the Duke's Tiramisu

Share your tasty and/or healthy recipes here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

the Duke's Tiramisu

Postby emm7 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:35 pm

the Duke has kindly given this recipe for Tiramisu so thought I would copy it to here.
I haven't made this recipe yet but it sounds divine.
I have seen soya whipping cream ( Granovita brand and also Soyatoo brand ) in UK so I know it can be done!

Tiramisu

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup margarine (2 sticks), softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup prepared egg replacer or 1/2 cup soft silken tofu
2 cups strong coffee
6 cups nondairy whipped cream (try Rich's at Richs.com) adding 2 Tbsp. amaretto or Frangelico in the last 30 seconds of mixing
2 cups strawberries and bananas, sliced
Bittersweet chocolate shavings or cocoa powder

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and baking powder. In a separate bowl, combine the margarine, vanilla, salt, and egg replacer or tofu, then add the margarine mixture to the flour mixture and blend thoroughly with an electric mixer. Spread this mixture on a greased and floured 11-inch-by-17-inch baking sheet or jellyroll pan and bake for 35 minutes. Allow to cool, then cut into “fingers.”

Dip the cake “fingers” into the coffee and lay several in the bottom of four individual glass serving bowls. Top them with sliced fruit and a dollop of the whipped topping. Repeat these layers twice more, ending with whipped topping. Garnish each with the bittersweet chocolate shavings or cocoa powder.

Cover the tiramisu dishes with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours before serving.

Postby The Duke » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:50 pm

I just copied it from chooseveg.com. :oops:
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby emm7 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:40 pm

it really does sound fabulous Duke.

a decadent slice of Tiramisu accompanied by a good strong espresso was my favourite dessert of all time but haven't eaten it since going vegan over six years ago....................

now I know it is possible once more!!!! :D :D
emm7

Postby The Duke » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:00 pm

Well don't just fantasize (ok you can fantasize a bit!)!

Get cracking and get eating!
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Re: the Duke's Tiramisu

Postby baldy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:54 am

I planning to make a Tiramisu this weekend to impress, so resurrected this thread.

Does anyone have any tips or recipes to add to this?

In my mind I am thinking base of sponge, layer of creamy filling then a layer of fair trade chocchip cookies, followed by more creamy stuff. Cover the whole thing in foam cream and grated chocolate.

For the creamy filling, looks like most people use a mix of tofutti cream cheese, alpro soya cream and some agar. Does that sound about right.

Really doubt I will find amaretto or Frangelico in any stores here either. So it might be alcohol free or could I use whiskey?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Re: the Duke's Tiramisu

Postby doggles » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:53 pm

baldy, you can definitely get amaretto in supermarkets here. the classic brand is 'disaronno' (it has a square black lid and is very tasty!). i'm not sure if you can get miniature bottles or not. don't know about frangelico, i've never had that.
doggles

Return to Vegan Recipes