limited ROM s hould help with that.

Unrack 100kg. Thinks; This is heavy, I'm not going to do many reps.
Unrack 120kg. Thinks; Holy shit, I'm gonna die.

Bench lock outs sound potentially fatal with just the bench catches.
I've often wondered why there's sometimes a bench abandoned in the squat rack when I come to use it. Now I know.

Nice simple list Buzz. I'm working on a plan based on that.
Angry Middle Aged Man
Big Good Wolf

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights