upper chest help?

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

upper chest help?

Postby xjvoorheesx » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:27 pm

i am getting so frustrated with the lack of development in my upper chest area...what are some tried and true exercises that have personally worked for someone with no upper chest? i do 3 sets of 5-7 reps of incline presses with 80 lb. dumbbells, three sets of 5-7 reps of incline flys with 45 lb dumbbells, etc...i am only 165 lbs. and i use an ironmaster superbench (incline/decline) with ironmaster dumbbells (adjustable up to 75 but they have an adapter for up to 120 or even 165 i think). that is the max weight i can safely control with perfect form (or as close as i can get) but i have a feeling its not a weight issue but something else. any advice would be greatly appreciated...

i also make a supergreen pro 96 shake with flaxseed oil immediately after my workout.
xjvoorheesx

Postby Jonathan » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:33 pm

Unfortunately you cannot specifically target any particular part of your chest. The way that it grows is down to genetics, so I think you are just going to have to get used to it. Either that, or pack on a lot of weight, and the extra mass will mean extra mass on all parts of your chest.

Jonathan
Kathryn wrote:You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby israel » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:04 pm

i have a big chest - i know its not supose to work but it did for me - tey push ups - they say its better close hands but i do them wide and it helped also chin ups and pull ups - but im not sure if mt chest works there just because its bigger then other muscels or im doing something wrong but on the push ups im more sure !

try it even if its not isolating - another good exrcise that if i wanted to target the chest is this and its an isolating exrcise :

Free Motion Cable Crossovers

http://kbierek.powweb.com/shapefit-pics ... sovers.gif
israel

Postby israel » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:04 pm

israel

Postby bronco » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:30 am

Jonathan wrote:Unfortunately you cannot specifically target any particular part of your chest. The way that it grows is down to genetics, so I think you are just going to have to get used to it. Either that, or pack on a lot of weight, and the extra mass will mean extra mass on all parts of your chest.

That's is only half true, different exercises activate the sternal and clavicular head of the pecs to different degrees, with stuff like incline bench activating the clavicular more.

So theoretically doing more incline presses could help the problem, but most likely what you really need is to put on more mass overall.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby israel » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:33 pm

sry i didnt understand the question -

incline bench press - thats what i know - where your head is the higherand then your legs
israel

Postby Muay Jin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:37 pm

Yeah pu work for me too =)
There is no try, only do.
Muay Jin

Postby draco880 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:19 am

Military press is fun too.
draco880

Postby Marty » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:23 pm

Standard thinking for developing upper pecs is to concentrate on Incline Bench Press. Pretty much all the major sources you might read say this, Arnolds enyclopedia (he knew a thing or 2 about hypertrophy), M+F, flex, Robert Kennedys mag.. the list goes on :3

Off the top of my head the routines they suggest are something like this

Incline Bench press 3-5 sets 6-12 reps
Flat Dumbbell Bench Press 3-5 sets 6-12 reps
Incline flyes cant remember :3

Id suggest doing your Incline presses with a barbell as you can typically handle more weight than with dumbells, as well as keeping your grip a little wider than normal to reduce tricep involvement.

Another option would be to try pre exhausting your upper pecs with flyes before your incline press, something as simple as this can often kickstart growth.

A question I have for you is are you trying to progress with your weights/reps from week to week? If you arent and you're just grinding out the same old routine every week nothing much is likely to happen.

Sorry for long post, just my 2 pence worth tho
Marty

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights