Squat Video, critique my form

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Squat Video, critique my form

Postby baldy » Thu May 08, 2008 12:17 pm

Was playing with my camera in the gym this morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsIbLgjqT44

Please have a look and critique my squat technique.
User avatar
baldy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7287
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 10:23 am
Location: St Albans UK

Postby tuc » Thu May 08, 2008 12:26 pm

I think it looks all right. I don't see any problems... I think when you increase weight it's going to be much harder to keep the technique clean so it might be wise to tape heavy weight squatting too.

Be sure to point your toes to the same direction where your knees bend. I think you're doing it already but just to make sure.. I can't tell for sure because of the camera angle.
User avatar
tuc
Active Member
 
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:40 pm
Location: Turku, Finland

Postby SpugFab » Thu May 08, 2008 12:50 pm

Try taking the stance a bit wider next time, see how that feels.

And you should really dub some heavy metal over the top of your lifting videos :? It's tradition.
User avatar
SpugFab
Active Member
 
Posts: 4526
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:35 pm
Location: Frankfurt am Main

Postby bronco » Thu May 08, 2008 1:05 pm

spug_myers wrote:Try taking the stance a bit wider next time, see how that feels.

Yeah, stance looks a bit narrow to me. Maybe try to keep the chest up a bit more. Might also worth noting that running shoes are not optimal for squatting.
User avatar
bronco
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9033
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:25 am
Location: Vienna, Austria

Postby baldy » Thu May 08, 2008 1:45 pm

bronco wrote:Might also worth noting that running shoes are not optimal for squatting.


But I am a runner 8) , shoe suggestions welcome. Cross trainers, steel toe caps what do I need to look for?

I have a pair of Jingas which I love and a disco pair for gym would be great.
Image
http://www.jingashop.com/proddetail.asp?prod=PurpleandRed
User avatar
baldy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7287
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 10:23 am
Location: St Albans UK

Postby bronco » Thu May 08, 2008 2:28 pm

baldy wrote:But I am a runner 8) , shoe suggestions welcome. Cross trainers, steel toe caps what do I need to look for?

Something with a wide, flat and hard sole, and as little chushioning as possible. Converse style shoes are pretty popular for squatting, maybe try to pick up a cheap pair of something similar?
User avatar
bronco
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9033
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:25 am
Location: Vienna, Austria

Postby ninearms » Thu May 08, 2008 2:32 pm

- Big chest
- Big chest
- Big chest
- Try not to lean forwards so much
- Pull down on the bar hard to engage your lats
- Drive your elbows under the bar on the way up
- Wider stance as Spug suggested, about shoulder width or slightly wider
- Try to sit down between your legs, not over your feet
- Faster out of the bottom, as fast as you can, get those hips under the bar hard and fast, rattle those plates
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
User avatar
ninearms
Perked Member
 
Posts: 6041
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:07 pm
Location: Leicester, UK

Postby veganjosh » Thu May 08, 2008 2:46 pm

Looks pretty good overall. A few comments:

1) Depth is good --- keep that up as the weights go up!

2) Move the safety arms down one notch. You don't want to hit them on the way down --- at best it messes up your form, and at worst it'll cause you to miss lifts. With them down one notch you'll still be able to easily get down to them if you need to.

3) On the first two squats, where you're not hitting the safety arms, just as you start to come out of the bottom you drop your knees forward. I'm not exactly sure why this is happening, but I think it's just that your not properly tight in the bottom. The standard coaching point on this is to visualize the downward part of the squat as pulling down rather than just sitting..imagine that you had a cable going from your body to the ceiling, and you were trying to pull down against the cable. The goal is to be tight in the bottom rather than collapsing forward that little bit.

4) I can't tell from the camera angle, but I tend to agree with others that your feet need to come out a bit, maybe 2" on each side.
User avatar
veganjosh
Active Member
 
Posts: 656
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 1:34 am
Location: NYC

Postby runningredhead » Sat May 31, 2008 1:58 am

I'm worried about your knees. I think they are coming forward quite a bit. Try to keep them behind your toes and as close to over your ankles as possible. Your depth may not be as low that way, just really squeeze your glutes on the way up. Shoot for 90 degree angles with your legs... stick your bottom out more.
runningredhead
New Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:38 am

Postby bikinigirl24 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:57 am

ninearms, lol, i guess he did alot a little different.

For me, that is far to heavy, my knees would wabble and I'd fall over. lol
Nadine,
bikinigirl24
New Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:45 am
Location: Canada

Postby aliquis » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:06 am

Looking good, get more stable shoes or just use your socks (?), looks like you fall over a little on the first rep, maybe your heels lift on each rep aswell.
User avatar
aliquis
Active Member
 
Posts: 1750
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:30 pm
Location: Örebro, Sweden

Postby aliquis » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:12 am

runningredhead wrote:I'm worried about your knees. I think they are coming forward quite a bit. Try to keep them behind your toes and as close to over your ankles as possible. Your depth may not be as low that way, just really squeeze your glutes on the way up. Shoot for 90 degree angles with your legs... stick your bottom out more.
Ninearms said a lot so I don't know what I'm supposed to add here. But anyway, isn't that kneestuff just bullshit? Isn't that how all OL does it? Also if I remember correctly having your knees more back put a loooot of more pressure on your hips instead, I may be incorrect there thought.
baldy wrote:
bronco wrote:Might also worth noting that running shoes are not optimal for squatting.


But I am a runner 8) , shoe suggestions welcome. Cross trainers, steel toe caps what do I need to look for?
And if nothing else do you really want to ruin your running shoes in the gym? Get anything stable if on a budget, the converse all stars / chuck taylor or whatever they are called are popular among power lifters, or you could get a dedicated olympic lifting shoe.

Check the fitcast episode on video.google.com for more info.
User avatar
aliquis
Active Member
 
Posts: 1750
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:30 pm
Location: Örebro, Sweden

Postby baldy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:47 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RWkAOql6wQ

One month later 57.5kg squat, have been trying to follow the advice given. What do you guys think?[/url]
User avatar
baldy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7287
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 10:23 am
Location: St Albans UK

Postby sheilaxVx » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:19 am

aliquis wrote:
runningredhead wrote:I'm worried about your knees. I think they are coming forward quite a bit. Try to keep them behind your toes and as close to over your ankles as possible. Your depth may not be as low that way, just really squeeze your glutes on the way up. Shoot for 90 degree angles with your legs... stick your bottom out more.
Ninearms said a lot so I don't know what I'm supposed to add here. But anyway, isn't that kneestuff just bullshit? Isn't that how all OL does it? Also if I remember correctly having your knees more back put a loooot of more pressure on your hips instead, I may be incorrect there thought.[quote="baldy"][quote="bronco"

I've been hearing conflicting info about the knees to foot alignment. (From everyone to my lifting room mates to the creep dude at the gym that thought i wanted his opinion/ for him to watch all the exercises I was doing) Should I worry about my knees going further out than my feet? Why or why not?
User avatar
sheilaxVx
Member
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:28 pm
Location: Somerville,MA

Postby israel » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:48 am

isnt the knee thing just changing which muscles it works more and which joint get hurts more ( quad vs gluteus and hip vs knee) ????

and that there isnt a right way to do it - just what suits you better ???
User avatar
israel
Active Member
 
Posts: 870
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:19 pm

Next

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests