New vegan, new triathlete. Powders/carbs:What should I eat?

Going vegan and new vegans in need of support or information.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

New vegan, new triathlete. Powders/carbs:What should I eat?

Postby meggiemerma » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:01 pm

I finally joined a local tri-training club and the US Open is in two weeks. I signed up for the sprint just to get a time and experience to build on. At this point I'm 90% vegan and I'm still easing into it with organic chicken eggs being the last non-vegan thing I will eat until I'm out of them.

What should I be focusing on in my diet for the next two weeks? Should it be carbs? Rice protein? Raw foods? Liquid mixes? What about when I get so fast I have to invest in powders to shave time? ;)

Does anyone have a training diet you'd recommend?
Choose the job you love and never work a day of your life.
meggiemerma

Postby Dave Noisy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:28 am

Heya, welcome!

I think the most common advice would be not to switch up your diet too much, esp. before a big event...

The loss of eggs won't be a major issue, but eat predominantly what you're used to.

Perhaps list what you normally eat? I personally recommend a whole-foods diet, so lotsa greens and veggies, fruits, as well as grains...it's hard to go wrong eating this way, just ensure you're getting enough calories. =)
Dave Noisy

Postby JP » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:03 am

congrats for the decision on going vegan, thats excellent!

like dave said, dont make any drastic changes now when you are so close to your comp, eat like before and just swap animal products with more or less like for like vegan products.

Good luck with the transition and the comp!
JP
Site Admin

Thanks

Postby meggiemerma » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:11 am

Thanks,

I guess I'll eat those eggs for now, but I feel really good. Better than I imagined. I'm eating a lot of organic tofu and brown rice as well as Meditteranean veggies, oil, and herbs. I stopped eating white sugar. I rationalized that might give me an extra boost should a loss of protein be a problem. I don't miss it, but I'm hooked on dates and nuts and fruit, so I guess I'm cheating the theory in a way.

I'm putting nutritional yeast in my recipes per vegan cooking instructions but I have no idea what it's for. Clues?

I'm scared of not getting enough B12 yet I forget it constantly. I need to get into a routine. What other supplements do I need?
Choose the job you love and never work a day of your life.
meggiemerma

Postby Dave Noisy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:42 am

Hey now - i said you'd prolly be fine without the eggs. ;)

A B12 deficiency (unless one already exists) won't manifest itself for a long time..apparently most healthy omni's have several years supply..wouldn't worry *too* much about that for now..

If you're eating a healthy range of foods, supplements shouldn't be necessary.
Dave Noisy

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:58 pm

My only advice is to make sure to eat lots of calories.

If you eat enough, with basic veriety, you really don't need to worry much about micro nutrients. Just make sure you staple foods have some b12 (like fortified soy milk) and other nutrients.

If you get enough calories, all the macronutrients are more than easy enough to get, and most micronutrients as well. Eat plenty!
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Return to New Vegan