Randy Couture vs Brock Lesnar - UFC91

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Which one are you rooting for?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:40 am

Randy Couture
80%
Brock Lesnar
20%

Total votes : 10

Postby JP » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:26 pm

ah, so much analysis and then it just came for a lucky shot and randy getting caught :D gutted, because it looked like he was in control enough to slowly start picking lesnar apart. Lesnars gameplan was just to do what steam engines do and push forward - blah! Holding a belt after 4 fights in the UFC, a fucking travesty and a testament of how infantile the depth of talent in the "sport".

But never mind!

The other fights were much more interesting anyway. one of my favs Demian Maia was dominating as ever. Its crazy that he could basically just have another fight next week - compare to for instance those crazy slugfests where the guys will be aching for months :D Maia hardly broke a sweak - so beatiful and graceful when he is moving about on the floor, just amazing to watch i think.

Florian and stevenson was another gem IMO. Florian looks so weak but very technical and smart.

On a personal note that was the first UFC i have seen legally and in real time :D Always just seen downloaded versions later on. It was good fun to watch it together with bunch of other guys, even if it meant that i got to bed at 6.30 am (for an old dog like me, thats just crazy...)
JP
Site Admin

Postby SpugFab » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:37 pm

JP wrote:a lucky shot and randy getting caught

Landing the ol' 1-2 is never a lucky shot.
SpugFab

Postby Marty » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:59 pm

I dont think it was a "lucky" shot either, if someone of Brocks power hits clean I think he can knock anyone out. Poor Randy tho :( I was very sad after the fight, badly wanted him to win, he looked like a midget when they squared off too D: (tho pre fight I was scared for randys wellbeing)

Rooting for Big Nog now!
Marty

Postby JP » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:01 am

i have to define what i mean by lucky, assumed too much there.

Basically in lower weight classes you get a better display of skills because normally fighters can eat more direct punches and a fight doesnt come to a sudden end. Heavier guys punch so hard that you can have a fight like lesnar vs couture which is still finding its feet, randy doing ok, but one punch end it midflight.

I call it lucky, but then again that was all lesnar was really doing. Throwing these massive blows which would end the game if they landed good, and by luck this one did.

of course you can claim that they are deliberate, accurate, 1-2s, but thats just another name for the same strategy.

Does it show i dont like lesnar? :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby The Duke » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:39 am

I've just watched that knockout about 20 times.

Don't get it. They were not big shots.

The left was bugger all and it looked like it was covered anyway.

And that right? Didn't look much did it?

But if it's on the button, then it'll knock you out, right?

You can't complain about results like this though. It's a fight. someone wins and someone loses.

Been a few years since I watched an MMA fight and was surprised that they had rounds and didn't just fight to the finish. When did that start?
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby SpugFab » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:45 am

The Duke wrote:Been a few years since I watched an MMA fight and was surprised that they had rounds and didn't just fight to the finish. When did that start?

Welcome to the new millenium Duke :D
SpugFab

Postby The Duke » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:55 am

spug_myers wrote:
The Duke wrote:Been a few years since I watched an MMA fight and was surprised that they had rounds and didn't just fight to the finish. When did that start?

Welcome to the new millenium Duke :D

aHA! been that long as it?
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby puppydog » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:58 pm

i dont think it was a lucky punch so much as it just shows how monstrous lesnar is. randy slipped it, but lesnar's hands are so gigantic that he pretty much clobbers your whole head if he hits you.

lesnar did look like he was getting a bit tired after the first but hard to tell really. not a surprising result in the end.

was definitely going ape-shit when randy almost got his back in the first round and when he caught him with a decent punch, a left hook i think.

Gonzaga looked good, Florian looked great, dustin hazelett won points just for that beard alone.
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Postby Marty » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:37 pm

Sorry this made me lol :3
wasnt it like 10 yrs ago, I think when welterweight was still called lightweight, and light heavy was middleweight

Anyway I watched fight again, I think Lesnar will beat both nog and mir. He wont be so foolish as to go to the ground and with his rapidly improving standup and extreme power I see him Koing them both. Only guys who can stop him is someone like Gonzaga, valasquez or Dos Santos, also huge guys with awesome power.
Marty

Postby The Duke » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:01 pm

Marty wrote:
Sorry this made me lol :3
wasnt it like 10 yrs ago, I think when welterweight was still called lightweight, and light heavy was middleweight.

Bit longer than that actually!! 92 or 93 I think?

There were no weight categories at all, just blokes fighting.

No gloves and just a couple of vague rules about biting and eye jabbing.

Fishhooking and headbutting were allowed then too.

Happy days.

I vowed never to watch again after the Taktarov / Ruas fight was stopped after 30 minutes (30?) and the decision given to Taktarov. That would be about 1995 and I thought that fight (with Ruas refusing to go to the ground, and not blasting Taktarovs legs) represented a turning point for UFC.
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby puppydog » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:13 pm

The Duke wrote:No gloves and just a couple of vague rules about biting and eye jabbing.

Very vague!
I think it was that those techniques were "discouraged" and you'd have to pay the other guy like $800 if you poked his eye out or something.

One of the fouls now is: Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of the period of unarmed combat. (bolded part mine)

I think it's pretty clear: the future of UFC will be a period of unarmed combat followed by a period of armed combat.
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Postby Marty » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:33 pm

Ive gotta be honest early UFC repulsed me, with groin strikes and what not. But now Im a huge fan lol
Marty

Postby Technotiger » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:39 pm

If there would be weight limits in heavy weights and drug tests, this kind of "Lesnar things" couldn't happen.

I'm not saying Randy is necessarily clean, but he'd have coped much better tested than Lesnar who doesn't even look like a human anymore.

But there have been really good fights as well, for example these really good grapplers coming in, who can fight stand-up as well (Demian Maia).
Technotiger

Previous

Return to Martial Arts