VF sauna weekend in St. Petersburg

Forum to discuss and advertise vegan, animal, human, environmental and other vegan related events and campaigns.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

VF sauna weekend in St. Petersburg

Postby Kati » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:42 am

Got this idea yesterday of arranging a trip to St. Petersburg for Vegan fitness people. Main theme to get to know the Russian sauna, (Soviet style?). But St. Petersburg is also full of fitness places I think + good nightlife so anything that people wish can be arranged. Almost.

And to meet local vegans. I'll meet some Russians this weekend so will be discussing this with them.

There's already several people both from Finland and elsewhere who've said they'd be interested. This would happen in November or December, and would be a long weekend. Depending if we find time that is suitable for many enough.

It is easy and pretty cheap to go there from Helsinki. Around 200 e including arranged transport, accomodation + visa.
From other countries you'd need to find your way there or join us to go from Helsinki.

St. Petersburg is about the best city where I've been to. Definitely recommend it to ala.

Tell , if you'd be (at all) interested to join and if you have any suggestions.
When I had nothing to loose I had everything, when I stopped being who I am I found myself.
Kati

Postby bronco » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:23 am

I would be interested.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby Kati » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:07 am

[quote="bronco"]I would be interested.

So cool, you're the ninth by now!
When I had nothing to loose I had everything, when I stopped being who I am I found myself.
Kati

I'm so in!!!

Postby krisu » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:43 pm

I'm so excited about this! I just started learning Russian like three weeks ago! Count me in!
krisu

Postby Pekka » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:24 pm

I and Elina are interested, if the date happens to suit us. The whole autumn is quite booked.
Pekka

Postby dublin dave » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:29 pm

I'm tempted...
dublin dave

Postby erske » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:43 pm

I'm a maybe... depending on date!!
Something irrelevant about cavemen
erske

Postby violetti » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:58 pm

I am interested in this, too. I feel I am interested in too many things and don't know if I really do have afford. Have select which is difficult :?
violetti

Postby osric » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:21 am

ooh I'll be in the neighborhood (doing a run through London/Istanbul/Bishkek) in October so I'd love a sauna break if I can fit it in... :) My Russian is really bad but it's better than my Finnish! Maybe we could squeeze in some vegan Finnish baseball practice in St Petersburg?!?
"Persistence is your greatest weapon." - Quentin Crisp
osric

Postby Sue » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:21 am

I was thinking the other day that it would be nice to go to St Petersburg, so I'll definitely go if I happen to have both time and money at the same time.
Corporate vegan.
Sue

Postby KaliBaby » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:14 pm

I spent a semester studying abroad in St. Petersburg and enjoyed every minute of it! The city is so beautiful with all of its different architecture, statues, parks, bridges and canals... bring your cameras!!!

As far as the 'Russian sauna' goes, go to a real Ваня house and have people whip you with birch branches. I know that sounds a tad painful but it's what real Russians do. You sit in a small room with a stove sweating your ass off, then get whipped with branches, then step out and get freezing water poured all over you. It cleanses and shocks your body unlike anything you've experienced!

I'm jealous for those who can attend this weekend getaway. I would do anything to go back to Russia :cry:
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby Kati » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:02 pm

Russian guys said they'd arrange some winter forest orienteering and animal rights action the Russian way. But going to a Russian sauna.. a crazy idea.
Kati

Postby Kati » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:41 pm

21-23.11 (or 20-23.11) looks like the best option now. Me and Pekka (I hope it was ok to say this) are both having a birthday party in Russia in this case. Which really doesn't sound too bad.
Kati

Postby barnz2k » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:20 pm

possibly.. if the date works.. why not? :P
barnz2k

Postby visitorq » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:44 pm

Great idea, I'm interested too. Maybe we can even arrange some Dancersizing ;)
visitorq

Next

Return to Vegan activism and events