Pushup Challenge

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby SpugFab » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:54 am

tempehmomma wrote:I belong to a military fitness group on myspace. I'll ask the members how doable it is for a civilian.

If it's doable for someone in the military then it's doable for a civilian. Perhaps even more likely as they might not have competing physical demands.

I was talking to my brother in law about the challenges on VF. I asked him what strategy you'd use for the 10-minute pushup test. He looked at me like I was stupid and replied that I should just do pushups for the 10 minutes. He mentioned they'd had someone at the club recently who could do over a thousand pushups in a set.
SpugFab

Postby baldy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:30 am

spug_myers wrote:He mentioned they'd had someone at the club recently who could do over a thousand pushups in a set.

And how many can you do in one set? :roll:
baldy
Site Admin

Postby SpugFab » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:36 am

I always thought participation in these challenges was voluntary :?

I guess VF is changing.
SpugFab

Postby baldy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:54 am

I did 45 last night.. slowly slowly making improvements..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MHl82yiu60
baldy
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:04 am

spug_myers wrote:I always thought participation in these challenges was voluntary :?

I guess VF is changing.

Or course participation is voluntary, but after 3 posts participation is assumed!
HTFU, do some pushups in your lunch break..
baldy
Site Admin

Postby sonnyd7 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:07 am

I'll give this a go tomorrow morning. I used to be able to crank out 70+ during basic training, but it was 10 years and 50 lbs ago since that time ;)
Surfing is the art of dancing with the ocean
sonnyd7

Postby SpugFab » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:08 am

baldy wrote:HTFU, do some pushups in your lunch break..

I'm doing snatch, cleans, push jerks, shoulder press and front squat in my lunch break...

I'd have to Soften TFU to do some pushups :roll:
SpugFab

Postby baldy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:23 am

spug_myers wrote:
I'd have to Soften TFU to do some pushups :roll:

Good excuse ^^^^

Maybe consider it a warm up? If your embarrassed people might see you, do them in the change room so no one sees you.
Last edited by baldy on Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:40 am

spug_myers wrote:
tempehmomma wrote:I belong to a military fitness group on myspace. I'll ask the members how doable it is for a civilian.

If it's doable for someone in the military then it's doable for a civilian. Perhaps even more likely as they might not have competing physical demands.

I was talking to my brother in law about the challenges on VF. I asked him what strategy you'd use for the 10-minute pushup test. He looked at me like I was stupid and replied that I should just do pushups for the 10 minutes. He mentioned they'd had someone at the club recently who could do over a thousand pushups in a set.

The doubt baffles me, to be honest !

How would a civilian do them ?

Well, what about if he was a pro-cyclist, with a resting heart rate of 38 beats a minute, and a karate black belt, who did loads of weight training, and was extremely fit, with massive stamina and resistance to pain ?

Maybe then a mere civilian could do 1000 press-ups ?

Fuck me !

I didn't realise the army was so fit. I guess that six weeks basic training must be pretty damn hard then. My 35 hours a week training, for the previous ten years obviously wasn't good enough !

Why the fuck would I make it up ? What would be the point ? Did I mention I won the Tour de France too ?

Its only 1000 press ups !

:evil:
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby Konstantin » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:58 am

JohnBarleycorn wrote:Did I mention I won the Tour de France too ?

:shock:
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:30 pm

Papaya wrote:
JohnBarleycorn wrote:Did I mention I won the Tour de France too ?

I didn't really ! :lol:

I was just illustrating the stupidity of making things up ! :lol:

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:34 pm

tempehmomma wrote:
sonnyd7 wrote:
tempehmomma wrote:Sorry dude I don't believe you used to do 1000 push-ups in a day.

1000 in a day is doable, they don't have to be done all in one session and are split up throughout the day. Of course nobody is going to be blasting out 1000 straight, that's impossible (well at least by a human).
I think it's doable but only for a minority of the population. Highly doubtful 1000 at a time as JohnBarleycorn claims full ROM good form (not half-push-ups) unless he was in prison, the military, or on "speed" in 14 minutes.

1000 / 14 minutes=71.4/minute
1000 / 16 hours=62/hour every hour over the course of the day.

I belong to a military fitness group on myspace. I'll ask the members how doable it is for a civilian.

So the fittest people are in prison, or the military ?

Or maybe I am in that minority, who have actually been quite fit, at some point in their lives ?

I have known several other people who could do 1000 in one set. And several who could do more. None were in prison, and none in the military. Funny, but none of the SAS men I know can do 1000 pushups. Maybe they need to spend more time in prison ?

JohnBarleycorn

Postby tempehmomma » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:56 pm

If you know so many people who can do 1000 push-ups then why hasn't anyone video taped it an uploaded the video on youtube? :?

Fuck me !
Don't say that about yourself it's not polite.
tempehmomma

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:59 pm

tempehmomma wrote:If you know so many people who can do 1000 push-ups then why hasn't anyone video taped it an uploaded the video on youtube? :?

Fuck me !
Don't say that about yourself it's not polite.

Maybe Youtube isn't the first thing on everyones mind ?

Maybe they haven't got Youtube in their prisons ? Or in their special forces units ?

JohnBarleycorn

Postby SpugFab » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:05 pm

baldy wrote:Maybe consider it a warm up?

I went for it as a cool-down. I had a number in mind. THE NUMBER OF THE BEAST (45).

And got there (just though :oops:) - 46

1000 rep pushup video on youtube would be removed due to issues of tedium. That's why they don't exist.
SpugFab

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness