Deadlift - Mixed Grip?

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Deadlift - Mixed Grip?

Postby puppydog » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:47 am

I see that everybody uses mixed grip, according to Wikkipedia it's to balance the bar from rolling our of your hands.

Wouldn't it be better to use overhand grip and just get stronger and/or develop the strength to stabilise the bar instead?

Also, if you're usingmixed grip should you alternate which hand is overhand between sets to balance or doesn't matter?
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Postby SpugFab » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:51 am

You should use straps.
SpugFab

Postby dublin dave » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:55 am

spug_myers wrote:You should use straps.

Really?
dublin dave

Re: Deadlift - Mixed Grip?

Postby Wobbly Lifter » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:56 am

omar tan wrote:Wouldn't it be better to use overhand grip and just get stronger and/or develop the strength to stabilise the bar instead?

It depends do you want, your grip to get stronger or your deadlift? If the focus is on deadlift then mixed grip is ideal, your grip will get stronger anyway. I can only do 70% of my max without using mixed so won't get a very good deadlift workout that way.

omar tan wrote:Also, if you're usingmixed grip should you alternate which hand is overhand between sets to balance or doesn't matter?
Alternating hands isn't a bad idea.

Straps are ok depending on what your training for, but unless you have some reason not to use mixed(like doing OL stuff), I'd suggest mixed grip.
Better Living Through Chemistry
Wobbly Lifter

Re: Deadlift - Mixed Grip?

Postby buzz » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:58 am

omar tan wrote:I see that everybody uses mixed grip, according to Wikkipedia it's to balance the bar from rolling our of your hands.

Wouldn't it be better to use overhand grip and just get stronger and/or develop the strength to stabilise the bar instead?

Also, if you're usingmixed grip should you alternate which hand is overhand between sets to balance or doesn't matter?

It's better to use double overhand but no way you can pull as much this way as with mixed or hook grip. Grip will become a limiting factor on DO, which is ok if you're not wanting to shift big(ger) weights. I do it up to a certain point, but generally switch to hook from about 75% of my max weight. Position your body is in with hooked/DO grip is better than when using mixed imo. Yeah, best to switch it up if you are using mixed, but one way will usually be stronger than the other, and use this for the all out lifts I'd say.
buzz

Postby SpugFab » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:05 pm

dublin dave wrote:

Really?

He posted the question in the "bodybuilding" section. Bodybuilders tend to use straps. It lets them "focus on feeling the muscle".
SpugFab

Postby puppydog » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:51 pm

spug_myers wrote:
dublin dave wrote:

Really?

He posted the question in the "bodybuilding" section. Bodybuilders tend to use straps. It lets them "focus on feeling the muscle".

Bodybuilding and "training with weights" - it's the latter part I was thinking of.

Less interested in 'bodybuilding'. If this was in the POwer & strength forum what would your answer be?
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Postby SpugFab » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:54 pm

omar tan wrote:Bodybuilding and "training with weights" - it's the latter part I was thinking of.

Less interested in 'bodybuilding'. If this was in the POwer & strength forum what would your answer be?

The line between posting in "power and strength" and "training with weights" is subtle and possibly only exists in JPs head.

But you crossed that line.
SpugFab

Postby WhoCaresWins » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:21 pm

The alternate grip is the way to go. You should swap it over each set.
Don't use straps or gloves. Your grip will improve!

WCW
'If only I knew how to disappear there would be a perfect union of love between God and the earth I tread.'
Simone Weil
http://thecounterforce.tripod.com/writing.html
WhoCaresWins

Postby baldy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:22 am

I was using a normal grip up until this morning, after 2 reps at 110kg the bar nearly fell out of my hand. I then switched to a mixed grip and finished my set.

So I would say if your grip gives up on you change the grip. If you use gloves you will end up with soft girly hands without any calluses.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:42 am

Hook grip is the way forward.

With hook grip you are able to keep your body straight (with mixed there is strain on different parts of both sides of the body) and grip becomes a non-issue. I think hook grip with very almost as strong as mixed grip too.

Jonathan
Kathryn wrote:You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby Wobbly Lifter » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:38 am

Honestly I still find mixed grip way stronger then hook. Dealift for me by grip
D0-110kg
Hook 130kg
Mixed 160kg

Hook grip is better then mixed for the reson that Jonathan mentioned but a lot of people won't be able to pull as much.
Better Living Through Chemistry
Wobbly Lifter

Postby JP » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:08 am

here Ano Turtiainen tears his bicep while deadlifting - AUCH!!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SW6dTdSnDtU

...good argument for hook grip...

(though probably not a worry for people who dont deadlift 300+!)
JP
Site Admin

Postby tempehmomma » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:48 pm

JP wrote:here Ano Turtiainen tears his bicep while deadlifting - AUCH!!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SW6dTdSnDtU

...good argument for hook grip...

(though probably not a worry for people who dont deadlift 300+!)
Could you write "Warning: This video contains graphic content" in your post next time? That was gross! :shock:
tempehmomma

Postby puppydog » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:58 pm

tempehmomma wrote:(though probably not a worry for people who dont deadlift 300+!)
Could you write "Warning: This video contains graphic content" in your post next time? That was gross! :shock:[/quote]

somewhat safe to assume that a bicep being torn "AUCH" isnt' going to be pretty . . .
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Next

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights