Fitness Is FUN!

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Fitness Is FUN!

Postby Frostfire » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:20 pm

Okay, couldn't think of a wittier title, its too early in the morning right now! Oh well, here's to my new training log :D

24 June 2008

Went for a 16 (maybe 16.5) mile bike ride after work today. Its a mostly flat road and it took me an hour and about 15 - 20 minutes (I should keep better track). There are not a lot of options for routes out here because there is only one road leading in to where I live now and it is 8 miles long (that's how I gauged my distance).

The bike I'm on is an old Schwin mountain bike that is owned by the state park where I am working, it has just sort-of made its way to my trailer where I'm living now and stayed there :D . I use it to get around at work, but its a small area so commuting doesn't count for my workouts.

And all this I am SO happy to log because I'm able to cycle again! My RA has been so bad that I have not been able to for a long time, it was simply too painful, but the new medications I am on (Humira, Methotrexate, Mobic coctail)have really helped :D
Last edited by Frostfire on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Frostfire

Be it ever so humble

Postby Frostfire » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:36 pm

A post on life in general . . .

I'm working this summer at Hueco Tanks State Historic Site that is ~30 miles east of El Paso. I live in a trailer, which is great because I don't have to pay rent or anything right now:

This place is a rock climber's dream and I spend most of my days off climbing:

The only downside of being out here is the nearest health food store is now 1.5 hours drive away and there is no cell phone signal (but surprisingly, I have internet).

I graduated from Uni this last May which has been great and I start graduate school in the fall, which is going to be a lot of work :? . I'm moving up to Utah for this after my job is done out here (in another 4 weeks).

Also, I am now the proud owner of a Macbook :D :D :D - my whole family chipped in and bought me one for graduation. I love my family, they are awesome!
Frostfire

Postby SpugFab » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:51 pm

Cool, good to see the training log back.

I'm especially impressed by your nonchalant reporting of your bike theft :wink:
SpugFab

Postby seasiren » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:51 pm

Hey Girl!!!! Glad to see you have a training log again :)
seasiren

Postby vegcrow » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:24 pm

Wow I watched a knee replacement surgery on a patient with rheumatoid. It's nasty stuff. I'm glad it's not keeping you down. Good luck in your training and in grad school!
vegcrow

Re: Be it ever so humble

Postby dublin dave » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:20 am

Frostfire wrote:Image

Awesome photo...looking forward to reading your log...
dublin dave

Postby Rochellita » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:09 pm

Great pics as usual! I love the trailer and the location.
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:16 pm

Great to have you back Frostfire :)
Kathryn wrote:You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby Frostfire » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:12 pm

Thanks guys, trailer is great I actually really enjoy it :)

26 June 2008
Climbing today, warmed up on V0's and a V1 at "Small Potatos" area, then hit my V2 project called "Nobody Gets Out of Here Alive" and I got it! First try, too. I just nailed every move and it went up, I was not expecting to make it, but I got it :) . After that, went and climbed a little at "The Gymnasium" and called it a day (had to run into town for more errands and groceries). Great day of climbing :)

Then, last night a racoon broke into my trailer and ate all my (new) bread and chips! I must be a heavy sleeper because I slept through the whole thing :oops: . What a mess :?
Frostfire

Postby The Duke » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:20 pm

Hi Frostie!

Missed you. :D
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby Wobbly Lifter » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:34 pm

Glad to see your back! :D
Better Living Through Chemistry
Wobbly Lifter

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:30 pm

That photo makes me miss climbing there!
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Frostfire » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:54 pm

28 June 2008
After work (before the park closed) I had an hour so I went out for a quick rock climb on a V1 traverse called "Women of Leisure" plus I went on a short walk with a 25-pound pack. I did the same thing the other week and made a short video (it is a silly video I made on imovie, I made it to share with my sister, but I'll post it here, too :D ).

Hueco Workout

*edited to include climb's name
Last edited by Frostfire on Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frostfire

Postby Frostfire » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:59 pm

29 June 2008
Nice long bike ride, about 17 miles by the Google Earth ruler tool's count. I kept a pretty good pace until about 2 or 3 miles out from home when I hit a wall (plus a bit of a headwind) and really slowed down. Overall was out for an hour and a half.

After getting back to camp finished up with 3 sets of 15 reps of bodyweight push-ups (too lazy to go inside and set-up my weighted backpack :D ). It was getting dark by the time I started my push-ups and as I was kneeling down to start, I saw a dark blob where I was going to put my hand only to realize it was:

At least it wasn't like the last time I did a little workout at my campsite -- last time I got stung by a scorpion between the shoulder blades when I lay down to do some skull crushers. Ouch, it was like a really bad bee sting. But that reminds me, I should start a new Critter Log :D
Frostfire

Postby Frostfire » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:58 pm

2 July 2008
Climbing this morning, started at the Warm-Up Boulders, then moved to the Split Boulder where I worked on some V0's and V0+'s. My elbow was giving me trouble, so it was a short day. The V0+ was really scary, had a bad landing, but I did it anyway :)

3 July 2008
More climbing, elbow was still bothering me a little so it was also only for a few hours. Went back to the Split Boulder, I had discovered a bolt on top the day before so brought a rope and harness along and set up a top rope so I could work on a V1 and a V2 safely (was a really bad landing).
Frostfire

Next

Return to Training Logs