Seitan (or Wheat Gluten) appreciation thread

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Seitan (or Wheat Gluten) appreciation thread

Postby _Andreas_ » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:58 pm

I'm sure I am way behind people but I only just tried the stuff today - fried gluten as mock duck meat. Apart from looking way too realistic it also tasted amazing - beats tofu if you ask me. In a stir fry with: onions mushrooms, broccoli, black eye beans, sweet corn and a bit of BBQ sauce it was heaven after a weights session. Sure it was fried so a little unhealthy but hey.

Who else indulges?
_Andreas_

Postby puppydog » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:11 pm

Yes, many of us sold our soul to Seitan long ago.

I'm into it, but only once in a while and if I'm having some major meat cravings.

It can be very easy to make, best results seem to be making a biggish loaf in some type of braising liquid or steaming, and then letting it cool, and then slicing and panfrying or grilling.
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Postby xbojanx » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:52 pm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:11 pm Post subject:
Yes, many of us sold our soul to Seitan long ago.

So true... my son eats loads of seitan, mostly fried (there is a couple of brands here, ready to consume type, we rarely buy raw seitan unfortunately).
xbojanx

Postby lobsteriffic » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:00 pm

I've never bought seitan (I wouldn't even know where to find it here) but I make it a LOT. Baking it is my favourite method. I will bake a giant log of it and then slice off pieces to make sandwiches. I've also tried steaming it and that works well too. I don't care much for the texture of boiled seitan, or at least when I make it.

I would say seitan is probably the most common protein source I eat. I eat seitan a lot more than tofu or tempeh.
lobsteriffic

Postby benzilla » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:43 pm

I've only made boiled seitan, and it's quite nice, but not like the stuff i'd get in a restaurant.
Can someone recommend other recipes? I've been using the one from the post punk kitchen.

http://theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/ind ... cipeID=112
benzilla

Postby lobsteriffic » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:36 pm

Baked Seitan Log (aka Seitan O'Greatness) - I usually ignore the spices/seasonings in the recipe and make up my own

Seitan Sausages - Again on the seasonings, I usually experiment. These work great as hot dogs and freeze extremely well.

Seitan ribs - These are AMAZING. Every omnivore I have fed them to loves them.

Chickenless Wings - I just make them like nuggets and forgo the sticks.
lobsteriffic

Postby _Andreas_ » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:26 pm

lobsteriffic wrote:I've never bought seitan (I wouldn't even know where to find it here) but I make it a LOT. Baking it is my favourite method. I will bake a giant log of it and then slice off pieces to make sandwiches. I've also tried steaming it and that works well too. I don't care much for the texture of boiled seitan, or at least when I make it.

I would say seitan is probably the most common protein source I eat. I eat seitan a lot more than tofu or tempeh.

I found mine in an asain supermarket. Not called Seitan though, I just asked for fake meat made from wheat gluten and they showed me their mock duck. Otherwise health shops have it. If you make your own it doesn't really matter though I'm guessing.
_Andreas_

Postby benzilla » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:31 pm

lobsteriffic wrote:Baked Seitan Log (aka Seitan O'Greatness) - I usually ignore the spices/seasonings in the recipe and make up my own

Seitan Sausages - Again on the seasonings, I usually experiment. These work great as hot dogs and freeze extremely well.

Seitan ribs - These are AMAZING. Every omnivore I have fed them to loves them.

Chickenless Wings - I just make them like nuggets and forgo the sticks.

cheers, I'll have to give some of these a go!
benzilla

Postby xbojanx » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:39 pm

vital wheat gluten

shit, I don't have this
xbojanx

Postby _Andreas_ » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:07 pm

Tried mock abalone a sec ago, bit of a weird idea but tasted great. Can't decide what was better, that or the organic tofu hazelnut cutlets I had earlier in the week.
_Andreas_

Postby chloe » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:11 pm

i used to buy mock duck occassionally cos its really good on pizza.BUt other than that the ready made seiten is really expensive in my experience,. id like to try and make it myself.for some reason i have this idea that its not that healthy, and that its difficult to make....!?
chloe

Postby sonnyd7 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:56 pm

heil seitan
Surfing is the art of dancing with the ocean
sonnyd7

Re: Seitan (or Wheat Gluten) appreciation thread

Postby baldy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:30 pm

Never really been that into seitan, but at VFW Johnny made some amazing smoked seitan steaks!
I am converted, got my veganomicon out and have some seitan chickpea cutlets in the oven as we speak.

Anyone else have any new seitan recipes worth sharing?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Talyn » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:34 pm

Veganomicon has great seitan recipes. Chickpea cutlets and the basic seitan are well worth making.

I am currently working on a secret seitan recipe... I will report back if it is successful...
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby DB » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:55 pm

mmmm, seitan....
We eat a fair bit of it. On the occasion we buy mock meats, they are almost always seitan based. Seitan and Tempeh are my favorite things for tossing into sandwiches, scrambles, pasta sauces, burritos or anywhere else I want something a little heartier than just veggies. Easy to make as well. We buy the gluten in bulk.
DB

Next

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements