Hows your hook grip

Home of strength: powerlifting, olympic lifting, grip strength, strongman, odd object lifting, explosive power...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Hows your hook grip

Postby JP » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:57 am

My hook grip has always been poor - and PAINFUL! :D

now when coming back in couple months time i am planning to start doing all lifting with the hook grip.

Trying it on one arm deads already and its quite painful :D Especially if i get it more on the thumbnail.

Any tips, or should i just HTFU?
JP
Site Admin

Postby bronco » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:06 am

Maybe try taping your thumbs. I find it very helpful for snatch grip, but not so much for clean grip depedning of the angle of the hand.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby buzz » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:15 am

HTFU and Get It Done!

I wouldn't use it for high(er) rep stuff, but generally I just pull DO and when I can't do that, reps are sufficiently low to be able to use hook.
buzz

Postby ninearms » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:00 am

1) Tape your thumb. Not only will it take a bit of the sting out of it, but it'll give you extra friction and stop you from having to rechalk every set.
2) Make sure your fingers are not pressing on the thumb, but pulling on the side of it.
3) Grab the bar as though you're using a normal grip and make sure you're not pinching the skin on the palm of your hand. Now remove your thumb and first 2 fingers from the bar and push the bar deep into the web between the thumb and forefinger. Get as much thumb around the bar as you can, then hook your first 2 fingers around the thumb, not on top of it. Most of the pressure will be from the middle finger as it's the longest. If you're pinching the skin on the palm of your hand re-adjust.
4) Tape your little finger below the first knuckle. This is the finger most prone to slipping, so taping it will reduce the chances of tearing a callous.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby Jonathan » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:12 pm

Harden the fuck up. First time I ever tried hook grip I pulled a deadlift pb of 252.5kg. Thumbs hurt for a few days after, but what the hell - I wasn't playing piano then.

I avoid hook grip now as it is inhibitive to piano playing.

Jonathan
Kathryn wrote:You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby SpugFab » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:22 pm

Jonathan wrote:First time I ever tried hook grip I pulled a deadlift pb of 252.5kg.

Yeah I like to play around with different grips on lighter weights too.

But when it gets heavy, you need to go to a grip you can trust.
SpugFab

Postby JP » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:40 am

ninearms wrote:1) Tape your thumb. Not only will it take a bit of the sting out of it, but it'll give you extra friction and stop you from having to rechalk every set.
2) Make sure your fingers are not pressing on the thumb, but pulling on the side of it.
3) Grab the bar as though you're using a normal grip and make sure you're not pinching the skin on the palm of your hand. Now remove your thumb and first 2 fingers from the bar and push the bar deep into the web between the thumb and forefinger. Get as much thumb around the bar as you can, then hook your first 2 fingers around the thumb, not on top of it. Most of the pressure will be from the middle finger as it's the longest. If you're pinching the skin on the palm of your hand re-adjust.
4) Tape your little finger below the first knuckle. This is the finger most prone to slipping, so taping it will reduce the chances of tearing a callous.

good tips niney - where do you get your tape from?
JP
Site Admin

Postby ninearms » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:36 am

I bought a load in the US, but I've bought it from JJB before. 1.5" tape so you can tear it down the middle.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby Kryptonite V » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:14 pm

spug_myers wrote:
Jonathan wrote:First time I ever tried hook grip I pulled a deadlift pb of 252.5kg.

Yeah I like to play around with different grips on lighter weights too.

But when it gets heavy, you need to go to a grip you can trust.

That's why you use straps i guess :P
buzz wrote:looks like BEACH SEASON IS UPON US!
Kryptonite V
Radioactive Member

Postby Centinal » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:21 pm

My stupid womans hands are too small!
"Thank you for your recent enquiry. Our gym does indeed have free weights - they go up to 20kg. Unfortunately we don't have a squat rack but we have mats and Swiss balls for you to do squats on, if that's any help."

http://www.teambarbarian.com/
Centinal

Postby JP » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:25 pm

update!

Still hook gripping. Weights still low tho, 3x3x160 on deads - and double overhand feels nicer than hook gripping :D

Its painful still!

havent tried the tape yet.

lets see how long i can keep this up...
JP
Site Admin

Postby dublin dave » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:39 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the advantage of hook grip?
dublin dave

Postby V VII Hero » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:52 pm

I've got some messed up thumbs from breaking them both a few times.
my left thumb grew back distorted so its very hard for my left hand to grip anything, let alone bend. so using a hook grip might be impossible or severely hurt me.

but i am going to give it a try using a light weight and see how it is and if my thumb can bend like that underneath other fingers. cause if i can use this hook grip to pull more weight, that be great! because its always my grip that goes first (mainly left hand).
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby JP » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:06 pm

dublin dave wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but what's the advantage of hook grip?

it is supposedly a very solid grip which allows you to move more weight than you would with double overhand - and not having to use a mixed grip.

Thats why the olympic lifters use it, so that they can pull the cleans fast (that force generation is more than big deadlifts).

I have never quite hacked it, so i thought because i am stuck with building my strength back slowly i may as well get used to it...

One part why i think it will help me is that i think some of my back issues came from using the mixed grip.
JP
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:15 pm

I use hook grip for the first 3-4 sets of my 5x5 routine currently only 110kg.
Funny calluses are beginning to form on my thumb and the thumbnail is getting interesting lines on it.
baldy
Site Admin

Return to Power and Strength