Resting pulse rate table.

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Resting pulse rate table.

Postby Big Good Wolf » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:43 am

Just curious to know what other people's are and how the strength athletes compare with the speed athletes.
I've always thought that resting pulse rate is a more accurate guide to fitness than those height / weight tables so I'd be interested to hear from someone more knowledgeable if that's true.
Post your RPR, I'll update the table.

54 - Big Good Wolf
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
Big Good Wolf

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Re: Resting pulse rate table.

Postby baldy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:03 am

Whats the rules?
First thing in the morning when you wake up?

I find mine varies a fair amount, if I am recovering from big session it will be elevated for a couple of days.

Also its not fun to compare because some people just have naturally low resting heart rate. Probably my most unhealthy buddy had a RPR of 40 beats per minute.

I just did mine now and was not happy with it so will do it in the morning and post if Im happy with it. :?
baldy
Site Admin

Postby puppydog » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:24 am

BGW, that's pretty low, good work (i guess)

mine is about 64.
can we do blood presure too???
mine is like 100/60 or something

not sure if RHR is a 'challenge' as basic physiology is going to play a factor for a lot of people, as is age for old timers like me.
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Postby Big Good Wolf » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:33 am

Baldy, I check first thing in the morning before I get up. If you can somehow get a lower figure at some other time of the day, then go for that.
Omar, maybe a table isn't the best way to do it as it's not really a "challenge", but if people are going to post their RHRs for comparison it's easier if they are all collected in one place.

For me, the interest comes from the fact that at the age of 45 I am only about 5kg off being obese, yet my RHR is well below average. Which is the more accurate guide to my health or fitness ?
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
Big Good Wolf

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby SpugFab » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:34 am

I think a far more interesting table is how high a heart rate you can achieve without moving.
SpugFab

Postby james79 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:55 am

When I wake up it is usually around 38. At the moment it is 46. It's naturally low, i think because i have a heart murmur.
Don't let your outrage for injustice end where your selfishness begins
james79

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:41 pm

Mine is 38 at rest, usually first thing in the morning. Usually 43-44 if I have had a killer training session, and am tired. But when I am rested, its 38.

Max is 185

Seem to remember Miguel Indurains was 28 at rest ! :shock:
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby benzilla » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:51 pm

james79 wrote:When I wake up it is usually around 38. At the moment it is 46. It's naturally low, i think because i have a heart murmur.

I have a heart murmur as well... I just measured 54. Just got back from lunch and climbed 4 flights of stairs. I'll check again one morning.
benzilla

Postby XkillerX » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:14 pm

i cant wait for the next VF "challange"/table, it will probably be a competition on who can manage more REM sleep! :roll:
Next time, I'll spend the money on drugs instead.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby benzilla » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:18 pm

XkillerX wrote:i cant wait for the next VF "challange"/table, it will probably be a competition on who can manage more REM sleep! :roll:

Don't have a low heart rate? How can we measure the REM sleep?
Maybe we should measure the PH of our urine?
benzilla

Postby baldy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:28 pm

spug_myers wrote:I think a far more interesting table is how high a heart rate you can achieve without moving.

Does drinking coffee count as moving?

I was also trying to think of a use for this in real life.

On a similar vain this is pretty interesting

Second, I am also able to elevate my core body temperature by as much as 1.4°C (35F) before I even get into the water.  This phenomenon, now known as "anticipatory thermogenises", has to our knowledge not been noted in any other human being.

http://www.lewispugh.com/science.html

Now that is a cool party trick.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby fredrikw » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:23 pm

Resting heart rate doesn't necessarily say anything about your fitness level in comparison to others. When you get more fit your resting heart rate decreases, but you can't say that one person is more fit or anything like that just because he/she has a lower resting heart rate than another person. So I'm afraid this will be as pointless as, if not even more so than, the height/weight tables...
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby puppydog » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:27 pm

baldy wrote:Second, I am also able to elevate my core body temperature by as much as 1.4°C (35F) before I even get into the water.  This phenomenon, now known as "anticipatory thermogenises", has to our knowledge not been noted in any other human being.
http://www.lewispugh.com/science.html

Now that is a cool party trick.

i can slow my pulse by a good 30bpm or more just by concentrating on it.
not sure if my heart slows, or just my pulse, or if there's a difference, but i used to freak people out in gym class when we had to measure each other's heart rate.
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Postby puppydog » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:28 pm

XkillerX wrote:i cant wait for the next VF "challange"/table, it will probably be a competition on who can manage more REM sleep! :roll:

i've got that won
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Postby baldy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:22 am

I tried it again this morning in bed and still not very happy.
Current resting: 60bpm

My best just before I ran the marathon in June was 48bpm.

So I would say that running or endurance training is probably best way to decrease RPR.

<excuse>
Im pretty tired out at the moment so I would hope my pulse would get below 55bpm with some quality rest & recover.
</excuse>
baldy
Site Admin

Next

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness