folding bike help needed (again)

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby Coney » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:49 pm

I think those folding bikes are pretty darn cool. Great for short rides and they're such a great idea for living in cities. If I didn't want to do more heavy long distance rides, I'd look into one of those.

I don't really know the difference between the folding bikes, brand or size wise, so I'm not sure I can help you out. I'll just say I think they're a great idea.
Coney

Snow rides

Postby TriMe » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:09 pm

Snow rides can be great fun on a road bike, the only thing you have to watch out for is salted roads. They wear down your bike if you don't clean it regularly. Also remember not to lock your back tire when braking!
TriMe

Postby scenthound » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:12 pm

Folding bikes are cool indeed. As long as the rides are short and the terrain is flat. Those small wheels will cut the possible top speed down quite a bit though. One fellow was bringing one here but no longer does. He finally tired of waiting for empty elevators. Just keep in mind the compromises involved. Also any bike weighting much over 28 pounds will be a real clunker.
RUN for your life
scenthound

Re: Folding Bike?

Postby scenthound » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:23 pm

fredrikw wrote:I must disagree with you on this. there's nothing wrong with riding during the winter on snow and ice, just use the right gear....)

Nothing wrong with it at all. I used to do it all the time. Just keep in mind that this is high risk sports. Particularly in traffic or after dark. The snow often conceals slick ice that spinning car tires have made lethal. Even clear looking streets can hide black ice that can send you sliding right into the coming wheels of an SUV. OUCH!

One winter I went up into the Sierra high country on alpine touring skis for a week. Alone. Don't recommend it to others though.
RUN for your life
scenthound

Postby fredrikw » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:38 pm

I never ride during the winter without properly studded tires, Nokian has a couple of models that are great. Ice patches are no problem at all when riding on these, it's just like riding on pavement. I use a pair of Nokian Extreme 294 on my mountain bike and a pair of Hakkapeliitta W106 on my commuter bike, never had any problem sliding on ice. riding in deep snow is a different thing however... 8)

but I do agree, riding during winter is potentially more dangerous, but then again if you're really safety concious you wouldn't be riding a bike at all, not in traffic at least... :?
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby scenthound » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:09 pm

Nothing like this was available when I was winter riding. About the best I could do was use the most agressive tread I could find and try to ride in the traffic ruts - out in the street - since the sides would get plowed and refreeze.

I remember reading an article describing a way to improvise studs on tires but it didn't look feasible for the thin road tires I was using. Looks like the gear has improved quite a bit here.

While I wouldn't say I was way too safety conscious, I'm not one of those stunt guys either. :wink:
RUN for your life
scenthound

Postby Rochellita » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:34 pm

scenthound- I've had too many beloved bikes stolen to want to risk losing another. I end up investing in all kinds of stuff, in several good locks, in a nice seat, in lights and then someone steals the lot.

For for someone like me who lives on the edge of the inner-city, where bike theft is rife, it is a perfect choice. It's for daily, short-distance use, I can keep it behind my desk at work, and in the hallway of my small flat (soon to be small mews house), and in the small dressing room at my yoga studio etc.

The new generation folders are not like the old clunkers, BTW, they have grown up a bit :D
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby scenthound » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:25 pm

Rochelle,

I just read this morning your other bike thread. Wow, that's rough. I can see now why you want something you won't leave out. I keep both my old road bike and my mountain bike inside.

I lived in NYC and managed to narrowly escape getting mine ripped off twice. They were even pulling guns on bikers on the upper deck of the Brooklyn Bridge!

Sucks huh!
RUN for your life
scenthound

Postby Rochellita » Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:57 pm

Well, I did it. I bought this one:

http://www.dahon.com/impulsed6.htm

Good deal on E-Bay from Germany. It isin't my first choice, but it's good as an entry level folder.

I'm sure it'll offend you stylish bike guru types (we won't mention names...), but I'm a geek anyway and I think it looks quite cute :wink:
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby fredrikw » Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:11 am

it seems to be a slightly better model than the boardwalk that you talked about earlier (at least according to their web site) which is good, and if you got it for a good price on eBay that's even better. it's always nice to make acquaintance with a new bike, congratulations!
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Rochellita » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:35 am

The German retailer was most offended when I compared it to the Boardwalk which is not sold in Germany :lol: The Impuls is not sold in the UK as a Dahon, instead it is rebranded as a Ridgeback folder for the same price as the Boardwalk.

The difference in price was huge- it's about GBP 270 from the UK and I'm paying GBP 190, including postage, from Germany!

I might upgrade to Kevlar tyres at some point. I love those Nokian tyres though, that's so cool. I didn't cycle here last winter so I didn't really notice how icy the roads get.

I'm so excited about cycling again!
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby Dave Noisy » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:59 am

I dunno, i rode several snowy/icey winters on regular MTB knobbies..heheh

You do gotta go slower, but it's totally do-able.
Dave Noisy

Postby Rochellita » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:01 am

well, my Dahon arrived. It needs a bit of tweaking but otherwise it's ready to go- so I had a whizz down the corridor next to my office. It's bigger than I thought, but lighter than I imagined, but it still fits neatly behind my desk where I can keep my eye on it.

I must admit I'm a bit scared about hitting the road and the traffic after a year of not cycling (I think I developed post-traumatic-bike-theft-syndrome), but I guess that's part of the thrill. At heart I'm a cyclist, and have been ever since I fell in love with my first Chopper (sheesh, that makes me old) when I was a kid. So I'm incredibly excited about cycling everywhere again, despite the inevitably awful Mancunian winter ahead.
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby fredrikw » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:05 am

well, if you get readjusted to cycling during the winter, you'll be in prefect shape for spring and summer when everything feels lighter, easier and flatter :D
fredrikw
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Cycling Forum