Fitness Is FUN!

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby Gelert » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:23 pm

Frostfire wrote:Once home, my dad asked if I would mow his lawn, so I did. Took about an hour and was hard work! My back and shoulders are sore from that, and my forearms are all pumped up from climbing. Good times :D

Ah yes, the lawnmower workout. I'm just warming down from one right now. I wish I were warming down from some climbing. Good to see you're fitting lots of the latter in!
Gelert

Postby Frostfire » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:45 pm

1 August 2008
Fast and hard-paced bike ride, ~7 or 8 miles. Took 30 minutes. Still no gym membership because I can't get into the University's gym until after August 11th and I'm not willing to pay the insane amounts of money the other gyms in the area are asking for a week or two membership. I guess I'll just have to go rock climbing instead ;)
Frostfire

Postby The Duke » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:49 pm

Any fighting at all?
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby Frostfire » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:47 pm

@Duke: Nope, not right now. The last Kali classes I was taking in El Paso was a bit much for me. By the end of the hour every class my RA would be complaining even though the teachers there were very understanding of my situation. I still practice a bit with my sticks and knives though :D

2 August 2008
Hiking/exploring out in the Wasatch Mountains by Ogden, Utah with my dad. With the aid of a new guide book, I found a decent little boulder field with some decent looking climbs, and some rumored sport climbs. I can tell I've been spoiled living and climbing at Hueco Tanks. Everything else just doesn't hold a candle to Hueco!

Also, I've just about convinced my brother to climb Mt.Timpanogos with me, 12 hour hike the covers a mile of elevation change :D - I'm hoping that will be my Wednesday this week.
Frostfire

Postby Frostfire » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:34 pm

3 August 2008
Quick weight session in the backyard, but given I only have 42.5 lbs of weight, it was pretty pathetic (d'oh).

Overhead Squats: 3, 4, 4 x 42.5 lbs
Lunges: 3 x 24 x 42.5 lbs
Bench: 3 x 15 x 42.5 lbs
Bent Rows: 3 x 12 x 42.5 lbs

The sad thing is I'm feeling the lunges a little today in my glutes :oops:
Frostfire

Postby gms » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:35 pm

Are you going up Timpooneke, then down Aspen Grove? It took us about 12 hours. Beautiful hike!! We saw several mountain goats and a few deer. Be sure to get there early because parking was a pain. But if you are going during the week it might not be so bad. As soon as I find my camera I will post a few pictures of the Natural Bridge Cavern on my log. It was good but did not compare to Carlsbad Caverns. Have fun!
gms

Postby Frostfire » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:16 am

Hey gms, I plan to go both up and down the Timpooneke trail because that is the only one I know about! Is there a loop? Apparently I need to do a little more research on the subject :) . Can't wait to see your photos!
Frostfire

Postby jemmyducks » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:07 am

Hey Frosty,

Great to see you're climbing so regularly. I just started up again myself and I can feel the addiction! It's indoors though, which definitely loses a bit of the thrill..
Personal Trainer and Nutrition Coach
San Francisco, CA

Check out my Training Log:
http://www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20845&p=341210#p341210

If at first you fail, train, train again.
jemmyducks

Postby gms » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:02 pm

The Timpooneke and Aspen trail meet about three miles from the top and turn into the Summit trail to the top. We hiked up the Timpooneke trail until it turned into the Summit and back down on the Aspen. The Aspen trail is steeper and harder to follow and the Timpooneke is more switch backs and about a mile longer. You can hike on the highway back to your car.
gms

Postby Frostfire » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:10 pm

Hey Jemmyducks! Climbing is SO fun. We should start planning a vegan climbing get together, I bet there is a lot of us out there :D

Thanks gms, that helps. Although I prefer steep going up and gentle going down (the knees prefer it at least . . .). My brother has already bowed out, but I hope I can still borrow his car to get out there tomarrow.

5 August 2008
Little bike ride this morning, I need to get my computer hooked up so I can google earth it to find the distance, but I think it is about 10 miles. Mornings are so cool (temperature) here! It was already 8:30 am when I got out, but the sun wasn't baking down on me, wahoo for Utah :D
Frostfire

Postby Frostfire » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:32 pm

Argh! I've been waiting for some medication to arrive by UPS and it never showed up, so instead of accending Mt. Timpanogos today, I've been on the phone and such getting things situated :x What a hassle :? , but I took my angst out on some quartzite boulders for a couple of hours in Ogden, Utah. Got a couple V0's and worked on a super fun V2 traverse. Oh well, maybe this weekend I'll get there.
Frostfire

Postby Frostfire » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:35 am

7 August 2008
Wahoo! Got to hike Mt. Timpanogos today :D . Took 7 and 1/2 hours out and back again. I started at 6:45 am and finished 2:15 pm. I took lots of photos, but for some reason photobucket isn't uploading them right now so I'll post them later :D . I am beat! It was a great but killer hike. The last 300 feet of elevation had me breathing heavily. My cardiovascular fitness was definatly the weak link.
Frostfire

height

Postby JohnV » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:52 am

Sounds like your having a lot of fun. Good work!
John V

an evolving primate
JohnV

Postby The Duke » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:19 am

Frostfire wrote: We should start planning a vegan climbing get together, I bet there is a lot of us out there :D

How about McKinley?
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby Frostfire » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:39 pm

The Duke wrote:How about McKinley?

Whoa, maybe not? I was thinking something closer to people interested and something a cardiovascularly-impaired person such as myself could do :P . Also, I was thinking more rock climbing, but a mountain climbing get-together would be awesome 8)
Frostfire

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs