want to lose fat fast but ....

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby andrew85 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:23 pm

Those are some very good points aliquis. I mentioned the sodium and carb levels as well as the protein because too much sodium will make you retain water and could cause hypertension and high blood pressure, and its good to have a high percentage of calories from carbs to get energy for your workouts.

Secondly, I have regular body fat percentage check-ups and take all my measurements every week. Some of my measurements actually go up (like biceps, forearms, chest), and my body fat percentage goes down. At the beginning of this year my lean body mass was 150 lbs, and now its up to 160 lbs, and i'm 5' 9.5".

I'm just getting back into working out regularly and watching my nutrition again over the past month, but last time I was following this diet and exercise I went from 230 to 175 in 3 1/2 months, and my bicep measurements were higher than when i started , and my chest measurements were just a bit lower because i was carrying a lot of fat in my chest area.

I apologize for making it sound so exact, because my carbs/protein/fat balance don't match that exactly, but it is a rough estimate. also, israel did name the thread 'want to lose fat fast', and I don't think it is unhealthy or bad to lose weight quickly, either. as long as you are doing it the right way, and you always have lots of energy. Have you ever seen The Biggest Loser? sometimes the guys lose 100 lbs in 3 months.
andrew85

Postby aliquis » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:04 pm

If you have 100 lbs to lose you're probably not that fit to begin with and it's better to get rid of all that fat than trying to preserve an additional 2 kg of muscle ..

Anyway 5 kg more muscle in less then a year and bigger arms after losing lots of weight suggest that you're indeed doing something correct =P
aliquis

Postby israel » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:10 pm

my weight is only 70kg and i use to weigh 100kg -

i lost 30kg in one year - and sence then 2 years that my weight is stok on 70kg

im ok with it - but i really allways really wanted to have a flat stomch - see abs without having the belly i have and im stok now even if i train and in the recent month got fatter cause of my intensive eating which i guess was something like 5000calroies a day or more ...
israel

Postby andrew85 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:46 pm

sounds like you're in pretty good shape, already. it is hard to have defined abs, because men typically store their fat in their stomach and back. i hear most men need their body fat percentage below 8% to have well-defined abs.
if you are taller than 5'5", or 165cm, you don't need to lose any weight, just fat. if you are maintaining your body weight now, you're probably eating the right amount of calories. make sure you are getting lots of carbs and protein and try doing some more cardio.
andrew85

Postby puppydog » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:48 pm

israel wrote:eating which i guess was something like 5000calroies a day or more ...

in the power lifting forum this is referred to as "mid morning snack"
i was considring doing a less intense v-diet in the new year. 28 days of power shakes alone would suck, but i think if you add green vegetables with low calories you can probably hack it.

it's extreme and probably unhealthy but if it works as advertised maybe worth it.
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Postby israel » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:57 pm

it is all so very confusing -

i really wouldnt mind not eating at all if i would know that it will loss fat in the long term - but it wont - not in the long run -

i wouldnt mind ganing more weight if it was muscle weight but i really want to be leaner
israel

Postby emm7 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:00 pm

israel wrote:my weight is only 70kg and i use to weigh 100kg -

im ok with it - but i really allways really wanted to have a flat stomch - see abs without having the belly i have and im stok now even if i train and in the recent month got fatter cause of my intensive eating which i guess was something like 5000calroies a day or more ...

are you being too harsh on yourself?
why do you want the flat stomach so badly? what do you think it will achieve for you?
"she was my better half and I was just a dog"
"I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink"
"No, the moon ain't romantic, it's intimidating as hell
And some guy's trying to sell me a watch"
-- Tom Waits Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
emm7

Postby xzebrasx » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:06 pm

If you lose more than 2 pounds a week - most likely you're losing muscle along with the fat, which is not good at all. If you want to lose fat and keep as much muscle as possible - you'll have to make it slow.

My approach is:

Eat 15-20% less than what you need to sustain your current weight at your current activity level. Eat 5-6 smaller meals a day. More at breakfast (meal 1), less during meals 2-5 and least on meal 6. Every meal should contain protein, some starchy/fibrous carbohydrate (not too much) and a little bit of good fat. Don't eat anything for 2-3 hours prior to going to sleep.

Keep weight training the same and add 3-4 20-60 minute cardio sessions a week (preferably - light cardio).

That's the main thing. Nothing magical, but if you'll stick to that, you will surely see great results over time. If the rate of fat loss slows down, there are various things you can change to break through the plateau.
xzebrasx

Postby ninearms » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:13 pm

emm7 wrote:

are you being too harsh on yourself?
why do you want the flat stomach so badly? what do you think it will achieve for you?

A flat stomach?
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby israel » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:26 pm

deleated
Last edited by israel on Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
israel

Postby israel » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:32 pm

ok ......... ok ................ im doing a buzz

not cause i broke my will - i did lose 30 kg in a year -

its just that the zebra sounds logical -

if i will get a new working camera i will post pictures - but it will be in a month+ time .

emm7 your probobly right were your going .....but still :wink:

and the 5000+ calories its probobly more - its just the cakes and things i call fat :!: not including stuff like a liter of soy milk every morning with allways refilling the bull with ceral and humus sandwiches ect....
israel

Postby ninearms » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:37 pm

Here's an easy approach.

1) Work out your calorie requirements, including exercise. 80% of that figure will be your average daily intake.

2) Make ONE meal that meets your entire calorie needs. Make sure it has plenty of protein, some good fats, and lots of vegetables. Try not to make it too starchy.

3) Eat that meal during the course of the day. How you break that up is up to you. 3 meals, 6 meals, whatever you like.

4) Don't eat anything else. If you're hungry, eat some of the meal you made. Don't eat crap, and don't drink crap.

That's it.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby aliquis » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:52 pm

70 kg seems quite low, can you see any abs if you contract them? I look flat if I don't to =P, but I won't lose more weight, would rather gain 15 kg :D
aliquis

Postby aliquis » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:55 pm

Seriously, take one photo, not un-flexed, try to flex as good as you can, I doubt it's so bad as you make it sound, and you shouldn't do it fast at that low weight. Just stop eating as much if you think you ate way to much and keep on training instead. Use a shirt :D

Shoot for Beach 2015 ;D .. or 2020... or 2025.. or .. ;D
aliquis

Previous

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights